need help

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

johnthebaptist576
Pilgrim

need help

Postby johnthebaptist576 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:35 pm

i am new to this board and seeking advice. i have been barbecuing on a weber kettle for years and recently came across a home made smoker on craigslist which seemed like a great deal. i do not know alot about them. i fired it up to test temperatures today and with an entire bag on coal in the firebox i couldnt get above 200 degrees. more like 150 at best. i am dumbfounded. could someone please look at pics of my setup and tell me if they notice a problem with the design. links to photos are : http://imagebin.org/54748 http://imagebin.org/54752
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Re: need help

Postby OSD » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:32 am

Have you checked and calibrated your thermo?? Might be way off.
Also you need to run with the exhaust wide open and control the temp by adjusting the air intakes.
It sounds like an air flow problem to me.

Stop over to the Wanted Posters section and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself. :D
Jim
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:51 am

Where are you measuring the temps? Agree with OSD on having the thermo checked. Can you describe, or post some pics of, how those upright pipes enter the cooking chamber? Is there a baffle over them?

Just a few observations. The tubes connecting the main cooking chamber to the firebox seem to be a bit on the small side. Can not tell from that pic, but how much intake do you have on the firebox? If I were to cook on this pit, I would increase the size of the pipes between to two tanks, possibly move the firebox closer to the cook chamber and increase the size of the exhaust stack... Leave the exhaust stack wide open at all times until you learn your pit.
johnthebaptist576
Pilgrim

Postby johnthebaptist576 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:03 pm

here are some new pics. i can take a pic of anything you want if you can help. i bought it for $125 and its solid built. im curious if the design is flawed or the user is flawed :D http://imagebin.org/54863" target="_blank i have a candy therm on the front that is visible and also an oven therm inside which ive cooked with for awhile it is accurate. http://imagebin.org/54865" target="_blank these vents are on both sides of the firebox they are small http://imagebin.org/54866" target="_blank best pic i can get right now of the pipes that enter the cooking chamber.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:10 pm

Looks to me like your intake air holes need to be bigger. That would increase your air flow and really help with temp control. You can always close down bigger holes with the tab if you need to, but the way they are now you can't open them up more if needed.

Plus those vent holes are up fairly high in relation to where the fire grate would be. You may want to put a couple vent holes in the front below the fire grate level. This will help with the burn. As it is now it's not getting very much air under the fire to help it burn hotter, it's only getting air from the top, so it's not getting a good hot base of charcoal.
Jim
johnthebaptist576
Pilgrim

Postby johnthebaptist576 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:14 pm

ok so you think the design with the firebox and the size of the pipes going to the cooking chambers might be ok? i can cut bigger intakes no problem. how big would you suggest? and each side?
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:18 pm

I was fixing my post. re-read the post above . :D
Jim
johnthebaptist576
Pilgrim

Postby johnthebaptist576 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:22 pm

i think i need a new fire grate. there are 3 pieces that set on the floor of the firebox and both sides but they are not elevated at all. the grates just sit on the bottom of the firebox. i thought that was strange but tried it anyway. the coals should not be sitting on the bottom of the firebox right? they need air to get underneath them?
fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Postby FR8 Train » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:24 pm

I agree with OSD. You need to have good air flow below the fire or you won't get a good burn. You will also see this problem if a lot of ash builds up beneath the fire. You need to have a few inches under your fire to keep a good burn.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:28 pm

Yep, that's most likely the main problem. :D
You could set them on a couple of fire brick to raise the grat up and allow air flow under the grate. I think I would still want a couple vents in front below the grate level. For vents you could use a couple of 1 1/2" brass ball valves, they work great. We use them on UdS's and insulated smokers. Just drill a hole and tighten them in with a nut on the back.
Jim
johnthebaptist576
Pilgrim

Postby johnthebaptist576 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:30 pm

thanks for the help ill give you an update. i dont wanna give up on this thing!
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:38 pm

A couple of these will do the trick for vents. Easy to install and very easy to regulate the air flow. They would work great on your smaller type firebox.

8a371bd6-ecf2-489b-822c-288695f91a93_300.jpg
Jim
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:21 pm

I agree with the other posts.. Raise the coal grate in the firebox, more air coming in under the the coal base... the uprights into the cook chamber still concern me, but give the other suggestions a try. Another thing to remember is that you need as much, or more exhaust as you have intake. The exhaust stack still looks a tad small.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:35 pm

johnthebaptist576 wrote:i think i need a new fire grate. there are 3 pieces that set on the floor of the firebox and both sides but they are not elevated at all. the grates just sit on the bottom of the firebox. i thought that was strange but tried it anyway. the coals should not be sitting on the bottom of the firebox right? they need air to get underneath them?

Only on a wood stove.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
johnthebaptist576
Pilgrim

Postby johnthebaptist576 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:53 pm

new pics. i cut a bigger hole in one of the side intakes. (i will clean it up later lol) how does the size of the hole look? should i do it to the other side? i got the grate off the bottom of the firebox. should i still install more intakes in the front? here is the pic

Last edited by DATsBBQ on Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:41 am, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”