Beef Jerky

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Beef Jerky

Postby antaean7 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:42 pm

Thinking about giving it a go at beef Jerky. Anyone have any tips?
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:52 pm

Couple. If you got the heat higer than 140 you aint making jerky..your cooking. Real jerky is a dehydration thang..not a cooking thang. In fact you dont even need to light a fire if you so inclined. Just hang it out in the sun to dry. Thats how the native amerkicak injun peeples done it. Along with old Al Packer. Course he used democrats for the meat ration..round steaks works mo betta for my taste buds anyway. Cut it into strips and soak in this for 12 hours. Find some warmish well areated place and dry it out till it turns to shoe leather. Alton Brown showed how to make some using AC filters and box fan. He apparently aint priced AC filters lately. Oven door cracked open to first notch and the thermostat at low as it will go will come out to about 140. Got to shuffle it of course. Food dehyrator works well. Now if you want smoke it on it thats a hoss of a different color. I tell you how to do that for only 5 bucks. Let me know.

Pickett Durrough's Jerky Soak

1 cup wooster sauce
1 cup soy sauce
1 T. black peppa
1 T. Garlic salt
1 T. Onyawn powder

bigwheel
antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:05 pm

I want to smoke it, the mix you posted sounds good
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:38 pm

Well it sound so good cuz it the Grand Prize Winning Recipe. Where is the five bucks?

your pal,

uncle bigwheel
antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:15 pm

It is in the mail.
rich777 USER_AVATAR
Rich777
Chuck Wagon

Postby Rich777 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:19 pm

Ant this is how I do jerky. Not traditional, like mine kinda chewy. :D

Chunk of eye of round.

Trimmed

Quartered

Sliced, with the grain.

One more time

Time to soak in the good stuff. Used bigwheel's recipe and kicked it up with alittle cajun seasoning.

While it's soaking, we are waiting for the #%&*# rain to stop. I usually smoke @ 235 for 2-2.5 hrs. Sampling along the way! :lol:
a stumpted toe hurts
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:34 pm

Now that looks like fun, doing and eating.
Rain just stoped here after droping another 1.5" Oh well. CF
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:36 pm

bigwheel wrote:Couple. If you got the heat higer than 140 you aint making jerky..your cooking. Real jerky is a dehydration thang..not a cooking thang. In fact you dont even need to light a fire if you so inclined. Just hang it out in the sun to dry. Thats how the native amerkicak injun peeples done it. Along with old Al Packer. Course he used democrats for the meat ration..round steaks works mo betta for my taste buds anyway. Cut it into strips and soak in this for 12 hours. Find some warmish well areated place and dry it out till it turns to shoe leather. Alton Brown showed how to make some using AC filters and box fan. He apparently aint priced AC filters lately. Oven door cracked open to first notch and the thermostat at low as it will go will come out to about 140. Got to shuffle it of course. Food dehyrator works well. Now if you want smoke it on it thats a hoss of a different color. I tell you how to do that for only 5 bucks. Let me know.

BW,
You could compete with Larry the Cable Guy! :lol: :lol: I get such a tickle out of your posts! :lol: I guess maybe I need a life! :oops: :roll: :lol:

Laura

Pickett Durrough's Jerky Soak

1 cup wooster sauce
1 cup soy sauce
1 T. black peppa
1 T. Garlic salt
1 T. Onyawn powder

bigwheel
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:54 pm

rich777, thanks for the pictures. That looks AWSOME!!!!!
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:07 pm

Great looking treats, Rich :D :D
Jim
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:32 pm

Well only got a couple of bones of contention here. I would not want to do a jerky marinate in an aluminum pan. Got the old reactivity factor to deal with here..plust it ought to tend to eat up the pan fairly quick and the aluminum in the meat eat up a person's brain and give a bad old case of Oldtimers disease. Also woulda swear I seen a bottle of Frenchies wooster sauce in the background. Lea n Perrins is the only maker of real wooster sauce. In fact for them who cant speel wooster it has a synonym called Lea n Perrins. I got this straight from Justeen so you know it got to be right:) I have to tell you the story of how wooster sauce got its name one of these days.

bigwheel
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:56 pm

Well glad to give a chuckle. I am here to have fun. I play compooter instead of watching TV. Talk about somebody needing to get a life huh?
I really consider myself closer to Ron White. Swear I used to sell camping memberships and lake lots with him back in the 80's. Whilst the warden worked with his brother over at the timeshare operation located across the road. That leisure suit looks real familar:)

bigwheel

copkid wrote:
bigwheel wrote:
BW,
You could compete with Larry the Cable Guy! :lol: :lol: I get such a tickle out of your posts! :lol: I guess maybe I need a life! :oops: :roll: :lol:

Laura
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:28 pm

Ok now this assuming you going to turn into a jerky afficiando. First you need an old non worky refrigerator or upright freezer. Take the burner off a electric stove top. That be 220 Volts or amps or whutever and it will have two loops. Trace out the loops and hook it up to regular old 110 house current..positive negative to a single loop...blah blah blah. Set it in the bottom of the ice box..put a pie pan on top..then throw a chunk of whutever wood you like in the pie pan. Hang up the jerky..,or use the existing racks. Shut the door and plug it in. Come back tomorrow and you will have jerky. Simple huh? Now I have made a bunch of these things and I used to shoot a hole in the back of it to run the wires. .30.30 works well as does a .357 Magnesium. If I was to build one tomorrow..other than the two which is currently under construction believe I just shut the door on the wires. City dwellers could get in a heap o twoble trying to do it right.

bigwheel

antaean7 wrote:It is in the mail.
rich777 USER_AVATAR
Rich777
Chuck Wagon

Postby Rich777 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:15 pm

Finished

Image :D :D
a stumpted toe hurts
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:26 pm