Big steel keg

Any type of flower pots post here

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Reel Aggies
Pilgrim

Big steel keg

Postby Reel Aggies » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:56 am

Looking to sell my trailer offset BBQ pit and buy two XL size BGE or steel kegs. Really want the steel keg but want to see one before I buy and they have zero dealer support it seems. I cannot find anyone around SA that sells them. In competition we usually cook 2 briskest, 2-3 ribs and 4 halves chicken. Will that fit on two XL BGE or large steel kegs? Anyone in SA or Bandera/Boerne area et me come see theirs??? Thanks!! On a side note, do they smoke well enough for competition??
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Re: Big steel keg

Postby Boots » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:48 am

Assuming you are talking about the Bubba Kegs? Don't know them at all myself other that what I've seen in the stores, just thought I would claify in case others have one.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
Reel Aggies
Pilgrim

Postby Reel Aggies » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:58 am

Yeah they used to be bubba kegs, then big steel kegs, now I think char-broil kegs. All the same I believe, just been bought out a couple times.
grizz USER_AVATAR
Grizz
Bandolero

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:18 pm

I have had a Bubba Keg for about 2 years now. Size wise it is the same as the Large BGE and even can use the same accessories as the BGE. I like mine a lot but for your needs I think its going to be a bit small. I can do 2 large Butts (One over the other) or 2 MEDIUM size briskets. The biggest complaint I have with my Keg is that once you get that fire going you really can't add more wood or fuel to it without taking all your racks and meat out.
I also have a Weber Smokey Mountain 22" that would be perfect for what your looking for. You can do either 4 large butts or 4 packers at one time. It holds the temp. exceptionally well and you can very easily add more fuel to it without lifting to cover and releasing all that heat around the meat. I actually use my WSM more then anything.
Jeff
GrizzlysBBQ.com

LSG Vertical Cabinet smoker
Bubbakeg (Kamado)
21" WSM

Grizzlysbbq.com

And in the end it’s not the barbecues in your life that count. It’s the life in your barbecues. – Abraham Lincoln
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:52 am

Looking to sell my trailer offset BBQ pit and buy two XL size BGE or steel kegs. Really want the steel keg but want to see one before I buy and they have zero dealer support it seems. I cannot find anyone around SA that sells them. In competition we usually cook 2 briskest, 2-3 ribs and 4 halves chicken. Will that fit on two XL BGE or large steel kegs? Anyone in SA or Bandera/Boerne area et me come see theirs??? Thanks!! On a side note, do they smoke well enough for competition??

Would absolutely have to go to two levels on a large BGE or Bubba Keg.

I don't think you will have any trouble at all fitting 2 briskets, 2-3 ribs, and 4 halves of chicken on two XLs. The smoke simply depends on how much you want by using chips and chunks.

Two briskets on an XL would be a little tight depending on size. You may want the briskets on two levels.

I don't even remember this smoke - One of my old pics.

Here are two butts over a brisket - have done this a few times.

Good luck with it.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
ld7009 USER_AVATAR
ld7009
Pilgrim

Postby ld7009 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:15 pm

I have had a Big Steel Keg about 6 yeasts and have cooked just about everything cooked two briskets at one time
Came out perfect. I saw a picture on Big Steel Keg
Form where the extra rack was used and 5 pork buts were
Cooked at one time. I love mine once you get the feel you can hold ant temp. Cooked briskets at 225 made a few adjustments but Mel mused crushed holding temp.
One thing that is a big plus being steel holds temp with a little lump. You can reuse over and over. Long term you will save a lot of money on lump charcoal.
ld7009 USER_AVATAR
ld7009
Pilgrim

Postby ld7009 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:20 am

I’ve had a big steel Kellogg for about 11 years. Have cooked briskets etc. The Keg is sensitive to adjust but once you get the feel of it you got it. Keg uses very little lump and can be reused over and again. Being steel it has held up great. Can get temp up to 800 with a load of lump.
Cons wish they made a XL keg 24” inside diameter

Return to “Big Green Egg & other ceramic cookers”