Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

magoo5150 USER_AVATAR
Magoo5150
Pilgrim

Wet Aged Ribeye

Postby Magoo5150 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:21 pm

Hey guys,

Can somebody tell me about how long it is safe to leave a whole ribeye loin in the fridge. It is cryovaced and and has been sitting on a bottom shelf for about a month. Will it still be good, how can I tell? I havent opened it yet but it is still bright red with no discoloration what soever. :?: :?:
Press any key to continue.... Or any other key to cancel!
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: Wet Aged Ribeye

Postby BluDawg » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:56 pm

It should have a use by date on on the Cryovaced pkg. labeling. I'd check that first. The color is a fairly good indicator. As is the firmness if it feels really mushy.I don't think would eat it. If you open the pkg. and it omits a foul odor, don't eat it. If it passes these tests then I would say it would probably be ok, However If you decide to cook and consume and it results in sickness or death don't be pointing any fingers at me. If you have any doubt that it may be spoiled throw it in the trash and write it off as a lesson learned.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:12 pm

We don't know how old it was when you bought it and the cryovac packed units often aren't dated but the box it came in was. The color is a good indication, look for air (gas) bubbles in the bag. Like BD said the next test is the sniff test. I don't believe a month is too long depending on storage temperatures but it is at the edge of that envelope. Might be the best ribeye you've had in a while.
tarde venientibus ossa....
Liteitup
Pilgrim

Postby Liteitup » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:43 pm

Lots of steak houses won't consider serving it w/less than three weeks on it. That said, Papa is right. You (probably) don't know how old it really is. As long as it's been kept at a consistent (low) temp, I wouldn't be at all worried.
When you cut the bag and drain it, there will be an odor. Unless it's gawdawful, let it air out and then do the smell test. If you're cutting steaks, see if it "blooms" when the air hits it.
Bottom line, at a month I'm wanting to do something w/it, but I'm not afraid of it either.
Again, Papa is right...probably the best ribeye you've had in awhile.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:56 am

If the meat has been in a COLD fridge and one that is not opened much, it is most likely OK. Once you open it up, you will know... You might have to do some trimming of the outside to get rid of some funk. If you've ever been in an aging locker you would not believe what some of that beef looks like before they trim it. Of course that is dry aging... I wouldn't wait much longer to open it up to see...
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:48 am

I agree, it's most likely at it's limit. But, if it looks good, feels good, and it doesn't have a foul smell when you open the cryo. Rinse it and maybe take a very thin slice off one end, then see if it has any odor. After that..............................

When in doubt, throw it out.

and chalk it up to a lesson learned.
Jim
magoo5150 USER_AVATAR
Magoo5150
Pilgrim

Postby Magoo5150 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:58 am

Thanks guys, I think I will count this one as a lesson learned, off to the Meat Market for some steaks for today!

Again, Thanks
Press any key to continue.... Or any other key to cancel!
cowboylikeme USER_AVATAR
Cowboylikeme
Pilgrim

Postby Cowboylikeme » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:24 pm

lol, yall gonna love this..... Growing up around big cattle ranchers, one guy named Bob Roe, had me do some work on his house for him. I was not expecting payment because it was a small favor to ask.... BUt before I left, he told me "Hold On 1 Sec" I waited and he brought to me a vacuum sealed tenderloin from an angus cow that he had "HAD" to slaughter the day before....... I took this gift and instantly had thoughts about grilling me up some filet mignon... Or rich people steaks, as we like to call it. ANYWAY, I grabbed this 28 inch hunk of meat and I say thank you, sir, and I head out the door. He stopped me and said, "Before you eat that....." Im like uh oh......... He said "before you cook that, you stick it in the fridge and dont open it.... Once a day, you flip it over, This keeps the blood running thru the meat, and you do this for 30 DAYS!..."

Im thinking in 30 days, that meat is gonna be BAAAAAD!

He reassured me that he knew what he was talking about. I thought ok... I might be able to trust a man that knows cows like I know my own house.... SO I went home, put that tenderloin in the fridge and turned her over top to bottom, once daily for 30 days..... By then I couldnt wait... I opened it and it smelled like butter... I dont know why but thats the smell that I get everytime..... Butter. Anyway to make a long story just a bit shorter, it was the best tenderloin that me or any of my friends have ever eaten. I had a huge cookout at my house and it was verrrrrrrrrry successful.

I was thinking that due to the freshness of the meat, and all that.... (the quality blah blah)
That this was a fluke..... SO I went to SAMS CLUB......and bought an entire tenderloin and tried the same method..... 30 days went by and I turned it faithfully day by day. And it was just as good........... IT WAS JUST AS GOOD!

I do this to every big hunk of meat I get thats vacuum sealed.......... It works!!!!

Try it sometime, you may discover that secret that you have always wondered about....... I swear by it......

PS.. Just dont try doing this to one of those Saran wrapped steaks from the store..... (it will be green by the time 30 days is up, trust me I found that one out due to science) :)
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:29 pm

Cowboylikeme wrote:lol, yall gonna love this..... Growing up around big cattle ranchers, one guy named Bob Roe, had me do some work on his house for him. I was not expecting payment because it was a small favor to ask.... BUt before I left, he told me "Hold On 1 Sec" I waited and he brought to me a vacuum sealed tenderloin from an angus cow that he had "HAD" to slaughter the day before....... I took this gift and instantly had thoughts about grilling me up some filet mignon... Or rich people steaks, as we like to call it. ANYWAY, I grabbed this 28 inch hunk of meat and I say thank you, sir, and I head out the door. He stopped me and said, "Before you eat that....." Im like uh oh......... He said "before you cook that, you stick it in the fridge and dont open it.... Once a day, you flip it over, This keeps the blood running thru the meat, and you do this for 30 DAYS!..."

Im thinking in 30 days, that meat is gonna be BAAAAAD!

<snip>

Yeppers, that's wet again alright... Do briskets that way from time to time.
cowboylikeme USER_AVATAR
Cowboylikeme
Pilgrim

Postby Cowboylikeme » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:32 pm

Thats the best meat I have ever had.... :D

I was shocked that not everyone knows about this...... I share it with everyone just because it really is good and its astonishing to normal people that you can do that to a hunk of meat and it is BETTER..........

LOL

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”