Competition Question

Announcements, Roll Call and Results for ALL Competitions and Events.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

burnt food dude USER_AVATAR
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:30 am

DATsBBQ wrote:I think I should ping you more often. I'm competing in my first "contest" over the fourth. It's small and not sanctioned. Just a few of us locals plus a couple of guys from the flats. We set it up to allow guy/gals to have upto two entries. The judges aren't certified either. Prize money is very little....but it's a town party and I'm sure I'll have fun.

In any case I find your insights on the subject helpfull. :D

Cook your best! I wouldn't worry about judges. At a contest like this they will go with what tastes and looks good. Cook your entries how you like them and I'm sure you'll do great.

Good Luck!
"All who wander are not lost.

Sometimes they just can't remember where they parked their car
."

Da Dude's new blog
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:59 am

So getting back to D-Dogs initial post, I surmize that it's a good thing to be a little different but no so different that your entry is considered odd.

And a guy should know his region. EG that PP swimming in a bath of sweet goo wouldn't go over too well in North Carolina.

Kind of a "keep it between the ditches" outlook. 8)
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:09 am

DATsBBQ wrote:So getting back to D-Dogs initial post, I surmize that it's a good thing to be a little different but no so different that your entry is considered odd.

Yes

And a guy should know his region. EG that PP swimming in a bath of sweet goo wouldn't go over too well in North Carolina.

Kind of a "keep it between the ditches" outlook. 8)

Yes.

Tastes are slowly changing. Some people are mixing a hybrid of red vinegar sauce. I don't think its scoring to well, yet. And I bet you thought competitons were easy.

Be different but not off the scale!

."

Da Dude's new blog
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:40 pm

Everybody considering competition needs to go judge once it will give great insight. You will be tasting a dozen or more samples of the same thing and except for a couple bad or drunk cooks they are all good. They are all playing to the same rules so they are all similar. The one that stands out to you will be that one that best represents the category. In other words the best brisket to you will be that one that tastes like the best brisket to you, yes it is different than the others but not because it is more strongly spiced or sauced but because it tastes like better brisket. Hope I make sense here. So you want to be a little different but it must be in the direction to cause the perception of better meat.
tarde venientibus ossa....
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:53 pm

Papa Tom is right. Funny you mention brisket. Larry Wolfe and I had an email session about brisket and his WRB. If I don't screw up the cook my brisket will be in the top 10. The first time I tried it in a comp it came in 6th place. The most comments I've gotten from the general public is the rub doesn't over power the meat. The beef tastes like beef with the rub complimenting it. It will take a lot for me to change the rub.

Trying to be different and get noticed, people forget about not over powering the meat being turned in. I personally would like a little hotter rub but it appears it doesn't score well in the mid-west.

I agree about judging. I believe you should judge more than once. My wife and I judge several times a year. Some of my competitor friends ask me if I'm going over to the "dark" side. I laugh and tell them the truth, which they don't believe. I'm really checking out what is being turned in. The tastes and looks of each box.

Judges don't know if they judged the winners but if I taste something I like I'll think about trying to copy it. If I see something done different with the turn in box Pat and I will discuss it. Is it copying? Probably.

You can bet that if I win several contests turning in Asian chicken, soon a lot of competitors will be turning in Asian chicken.

I should keep my mouth shut... err, I mean I should keep mu fingers off the keyboard. I've rambled thru another long comment. I think I'm typed out :lol:

Dats you got me wound up by pinging me! :wink:

."

Da Dude's new blog

Return to “Cookoff Announcements and Results”