Large Big Green Egg

Any type of flower pots post here

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

TheHojo
Pilgrim

Large Big Green Egg

Postby TheHojo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:44 pm

Friend asked me to smoke some beef short ribs on his egg this weekend - never cooked on one before - do my smoking on a reverse flow offset

Quick question - how many plates of beef chuck ribs can I get on a large green egg - two ?
strength_and_pow
Cowboy

Re: Large Big Green Egg

Postby strength_and_pow » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:07 pm

I believe the large egg is 18” dia. 2 racks would probably fit but the outermost ribs will be beyond the ceramic diffuser plate so they may get overdone. If he has the second level grate then it wouldn’t be an issue. You could put something in the middle and lean the ribs against, almost vertical and probably get 3-4.

Hope this somewhat helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheHojo
Pilgrim

Postby TheHojo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:28 pm

strength_and_pow wrote:I believe the large egg is 18” dia. 2 racks would probably fit but the outermost ribs will be beyond the ceramic diffuser plate so they may get overdone. If he has the second level grate then it wouldn’t be an issue. You could put something in the middle and lean the ribs against, almost vertical and probably get 3-4.

Hope this somewhat helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you - appreciate your help
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:30 pm

Two Dino racks would be a bunch of meat. S & P gave good advice. I would try to go vertical to avoid overhanging the diffuser.

My setup would be:
Lump with a Couple chunks of oak (or your favorite smoke)
Diffuser (plate setter)
Your favorite rub
Drip pan - support the drip off of the diffuser with three wads if foil so any drippings don’t scorch/burn generating nasty smoke
Grid
Ribs
I like to smoke em around 250 dome temp

Good smoke to ya
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE

Return to “Big Green Egg & other ceramic cookers”