Need Help!! Problem with my pit

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

willywest USER_AVATAR
WillyWest
Pilgrim

Need Help!! Problem with my pit

Postby WillyWest » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:15 am

I have a problem with my thermostat situation. I bought that at a bbq store and simply set it in the hole in the pit door. I don't understand how it is supposed to fasten to the door. Should i get a new thermostat? It has threads, but they are far below the door when dropped in.
txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Re: New from Katy, Tx. Need Help!!

Postby txngent » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:56 am

Take it with you to the local hardware store. Go to the electrical section and fit it with a couple of electric panel flat nuts. If you have room between the threads you can get you a couple of big flat washers to help with any hole gaps.
One Backwoods Fatboy, One Traeger Texas Grill, just looking for a trailer!
Randy
n2dabluebbq USER_AVATAR
n2dabluebbq
Bandolero

Postby n2dabluebbq » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:34 pm

sounds as though you may have the wrong size thermometer. the only ways to fix that is to one... get the right thread size thermometer, or two, get a nut to secure it to the door. and yes the washers are not a bad idea. remember you want it to seal as best as you can get it to. and while you are at the store, don't forget to get the oven thermometers so you can have the correct reading at the grate. :D

looking forward to seeing your progress. i know you can do it with the given information. :wink:
txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Postby txngent » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:59 pm

I guess I may have spoke before I asked (don't know that much about those type pits), I was thinking the the lid did not have threads. If your lid has threads and the threads on the gauge don't fit, then n2d... gave you the answer. If you just have to make it fit, then you are will need a threaded bushing fitting to fill the gap.
Randy
willywest USER_AVATAR
WillyWest
Pilgrim

Postby WillyWest » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:37 pm

You were correct Randy, its just a hole and the thermometer goes all the way in to the housing. The nut that I assume is the nut you turn to calibrate it is smaller than the hole. I am goin to have to do like you said and put washers and a electrical panel nut on it.

After getting a chance to thoroughly read the posts it looks like i am going to have to break the pit down and refurbish it. I guess no bbq this weekend. My father has a shop with a small paint booth. I will be spending the weeknd grinding and painting it. Then i have to rebuild the base.

A few of you have mentioned the amount of charcoal ash in my firebox. I cleaned it out before the cook, so all that is from two bags of kingsford blue. How much lump or briquettes is typically used in a cook? I also opted to put water soaked hickory chips in a metal coffee can and set it on my coal for the smoke. Is this ok? I had a hard time controlling the temp when i put chunks and chips right on the fire. The flames would send it over 350 degrees. Are you supposed to spray it with a water bottle to kill the flames?? Is the water pan too close to the firebox? It looks like it could be restricting the air flow to the bottom of the smoking chamber. If so, where should it be? What is the purpose of the grate that goes in the middle of the firebox? ( i removed it) There is no bottom grate in my firebox for the coal to sit on. Is that important?? Sorry for all the questions, they just keep coming.
n2dabluebbq USER_AVATAR
n2dabluebbq
Bandolero

Postby n2dabluebbq » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:10 pm

ok as far as the charcoal goes, maybe you might ought to try the "minion method" that should give you a longer burn time. i don't recommend soaking the wood chips. if anything maybe preheat them on top of the firebox. i have found that the soaking creates a rather large temp spike.
can't speak intelligently on the water pan as a i don't use one and never have.
on your fire box, i think you need to find a grate AND a piece of metal to cover the bottom(prevents burnout). that should help some with your airflow. you shouldn't have to spray the fire. if you are having issues with the fire not cooperating, maybe you need to look at air intake leaks.
hey on the thermometer thing, measure the hole. if its is 1/2 inch then a thermometer should screw right in. might need to add washers to the outer part of the door.here is a link to a site chock full of thermometers ... http://www.kck.com/tel-tru_grill_smoker ... meter.html
another thing you might try to help use less fuel is to put a blanket on the smoking chamber to help prevent heat loss which occurs at a higher rate with a thinner metal. here is a source for welding blankets..... http://www.weldshield.com/
hope this helps
willywest USER_AVATAR
WillyWest
Pilgrim

Postby WillyWest » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:00 pm

The hole is exactly 3/4". I couldn't seem to find one for that size hole. Seems they had one for every other size. figures. As for the minion method i read the article on this website. http://www.homebbq.com/index.php/archives/82. So if i'm reading that right one good batch of coal can last 8 to 10 hours at a steady temp. right? Other than that lose the water pan, put a metal floor under the coal, insulate the firebox if necessary, and learn what the temp is near the meat at grate level. got it
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:59 pm

WillyWest wrote:The hole is exactly 3/4". I couldn't seem to find one for that size hole. Seems they had one for every other size. figures. As for the minion method i read the article on this website. http://www.homebbq.com/index.php/archives/82" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank. So if i'm reading that right one good batch of coal can last 8 to 10 hours at a steady temp. right? Other than that lose the water pan, put a metal floor under the coal, insulate the firebox if necessary, and learn what the temp is near the meat at grate level. got it

Go to the hardware store and in the pipe fitting sectoin get a pipe reducer for 1/2" - 3/8 pipe that will screw right into that hole and the thermo will screw into that.
Measure the inside dimensions of the fire box, and get yourself enough steel 1/2" angle iron so when it is cut to fit across the width you have 3-4 pieces and put a piece of expanded metal on top of it for a charcoal grate. blue bag Kingsford produces to much ash, switch to lump and you will never buy that junk again. I get about 5-6 hours on 1 load of fuel on average I go through 15 # during a butt or brisket secession. My pit is really tight with only 2 very small leaks however if it is windy or the temps drop below 40 deg I have used up to 25#.
Wood chips are a waste of effort and money in an offset pit.. Wood chunks is the way to go no need to soak them just mix them in with your lump. After the first load of fuel there is no reason to add ore wood as the meat won't take any more smoke.
Last edited by BluDawg on Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
n2dabluebbq USER_AVATAR
n2dabluebbq
Bandolero

Postby n2dabluebbq » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:01 am

what blu said /\/\/\/\
newbq USER_AVATAR
NewBQ
Outlaw

Postby NewBQ » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:36 am

Can't wait to see the results after all this info! You gonna be makin some good BBQ!
txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Postby txngent » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:08 am

WW, if you are going to take it to your shop and work on it.... how are you on welding? This question is for the hole for temp gauge. You can always weld or braise in a threaded coupling. Then that problem is fixed and you should never have issues with the hole. Your concerns of the temp going too high.... work your air flow control on your firebox...less air, less burn, let temp. My question about your coal level is because if you are burning on a pile of ash during your cook, you are going to have heck with fire/heat control. You want to make sure you have some room under your fire to keep the air flow. A piece of expanded metal or old grill work fine, but you could go to the level as building a coal basket.

As far as anything else, make sure your fire is in the middle to end opposite main cooking chamber as much as possible. I know a long time ago I had a Hondo similar in your design. If you get too close to the main cooking chamber, the fire will crawl and give you a real hot spot with your limited grill space. I have seen mods for your style cooker where then make a heat deflector to help keep the fire from crawling into the main chamber.
Randy
willywest USER_AVATAR
WillyWest
Pilgrim

Postby WillyWest » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:35 pm

I have a small mig welder. I wouldn't call myself a welder but i get by. No need to weld a anything for the thermo though, the reducing pipe fitting work perfectly (much obliged bludawg).
I need to rebuild the base. Any ideas?? I was thinking of angle iron and expanded metal similiar to this one? The model i have is the char broil silver smoker 03201560. It is pretty heavy. What gauge iron should i use?? Is this a stick welding job as opposed to my little mig? On second thought I might just have to reorder the bottom from char broil. This looks like a job for an experienced fabricator.
n2dabluebbq USER_AVATAR
n2dabluebbq
Bandolero

Postby n2dabluebbq » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:39 am

got a pic of the bottom that you say you need to redo? maybe a good pic will help in seeing what needs to be done.
txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Postby txngent » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:26 am

Sounds like you off to a good start.
Randy
willywest USER_AVATAR
WillyWest
Pilgrim

Postby WillyWest » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:32 am

here she is. The whole bottom half is rusted and warped.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”