New Pits

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Down Yonder BBQ
Rustler

New Pits

Postby Down Yonder BBQ » Sat May 03, 2008 2:26 am

Well I cant find a place to post this about new pits, but we just finished these, now I just got to find something to use them for............

It's not burnt till I say so
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat May 03, 2008 5:25 am

Very nice. :D Did you build them yourself?? Is the one a rotisserie type?? Those ought to hold a few briskets. :D 8)

Oh, and this would be the right place to post them, in the Pits, Smokers, and Chuck Wagons section. :D
Jim
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Sat May 03, 2008 6:34 am

Nice lookin pits, did you build em?
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Sat May 03, 2008 7:57 am

Really nice, now we could have one heck of a party with all that cook. Good job. CF
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
Down Yonder BBQ
Rustler

Postby Down Yonder BBQ » Sat May 03, 2008 8:36 am

The picture of the top pit was built by myself for the most part, minus the trailer. At the time I didnt have the trailer so the father in law got one and put it on there.

As for the second pit that was a co-op deal between father in law and myself. We both worked on it.
When we were in Texas a few months back for 6 or 7 weeks, we started to tinker with the ideas of building pits for a living, or seeing if it was feasable. So I invested some money with him and bought supplys and materials, so far we havent sold a pit, just due to the fact he and I are still building em. But we have 3 tow behind models and 10 free standers that are QUE, PIT, AND SMOKER conbo's. All wood pits no gas unless by request, and when I say no gas Im just speaking of the actual cooking pits. He has gotten such a joy from these little projects that the front yard of his sho[ looks like the display area of the Home Depot. He has gotten a little more serious than me since he has more time than I do, but when I move back home it will become a full time operation.I'll post the other pics tonight as soon as I get them via email.
jack2u2 USER_AVATAR
JaCK2U2
Chuck Wagon

Postby JaCK2U2 » Sat May 03, 2008 9:31 am

Best advertisement is word of mouth, so send me one of those pits, and I'll tell everyone where they can get one for themselves!
Jack
Jr. C's BBQ
http://www.jrcsbbqandseasonings.com" target="_blank

Homemade upright drum smoker
Backwoods Party
GSW upright (now deceased)
nice gas grill
Weber 27" grill
Weber rotisserie
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Sat May 03, 2008 4:12 pm

Nice lookin pits! Longitudinal firebox on the big one?
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
Down Yonder BBQ
Rustler

Postby Down Yonder BBQ » Sat May 03, 2008 7:17 pm

Well I need to know where Tewakoni is or whatever the place you live is and one day when we decide to possibly do market research Ill try.
Down Yonder BBQ
Rustler

Postby Down Yonder BBQ » Sat May 03, 2008 7:26 pm

And here are the rest of the pits that have been built, sorry for the sloppy array, but when we get home I'll post more professional pics:

I recieved this and my father in law says hes not to busy, I wonder if Ive actually been gone longer than I thought????????
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Sat May 03, 2008 9:32 pm

Cool lookin' pits, DY! Look like great cookers to me.

JaCK2U2 wrote:Best advertisement is word of mouth, so send me one of those pits, and I'll tell everyone where they can get one for themselves!

Y'know, I'll be in a comp in a few months with Laura and Chuck. Great advertising for DY Pits. :wink:
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sat May 03, 2008 9:38 pm

TX Sandman wrote:Cool lookin' pits, DY! Look like great cookers to me.

JaCK2U2 wrote:Best advertisement is word of mouth, so send me one of those pits, and I'll tell everyone where they can get one for themselves!

Y'know, I'll be in a comp in a few months with Laura and Chuck. Great advertising for DY Pits. :wink:

Image Image

Nice work DY !!!
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat May 03, 2008 9:59 pm

Yeah nice looking collection of pits. There is demand but I don't know what it takes to break into the market place maybe some comp calls.
tarde venientibus ossa....
Down Yonder BBQ
Rustler

Postby Down Yonder BBQ » Sat May 03, 2008 11:49 pm

Who knows what it takes, its a give and take bussiness with lots of marketing. I just felt that the pit manufatures have taken to much of an advantage of the consumer and havent delivered on good product workmanship. Sure now dont get me wrong Im not bashing anyone who makes pits or anything else, but to me, BBQ and education is a way of the southern lifestyle. I believe that I can make a pit just like a Major Tx company does for 1/2 the price or maybe 3/4 of the price and do some major tweeks and pimping. Im not out to get rich, sure Id like to be known for a quality pit and a excellent warrenty on other products. I spoke with Dan and I think he feels the same way about his rubs and products, Im sure that one day he is going to go big time, and retire rich, but who knows all ya can do is try. I will be suppling my rub cabinet with his rubs real soon, Im not a person of variety but I need to change that. If ya have some idea or want to talk about some type of comp just drop me a pm and tell me how maybe we can work something out....
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Sat May 03, 2008 11:54 pm

Hey DY,

Great lookin' pits. Thanks for stopping by with the samples. :) Didn't get a chance to use them, been in sick bay for several days. :( Be talking to you soon.

a hui hou,
honu41
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun May 04, 2008 9:01 am

When you guys retire rich, remember us little guys 8) :wink:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”