first smoke???

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

b.read
Pilgrim

first smoke???

Postby b.read » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:16 pm

I'm getting my first pit monday (hand me down horizontal barrel grill). I want to try offset smoking until i add a firebox. What would ya'll recommed for a beginner? I was thinking pork butt and chicken, but if there's other recommendations i'm certainly open to suggestions.
THanks,
brandon
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:10 pm

Pork butt and chicken are a great way to learn your pit! Both are very hard to mess up too. I think your on the right track already!
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:03 pm

Will double dittos whut James said...pork butts is real hard to mess up. About the worst thing that can happen is to undercook it and it will be tough. Now chickens I think is a hoss of a different color. It takes a little game plan to cook a chicken right. Now would say it hard to make em totally inedible. If the worst comes to the worst you can always give it to the neighbors.

bigwheel
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:29 pm

Sounds like a good plan to me. :D
Jim
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:53 pm

Butts are really forgiving, that would be a great choice. Meatloaf is hard to mess up also. 8)
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
b.read
Pilgrim

Postby b.read » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:25 pm

i know there's a recipe section, but do ya'll have any tips for preparing the pork butts? also, any pointers for setting up an indirect smoke in my grill? i've never done this before so any help is greatly appreciated. brandon
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:07 am

Being this is your first butt, I would just rub it with a good pork rub or you could slather it with plain yellow mustard and then put the rub on. Butts are simple and easy to do. Smoke it til it is probe done, internal temp of 190*-200*, when the probe goes in like it's going into soft butter.
I would start with a full chimney of charcoal and a couple chunks of wood. Basically, you put the lit charcoal in the bottom of the grill at the opposite end from the exhaust stack. Add to the charcoal as needed. Put a oven thermo on the cooking grate next to what you are cooking to tell what temp the pit is. Try to stay around 230* - 250* cooking temp. You can also put a small pan of water on the grate right above the fire to help stabilize the temps in the pit. :D
I know bowhntr and a couple others cook indirect alot, hopefully they can help you with some more tips. :D
Jim
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:03 am

What are you going to use for fuel, briquettes or lump? Either way, I would pile a chimney or two on one side like OSD said, and light may 10-15 briquettes and place on top of the unlit for the minion method

If you do a pork butt and a chicken at the same time, have the chicken closer to the heat.

Take pictures and have fun 8)
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
tannehill kid USER_AVATAR
Tannehill Kid
Rustler

Postby Tannehill Kid » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:21 pm

Butts hard to mess up. I like to cook my chickens at a higher temp that butts. 225-250 for butts to an internal temp of 190-200 and 300-350 for chicks and an internal temp of 170 in the thigh. Just my 2 cents.
Geaux Tigers
b.read
Pilgrim

Postby b.read » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:50 pm

Ok, I think i'm going to try to go for it on wednesday (weather permitting). if ya'll don't mind, let me know if i have my plan right.

set the fire and let pit warm up (charcoal on side across from exhaust).
prepare rub on pork butt (while pit is warming).
put meat away from fire (chicken closest to fire).
Put aluminum pan of water above the fire on grill.
let it cook a while.
check on it.
Oh yeah... take pictures so i can share... we'll either have a little laugh or a good dinner!

Is that pretty much it? How often should i check it? how much wood chunck should i mix w/ charcoal?
I've read a lot of people cook pork butt fat side up, but that with it down it protects the meat side from drying. does it really matter. I know i'll get my own system down after a while, but help getting started is appreciated! Ya'll have all been great! Thanks! Brandon
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:52 am

Sounds like a very good plan. :D

Do you have your thermos for the grate and to check the internal temp of the meat??

A couple chunks of wood to start and add 1 with each refill of charcoal should be about right.

Good luck and keep us updated. :D :D 8)
Jim
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:25 am

I put the rub one the night before? Whats the water for? WSMs & ECBs use waters pans as a thermal mass collector, heat deflector and grease catcher.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
b.read
Pilgrim

Postby b.read » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:26 am

OSD said:
You can also put a small pan of water on the grate right above the fire to help stabilize the temps in the pit.

i was going off of that i may skip that step if its not important, but might try it.
ok, i'm going to pick up 2 thermometers, probably the charcoal chimney, some rub and some wood chunks. can't think of anything else.
i'm feeling pretty confidant now thanks a lot guys!
brandon
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:38 am

b.read wrote:OSD said:
You can also put a small pan of water on the grate right above the fire to help stabilize the temps in the pit.

i was going off of that i may skip that step if its not important, but might try it.
ok, i'm going to pick up 2 thermometers, probably the charcoal chimney, some rub and some wood chunks. can't think of anything else.
i'm feeling pretty confidant now thanks a lot guys!
brandon

You might want to take a gander at the Maverick ET-73. It's a digital with remote reciever. It monitors pit and food temp. That said, a good analog themometer for the pit and an instant read type is something that is a must (electronic gadgets can malfunction). Just make sure to calibrate the thermometers, as they can be off +/- 40* out of the box.
Deputy Dave

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:54 am

Water pan works the same way as in a WSM. In that big of a grill it will help deflect and stabilize the heat. Just doesn't collect the grease.
Jim

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”