Need a good Honey Glaze Recipe for a Ham I am smoking

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

wheelterrapin
Pilgrim

Need a good Honey Glaze Recipe for a Ham I am smoking

Postby wheelterrapin » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:37 pm

We have decided to dispense with the traditional Christmas Dinner of Turkey and Dressing and just have a good old fashioned BBQ. I will be smoking some Pork Butts, chicken, brisket and a Ham. I have never smoked a Ham before and I need some help from the group.

My grandson's girlfriend works at a local Nursng Home and they gave her a 10 pound ham for Christmas and she wants me to smoke it. I would like a good Honey Glaze Recipe that I will start brushing on about half way through the cooking process. Simce I will be smoking at around 225 to 235 degrees how long should I leave the ham in the smoker?

Thanks for the help,

Paul
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Re: Need a good Honey Glade Recipe for a Ham I am smoking

Postby OSD » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:06 pm

I'm guessing it's an already cooked ham, so all you will need to do is re-heat it. I usually cook them to about 140° - 145° internal temp and then loose wrap in foil and let it rest for 30 minutes before slicing.
As for a glaze, I use a pineapple juice, brown sugar, and honey mixture.

Here's a link to a double smoked ham I did earlier this year........

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6479" target="_blank
Jim
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Re: Need a good Honey Glaze Recipe for a Ham I am smoking

Postby Gator » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:08 pm

What Jim said + a dash of cloves for me. I might throw on some sliced pineapple during the cook too.

;)
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:11 pm

Gator wrote:What Jim said + a dash of cloves for me. I might throw on some sliced pineapple during the cook too.

;)

Thanks Gator, I forgot to mention about putting the sliced pineapple on the ham. 8) I believe the ham in the link has the pineapple on it. :wink:
Jim
wheelterrapin
Pilgrim

Postby wheelterrapin » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:14 pm

Darn Jim that ham looked so good that I am now thinking of going and get one to have for myself. What do you mean by double smoke?, have not heard this term before. Also do I need to put foil over the ham at anytime during the smoke to keep it from getting so dark from the smoke?

Thanks for the help and info, I appreciate it very much.

Paul

OSD wrote:I'm guessing it's an already cooked ham, so all you will need to do is re-heat it. I usually cook them to about 145° - 155° internal temp and then loose wrap in foil and let it rest for 30 minutes before slicing.

wheelterrapin
Pilgrim

Postby wheelterrapin » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:16 pm

Jim I meant to ask "do you have a standard recipe for the amount so pineapple juice, brown sugar and honey you use"?

OSD wrote:I'm guessing it's an already cooked ham, so all you will need to do is re-heat it. I usually cook them to about 145° - 155° internal temp and then loose wrap in foil and let it rest for 30 minutes before slicing.

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:24 pm

[quote="wheelterrapin"]Darn Jim that ham looked so good that I am now thinking of going and get one to have for myself. What do you mean by double smoke?, have not heard this term before. Also do I need to put foil over the ham at anytime during the smoke to keep it from getting so dark from the smoke?

Paul

Most hams are already cooked or smoked, thus when re-heating in a smoker it's called double smoked. I usually use apple wood and pecan for the smoke. I don't foil while in the smoker, the pineapple will protect the ham and it great eating when you serve the ham. :wink:

the glaze is easy. I use the juice from a 15-16 oz can of sliced pineapple ( slices go on the ham ). Melt 1 stick of unsalted butter, add in the pineapple juice, 1/4 cup of dark brown sugar, and 1/4 cup of honey. whisk it together, bring it to a boil, then let it simmer for a couple minutes. It will thicken up a little as it cools. then baste or pour it over the ham, 2 or 3 times ( til it's all used ) toward the end of the cook.
Jim
wheelterrapin
Pilgrim

Postby wheelterrapin » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:34 pm

Thanks, just showed the wife the pictures of your double smoked Ham and now it is a done deal, we will be having one of these fpr Christmas. Thanks so much for all of the help.

Paul

OSD wrote:
wheelterrapin wrote:Darn Jim that ham looked so good that I am now thinking of going and get one to have for myself. What do you mean by double smoke?, have not heard this term before. Also do I need to put foil over the ham at anytime during the smoke to keep it from getting so dark from the smoke?

Paul

Most hams are already cooked or smoked, thus when re-heating in a smoker it's called double smoked. I usually use apple wood and pecan for the smoke. I don't foil while in the smoker, the pineapple will protect the ham and it great eating when you serve the ham. :wink:

the glaze is easy. I use the juice from a 15-16 oz can of sliced pineapple ( slices go on the ham ). Melt 1 stick of unsalted butter, add in the pineapple juice, 1/4 cup of dark brown sugar, and 1/4 cup of honey. whisk it together, bring it to a boil, then let it simmer for a couple minutes. It will thicken up a little as it cools. then baste or pour it over the ham, 2 or 3 times ( til it's all used ) toward the end of the cook.
wheelterrapin
Pilgrim

Postby wheelterrapin » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:58 pm

One more question Jim, what temperature did you smoke at and about how long did it take to smoke the Ham?

Paul

OSD wrote:
wheelterrapin wrote:Darn Jim that ham looked so good that I am now thinking of going and get one to have for myself. What do you mean by double smoke?, have not heard this term before. Also do I need to put foil over the ham at anytime during the smoke to keep it from getting so dark from the smoke?

Paul

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:23 pm

I usually smoke them at around 250°. Rough guess is about 20 min. per pound, but I go by internal temp. 140°-145° internal and I pull it out of the smoker. You're just re-heating it, so you don't need to go higher, if you do you will end up with a dried out ham. Also go easy on the smoke, it will absorb the smoke flavor real easy.
Jim
wheelterrapin
Pilgrim

Postby wheelterrapin » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:07 pm

Thanks Jim, I appreciate all of the information and hep you have so generoulsy given, it has taken the fear out of smoking this Ham for me. I have an Old Hickory CTO Rotisserie Smoker so I can hold the 250 degrees pretty accurately.

Paul

OSD wrote:I usually smoke them at around 250°. Rough guess is about 20 min. per pound, but I go by internal temp. 140°-145° internal and I pull it out of the smoker. You're just re-heating it, so you don't need to go higher, if you do you will end up with a dried out ham. Also go easy on the smoke, it will absorb the smoke flavor real easy.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:23 pm

I like to put a 2" cross hatch on them and stick in a whole clove where the lines intersect. I've used a glaze made out of orange marmalade that is thinned out using dark rum with good results if you're not into the pineapple thing although those are cheap here (2 for $3) recently.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
wheelterrapin
Pilgrim

Postby wheelterrapin » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:24 pm

Thanks Dave for the suggestion, I appreciate it.

Paul

DATsBBQ wrote:I like to put a 2" cross hatch on them and stick in a whole clove where the lines intersect. I've used a glaze made out of orange marmalade that is thinned out using dark rum with good results if you're not into the pineapple thing although those are cheap here (2 for $3) recently.
hj USER_AVATAR
Hj
Bandolero

Postby Hj » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:37 pm

Here is several for u

Ham Glaze Hj's

10 lb. Ham
11/4 c. packed dark brown sugar
1/3 c. pineapple juice
1/3 c. honey
1/3 large orange juiced use some zest
2 T. Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. ground cloves

Use small saucepan to combine all the above.
Bring to a boil- reduce heat- simmer 5 to 10 minutes. Set aside.
Last 40 minutes of baking. brush glaze all over ham –basting about every 10 minutes..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pineapple Orange Sauce for Ham

2 T. cornstarch
¼ c. brown sugar
¼ tsp. cloves
¼ tsp. cinnamon
1-2 oranges
¾ c. orange juice
1-2/3 c. pineapple juice

Boil until clear n thickened.

Slice cooked ham- trim off fat. Pour a little sauce in bottom of ovenproof shallow baking dish. Arrange slices of ham in dish. Pour sauce over top.

Bake preheat350 F.30-35 minutes until hot and bubbly.

Make extra sauce n refrigerate. Heat up with additional ham for a second meal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``
Brown Sugar Honey Glaze
1/8 c. prepared brown mustard
4 T. honey
1 c. brown sugar packed
whole cloves score rind n fat stick in top n sides
~~~~~~
Honey Baked Ham Hj's -this one is very good also.

1 ham cooked bone in pre-sliced or slice it ur self
1 c. sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground clove
1/4 teaspoon paprika
dash ground ginger

Have use all these n others.. all recipes for about 10 to 15 lbs. hams..

Enjoy
A mistake is sometimes a great creation
wheelterrapin
Pilgrim

Postby wheelterrapin » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:24 pm

Thanks a million, I appreciate these recipes and will definitely be using one of them as one of the is very similar to Jim's.

Paul

Hj wrote:Here is several for u

Ham Glaze Hj's

10 lb. Ham
11/4 c. packed dark brown sugar
1/3 c. pineapple juice
1/3 c. honey
1/3 large orange juiced use some zest
2 T. Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. ground cloves

Use small saucepan to combine all the above.
Bring to a boil- reduce heat- simmer 5 to 10 minutes. Set aside.
Last 40 minutes of baking. brush glaze all over ham –basting about every 10 minutes..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pineapple Orange Sauce for Ham

2 T. cornstarch
¼ c. brown sugar
¼ tsp. cloves
¼ tsp. cinnamon
1-2 oranges
¾ c. orange juice
1-2/3 c. pineapple juice

Boil until clear n thickened.

Slice cooked ham- trim off fat. Pour a little sauce in bottom of ovenproof shallow baking dish. Arrange slices of ham in dish. Pour sauce over top.

Bake preheat350 F.30-35 minutes until hot and bubbly.

Make extra sauce n refrigerate. Heat up with additional ham for a second meal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``
Brown Sugar Honey Glaze
1/8 c. prepared brown mustard
4 T. honey
1 c. brown sugar packed
whole cloves score rind n fat stick in top n sides
~~~~~~
Honey Baked Ham Hj's -this one is very good also.

1 ham cooked bone in pre-sliced or slice it ur self
1 c. sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground clove
1/4 teaspoon paprika
dash ground ginger

Have use all these n others.. all recipes for about 10 to 15 lbs. hams..

Enjoy

Return to “Request a Recipe”