Sunday brisket on the Vision

Any type of flower pots post here

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Sunday brisket on the Vision

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:52 am

In all seriousness Y'all, Oklahoma History is really interesting. Many of my Mom and Dad's kinfolk were born and raised there. My Mom's Dad told me that at one time in Oklahoma, if you could prove "any" Native American heritage, you could get a section of land for free. This is what I was told - haven't researched it any, however. My Grandfather said that some folks were so ashamed to reveal their heritage that they passed up land that later became Oil Fields.

NeenerNeener.gif.gif
NeenerNeener.gif.gif (3.37 MiB) Viewed 3623 times
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:37 am

Parts - My Grandpa took us to Robbers Cave and told some fascinating stories about some relatives of ours and run ins with Belle Star that happened there.

At least I hope they were true…he told some whoppers too

You are correct. Both Oklahoma and Texas have some fascinating history. Seems like there is always something new to learn or a different story to hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:24 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:In all seriousness Y'all, Oklahoma History is really interesting. Many of my Mom and Dad's kinfolk were born and raised there. My Mom's Dad told me that at one time in Oklahoma, if you could prove "any" Native American heritage, you could get a section of land for free. This is what I was told - haven't researched it any, however. My Grandfather said that some folks were so ashamed to reveal their heritage that they passed up land that later became Oil Fields.

NeenerNeener.gif.gif

Back in the day proof was little more than saying you were. While it may be true the Native Americans stayed quiet many immigrants were more than happy to claim it. Many of my friends, myself included, were lead to believe one or more of our ancestors were Native American. ALL our DNA test proved otherwise. :dont:
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:30 pm

I have a lot of interest in history and is fascinated by it. I like when people in the forum tells about history from around.

My experience is that every place have some interesting history if you bother to look.

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:12 pm

My Grandfather and a friend of his spend many hours as youngsters hunting for arrowheads and relics all over Central and Southern Oklahoma and he had a collection that would be the envy of State Museums. Some of the stuff that I remember hanging in frames on his wall was every size arrowhead imaginable, hammer style tomahawks, large flint scrapers/knives, Civil War belt buckles, beads from Bones and even a 32 caliber revolver. Story was that they believed the revolver was probably thrown from a car during a Police chase. ?Bonnie and Clyde? who knows, they certainly visited the neighborhood on occasion. Most of that including a Silver Dollar Collection went to me and I have spread most of it out thru my family members.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “Big Green Egg & other ceramic cookers”