How to store red chili ?

Anything, everything and all things chili. Cowboys like chili!

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

How to store red chili ?

Postby Norway Joe » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:03 pm

We have a little red chili plant in our tiny herb plant box. Have never grown chili before. We don't use chili every day. How do you store or preserve them? I don't want to discard them due to over ripening.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: How to store red chili ?

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:06 pm

You might want to google but I would blanch them and them seal in a freezer bag and freeze. I did this to some rather large okra yesterday that a YouTube video suggested.
3 min in boiling water
cool in ice water
seal in bags
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:07 pm

Take them out on the boat and eat them. Jump in the water to cool off if you need to.
sol.flamberg
Pilgrim

Postby sol.flamberg » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:53 pm

Back in the day I used to sell fresh chilies we used to keep them in newspaper in a cool dark place they would last maybe 3 to 4 weeks

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:45 pm

I smoke mine on hickory a while and then put them in the oven to finish drying out then grind them for seasoning. it would probably be a safer product if you had a dehydrator
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:09 am

Thank folks. Great ideas.

copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:07 pm

Rambo is correct. Maybe cut them in half, smoked and then grinding them after. Trying them with different flavored peppers to get spectrum of flavors too. I just made some hatch chili pepper powder which was fire burned. Fun experiment. Good luck
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
02ebz06 USER_AVATAR
02ebz06
Cowboy

Postby 02ebz06 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:13 am

Here in New Mexico, the stores have drum roasters.
You buy a box of chilies, they roast them for you.
We then take them home, cut the heads off, remove the charred skin (comes off easy after the roasting), vacuum seal and freeze.
A couple years ago, I dehydrated a whole box of them and ground them up into powder.

As other said, you could roast them on the grill until the skins blister and start to peel.
A little harder on the grill as you have to pay more attention to them to prevent burning.
You can buy drums for rotisseries to make the job easier.
Picture below is a homemade one someone made.
Attachments
1662889807.jpeg
LSG 20x42 Pellet Smoker (on order), CampChef PGXXL pellet smoker, Emozione Pizza Oven, CampChef Griddle
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:09 am

Thanks. Seems like it's another harvest ready on my plant so I will try this.

The drum on rotisserie was cool.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:51 am

02ebz06 wrote:Here in New Mexico, the stores have drum roasters.
You buy a box of chilies, they roast them for you.
We then take them home, cut the heads off, remove the charred skin (comes off easy after the roasting), vacuum seal and freeze.
A couple years ago, I dehydrated a whole box of them and ground them up into powder.

As other said, you could roast them on the grill until the skins blister and start to peel.
A little harder on the grill as you have to pay more attention to them to prevent burning.
You can buy drums for rotisseries to make the job easier.
Picture below is a homemade one someone made.

I had a good friend that was raised in New Mexico but migrated to the PNW and every year during Hatch Season he would usually drive to N.M. for a visit and bring back Hatch Pepper to Roast on his homemade Roaster. The years that he couldn't make the trip to N.M. I would ship him some for roasting but he got to complaining about the condition they were in after being shipped (3 days max) so I quit.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
02ebz06 USER_AVATAR
02ebz06
Cowboy

Postby 02ebz06 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:09 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:
I had a good friend that was raised in New Mexico but migrated to the PNW and every year during Hatch Season he would usually drive to N.M. for a visit and bring back Hatch Pepper to Roast on his homemade Roaster. The years that he couldn't make the trip to N.M. I would ship him some for roasting but he got to complaining about the condition they were in after being shipped (3 days max) so I quit.

When I lived in Texas, Central Market in SouthLake would have a truck load brought in every day for a week or two.
Now I'm closer to the source. :laughing7:
LSG 20x42 Pellet Smoker (on order), CampChef PGXXL pellet smoker, Emozione Pizza Oven, CampChef Griddle
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:28 pm

I need to start using/dehydrating/canning/grilling/etc the Hatch Peppers during Local Season - - - they sure do look and smell good when they hit the Stores. What is your favorite thing to do with them :?: :dont: :scratch:
02ebz06 USER_AVATAR
02ebz06
Cowboy

Postby 02ebz06 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:01 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:I need to start using/dehydrating/canning/grilling/etc the Hatch Peppers during Local Season - - - they sure do look and smell good when they hit the Stores. What is your favorite thing to do with them :?: :dont: :scratch:

Put them on just about anything that goes in a tortilla, on burgers, in fatties, chopped up in deviled eggs (jalapenos are good too), mac & cheese, and pretty much you can think of.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:58 am

I'm a huge cornie-sewer of Jalapenos and Anaheims but have never tried Hatch - - - gotta do that soon. thanks :salut:
02ebz06 USER_AVATAR
02ebz06
Cowboy

Postby 02ebz06 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:01 am

FYI - I'm sure you already know this, but, "Hatch" is the Town/Area in NM where they are grown, not a type of Chili.
Although, I guess you technically could say they are a "type" of Chili because of the soil, climate, water, etc. that they are grown in.
Not sure if they grow anything besides Anaheim there, but that is what is sold by the case in the stores.

Return to “Chili Heads”