Suggestions

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jtb USER_AVATAR
JTB
Wrangler

Suggestions

Postby JTB » Thu May 21, 2009 9:36 pm

Hey guys, pretty new to the forum but not to the love of BBQ!!! I will post pics of my equipment soon. I am planning a road trip with the family through the Hill Country and ending up in Corpus. I would love to hear about the "must stop" BBQ joints along the way. My plan is to head south on Hwy 16 to San Antonio and return north up 281 for the route home. Any suggestions would be greatly appreaciated!!! You guys have a safe weekend!!
Jason Blount
HIGH VOLTAGE BBQ
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Re: Suggestions

Postby JamesB » Thu May 21, 2009 9:50 pm

Sure that somebody who is familiar with that route will be along to give ya some guidance soon... When ya leaving? If yer still in town this Sat., come on out to Rudy's BBQ at noon... There will be at least a few of us forum folks meeting there for lunch n lies.
bluz USER_AVATAR
Bluz
Outlaw

Postby Bluz » Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Need to see whats on the menu at Surfin Sapo's He's a member here and puts on some mighty good looking Chow pics. Welcome aboard. Havent been eating in that area, but several will be on later on to chime in on some good spots to hit.
Bluz

Bluz Q and Custom Cooking
Custom Trailer Pit(Mattie)
Weber Grill
Amana Gas Grill
Weber 22" WSM
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Fri May 22, 2009 7:39 am

I haven't done the Hill Country BBQ tour, but one place that I have eaten in the Corpus area is Joe Cottens in Robstown (NW of Corpus). I admit it has been 15 or 16 years ago, but back then it was some good grub.
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Fri May 22, 2009 8:11 am

On your way thru Llano or Marble Falls be sure and stop at Inman's they have the best smoked Jalapeno/ Turkey sausage and homemede wheat bread in the world.... :lol: :lol:
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
3 alarm bbq
Pilgrim

Postby 3 alarm bbq » Fri May 22, 2009 6:52 pm

Hard 8 in Stephanville is very good, and is right off 281.
txbbqgal USER_AVATAR
TXBBQGal
Wrangler

Postby TXBBQGal » Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm

While your near San Antonio there's a great place on the Southside of town (my side of town :tup:) it's call Snoga's but they only take cash. Great BBQ and decent prices. Here's an article that Wilson Co newspaper did (that's a neighboring county ...so you know it's good when a small town paper talks about it) http://www.wilsoncountynews.com/article.php?id=20169&n=business-snogas-cafeteria-remains-one-of-the-best-around and here's the location info...http://local.yahoo.com/info-19276632-snoga-barbecue-food-togo-catering-service-san-antonio.
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sat May 30, 2009 10:28 pm

I cant go through Llano without stopping at Coopers...

;)
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
jtb USER_AVATAR
JTB
Wrangler

Postby JTB » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:02 am

Gator wrote:I cant go through Llano without stopping at Coopers...

I have been told by several folks about the place in Llano, I have it on my "must stop" list. Lookin forward to that stop!

;)
Jason Blount
HIGH VOLTAGE BBQ
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:32 am

I like the brisket, a lot of folks rave about the pork chop (i havent had it) and the pork ribs are ok, IMO. Beef is the star of the show for me at Coopers and the sausage is good...have a slice for me!

:)
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
mgwerks USER_AVATAR
mgwerks
Bandolero

Postby mgwerks » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:43 am

There are several Cooper's in the Hill Country, but stick to the one in Llano. And for goodness' sake - order the 'Big Chop' regardless of what else you get.

There's a nice tiny place in Lakehills, just east of Medina Lake at FM 1283 & Park Road 37, called Lone Star BBQ. Very tasty.

Joe Cotten's in Robstown - very possibly the finest spare ribs I have ever eaten anywhere. Unfortunately, although the service and the sausage was good, the brisket was very poor. It was cut with the grain and very tough, with little smoke flavor if any. Oh yeah - they don't take credit cards - cash still works, though.

If you are heading back up 281 and can't swing through Luling/Lockhart for that part of the BBQ tour, you can still hit the great Louie Muller's in Taylor - it's a tiny detour well worth it.

HTH

Mark
Visit my Cooking Blog.

The Armada:
22.5" WSM
MES 30" shorty
42"x24" & 36"x16" stick burners
1966 CharBroil charcoal grill
Weber 18 1/2" Silver
Sam's 32-inch Stainless gas grill (it was free!)
jtb USER_AVATAR
JTB
Wrangler

Postby JTB » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:10 am

mgwerks wrote:There are several Cooper's in the Hill Country, but stick to the one in Llano. And for goodness' sake - order the 'Big Chop' regardless of what else you get.

There's a nice tiny place in Lakehills, just east of Medina Lake at FM 1283 & Park Road 37, called Lone Star BBQ. Very tasty.

Joe Cotten's in Robstown - very possibly the finest spare ribs I have ever eaten anywhere. Unfortunately, although the service and the sausage was good, the brisket was very poor. It was cut with the grain and very tough, with little smoke flavor if any. Oh yeah - they don't take credit cards - cash still works, though.

If you are heading back up 281 and can't swing through Luling/Lockhart for that part of the BBQ tour, you can still hit the great Louie Muller's in Taylor - it's a tiny detour well worth it.

HTH

Mark

Thanks for the info!!! I will be headed up 281 on the way back so I will look at going to Louie Mullers, thanks again for the info!
Jason Blount
HIGH VOLTAGE BBQ
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:34 pm

mgwerks wrote:Joe Cotten's in Robstown - very possibly the finest spare ribs I have ever eaten anywhere. Unfortunately, although the service and the sausage was good, the brisket was very poor. It was cut with the grain and very tough, with little smoke flavor if any. Oh yeah - they don't take credit cards - cash still works, though.

Well, I hate to hear that Joe Cottens has gone down hill. Was really good back in the day and the service was really good too. May have been because we always went with my ex-B-I-L though. He was friends with the owner and may have gotten special treatment.
Chuck

jtb USER_AVATAR
JTB
Wrangler

Postby JTB » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:32 am

Ok, well, made the trip down south so I figured I would give you guys the low down on how it went. Started out down 16 through to Llano and stopped at Coopers...WOW...What a place! Got the Brisket and Ribs. I thought the pork ribs were very good with good flavor. Unfortunatly, was not at all impressed with the brisket, did not have any flavor from smoke or rub that I could tell, maybe it was just my piece but just did not do it for me. Really enjoyed my visit there though!! The next day we made it down to Corpus and went over to Joe Cottons place, again, pork ribs and brisket, ribs I thought were outstanding!!! Unfortunatly, I thought the brisket was extremly plain, kinda tasted like a roast. I do have to say that the staff there were probably the most friendly folks I have had the pleasure to be around, all around good experience there!
We wrapped up the trip with a stop at The Salt Lick in Driftwood. I stuck with the same Rib and brisket order...AWESOME!! Not a huge fan of the sauce but I thought the que was right on, not the best I have had but very good!!!
Jason Blount
HIGH VOLTAGE BBQ
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:40 am

Glad that you had a good trip. Sounds like your full of Q for awhile! :lol:
Chuck

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”