Lighting the kamado

Any type of flower pots post here

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Mike Fuson
Pilgrim

Re: Lighting the kamado

Postby Mike Fuson » Thu May 30, 2019 9:16 pm

Thanks for all the good info. I decided to give the kamado joe fire starters a go. I think this smoking kick I’m on may be an addiction.
samsbrands
Pilgrim

Postby samsbrands » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:42 pm

[quote="Professor Bunky"]I've been having some problems similar to Mike's with my Kamander Kamado. With my last cook (ribs), the temp started dropping after 2-3 hrs, even with fully opening up the vents. So I had to stir up the coals a bit to get it back on track. (Note to WV: this was after I added a new gasket to the rim of the cover base)

I'm guessing that I don't have the charcoal pile set up right and/or I didn't use enough fire starter squares. I may try Chasdev's technique next time or Egghead's weed burner.

Also, is there any problem using good quality briquette instead of lump, other than more ash?

I like using Jealous Devil lump charcoal, I start it with just the Eggnitor and I don’t have any sparks or smoke. Jealous Devil is coming out with briquettes soon, can’t wait to try them. Good luck.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:23 am

Briquette works very well, in fact the uniform size makes for (to me anyway) more consistent burn UNTIL the ash starts to clog the fire grate holes...but if your plan is to cook for three or four hours then the ash buildup won't cause problems.
My wife was raised on Kingsford and she prefers the flavor over any lump I've tried.
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:56 am

I've had a Primo Oval for years. I have found that Rockwood lump is the best for me. It is hard to find, so I buy it by the pallet load. Like Egghead, I use Mapp gas to light the lump. I also use a DigiQ DX2, which is worth its weight in gold to me.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life

Return to “Big Green Egg & other ceramic cookers”