New Project Ideas

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

HeadzinAlaska
Pilgrim

New Project Ideas

Postby HeadzinAlaska » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:15 am

All right guys, new member here, I see there are obviously a bunch of guys here who know what they are talking about with bbq pits so I am looking for ideas.

I have been wanting to build a good size pit here for a while, but am way to cheap to pay premium $$ for it. I happened to come by a piece of 36" by 6 foot, 3/4 ich steel pipe for about 100 bucks so I jumped on it. So here I am with this big ol piece of steel thinking of ways to turn it into a brisket, sausage and chicken making machine. I do have a plasma cutter, welder, etc and plan to do my own work.

One thing I am not so sure of is the metal thickness and diameter of this pipe, its pretty darn big. I don't see many on here that big, will it be a problem to get heated up and keep that way? I assume once its hot its going to stay hot a while with the 3/4 inch steel.

Also, is there a big benefit if I were to cut 2 feet off and offset it down for a firebox, or just leave the whole thing intact and burn in one end of it? Obviously this is a different ballgame from my trusty New Braunfels smoker that has served me well up until this point.

Oh yea, and my plan is to build the pit on legs so I can use my bucket loader and mount it off my back porch, or drop it onto and attach to my utility trailer and make it mobile. So anyway, just looking for ideas and feedback at this point, any good (even not so good) advice would be appreciated. Once I get the project going, I'll definately post pics....
jlabolt USER_AVATAR
jlabolt
Rustler

Re: New Project Ideas

Postby jlabolt » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:26 am

That's one big ol' piece of pipe you got there. I'd drop 2 feet and make an offset firebox. In a piece that big around you ought to be able to put in at least 3 racks, which will give you more than enough cooking room. Make sure to post pics of the build.
Butts-N-Racks Competition BBQ
Homemade Reverse Flow
UDS
Chargriller w/ side firebox
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:29 am

While you're waiting on replies.....

Stop over to the Wanted Posters section and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.
Jim
HeadzinAlaska
Pilgrim

Postby HeadzinAlaska » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:21 am

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9985

My wanted poster....
HeadzinAlaska
Pilgrim

Postby HeadzinAlaska » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:13 pm

Ok so I tried to pick the pipe up with my bucket loader (it's been on my trailer since I got it) and its too heavy. So I am looking to trade or sell this piece of pipe for a thinner walled one. So if anyone in the Lavernia area wants to trade for a smaller piece of pipe, I'd be interested. This would be great if you were to trailer mount it, but I want one I can load up/down with my bucket loader. by the way, I did some calculations and a 3/4 inch X 36inch X 6 foot pipe weighs about 1,700 lbs or so.
thanks!
DerKoch
Rustler

Postby DerKoch » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:36 am

My wife already told me not to even think about buying it. LOL that is one heavy pipe.
The weight for it is 281 pounds per foot.
If you ever need to check out any weight on pipe give this calculator a try
http://www.steel-pipes-tubes.com/steel- ... lator.html
HeadzinAlaska
Pilgrim

Postby HeadzinAlaska » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:14 pm

Well I got it traded for something more sane and a little cash to boot! Now I have a piece of 5' 4", 29" diameter, 3/8 wall pipe. Now I am in the process of designinig the new rig...

I see from searching and the firebox calculator someone posted here (thanks by the way) the general rule is 1/3, 2/3 when looking at firebox vs cooking chamber. that leaves me with a 21.5 inch firebox, and 42.5 inch cooking chamber. I'm stingy and wanted to make the box smaller to get more cooking surface, but I guess 42 will be enough to do anything I will want to cook...

Well I'll get to cutting and post some pics as I start building this thang....
HeadzinAlaska
Pilgrim

Postby HeadzinAlaska » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:39 pm

Oh ya and I had a question for someone on here...I plan to make this a Reverse flow setup, with a piece of 1/4 - 3/8 inch plate running under the cooking area...

How much gap or what kind of opening should be left in the end of the plate? The cooking chamber is about 42" X 29". any advice or comments would be appreciated on that...
brentski USER_AVATAR
brentski
Cowboy

Postby brentski » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:31 pm

The fun has started!
zilla USER_AVATAR
Zilla
Rustler

Postby Zilla » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:53 pm

You're too close to the North Pole to have reverse flow cooker. You'll have smoke coming out the intake up there what with that dern Aurora Borealis reeking havoc with your smoke flow....Truth be known, apparently, Reverse flow smokers only work in Georgia. Something about the prevalence of swamp gas from the Okefenokee something or other...I dunno.... :lol:

Anyway get rid of that behemoth pipe and get you some 24". You don't have enough steel for the counter weight anyway, let alone it sinking into the permafrost.

What type of wood is available to smoke with up thar in Alaski? You should consider an insulated firebox design and a welders blanket custom cut for the pit chamber in the cooler weather.
HeadzinAlaska
Pilgrim

Postby HeadzinAlaska » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:47 pm

You're too close to the North Pole to have reverse flow cooker. You'll have smoke coming out the intake up there what with that dern Aurora Borealis reeking havoc with your smoke flow....Truth be known, apparently, Reverse flow smokers only work in Georgia. Something about the prevalence of swamp gas from the Okefenokee something or other...I dunno....

zilla...my username misled you I think...my Head is in Alaska (I lived there for 5 years and would love to go back), but my butt and the rest of me is firmly planted here in Lavernia, TX....

Anyway, I did get rid of that big ol pipe for a smaller one. Now just designing and plotting things out...

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”