BBQ For The Troops - 6/5/2008 - Ft. Hood

Announcements, Roll Call and Results for ALL Competitions and Events.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

User avatar
DaHorns
Bandolero
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 7:51 pm
Location: Cedar Park, Tx
Contact:

BBQ For The Troops - 6/5/2008 - Ft. Hood

Postby DaHorns » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:43 pm

Fort Hood June 5th

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got a call from a Major wanting a BBQ for his Birgade leaveing for Iraq. It will be held June 5th. Any one want to do this? It will be for 5th Birgade 1st Cavalry.
__________________
Del
Once A Marine, Always A Marine


We are in on this and I know a few of y'all who might be interested in it. Looks like its going to be for 9,000. It was a good time last year!
Yellow Dog BBQ Team
Gator Predator
When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
User avatar
JamesB
Retired Lawman
Posts: 6215
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:29 am
Location: Irving, Tx
Contact:

Postby JamesB » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:41 pm

Gonna be a grand time for a great cause! Wish I was closer!

James.
Image
User avatar
DaHorns
Bandolero
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 7:51 pm
Location: Cedar Park, Tx
Contact:

Postby DaHorns » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:35 pm

JamesB wrote:Gonna be a grand time for a great cause! Wish I was closer!

James.

Your close, come on down!

Last year we had a guy, Texanx5, drive all the way over from Alabama and cook in this event.
Yellow Dog BBQ Team

Gator Predator

When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
User avatar
JamesB
Retired Lawman
Posts: 6215
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:29 am
Location: Irving, Tx
Contact:

Postby JamesB » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:36 pm

I would love to believe me! I will keep an eye on the schedule and hopefully a few days will open up and I can see about coming down.
Image
Backdoor
Pilgrim
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:06 am
Location: Lampasas TX
Contact:

Postby Backdoor » Thu May 01, 2008 10:10 am

Hey Horns, count me in!!!!!!!! :D War Wagon and the big pit from last year will be rolling
Gotta cook sum Q
User avatar
DaHorns
Bandolero
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 7:51 pm
Location: Cedar Park, Tx
Contact:

Postby DaHorns » Thu May 01, 2008 4:23 pm

Awesome, thanks Lance! Looking forward to seeing y'all in Cedar Park next weekend!
Yellow Dog BBQ Team

Gator Predator

When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
bigwheel
Outlaw
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:34 am
Location: Cowtown
Contact:

Postby bigwheel » Thu May 01, 2008 5:48 pm

Praying hard for the success of the endeavor as we speak.

bigwheel
User avatar
DATsBBQ
Deputy
Posts: 8085
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:15 am
Location: Yorktown, VA
Contact:

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 pm

Again, while unpacking boxes came across the Mrs's many awards and accomadations from when she was in charge of the Skiff at Ft. Hood. I'm sure both of us would volunteer for KP duty for your project but we live too far away for a day trip.

pst, BTW... you should be talking with a Full Bird instead of a Major :roll:

Wishing you the best on your project. :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
User avatar
DaHorns
Bandolero
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 7:51 pm
Location: Cedar Park, Tx
Contact:

Postby DaHorns » Thu May 01, 2008 10:08 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:
pst, BTW... you should be talking with a Full Bird instead of a Major :roll:

Wishing you the best on your project. :D

Actually the Major was inquiring, they are in contact with the Commander now. Is that a full bird?
Yellow Dog BBQ Team

Gator Predator

When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
Little Chief
Pilgrim
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 9:16 am
Location: Gatesville, Tx
Contact:

Postby Little Chief » Thu May 08, 2008 7:48 pm

Hello everyone , My first time to try and post a message so I hope it works.
My name is Billy and Del has ask me to work with Ft Hood to make sure everything is covered. I have received e-mails from many saying they are
coming, but I'm not sure who on this forum has sent me a message to my regular address bvaden@ci.gatesville.tx.us .I need to get a head count
and how much your pit holds.

For those of you that were there last Sept. it will be about the same , except
I don't believe I seen Pork Butts on the menu. Just Brisket ,Hamburgers, Hot Dogs. The VFW is funding the event as far as food goes. There will be a load of oak on scene.

If you will drop me an e-mail I will be sure and send you all the info as it comes in.
Little Chief
Pilgrim
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 9:16 am
Location: Gatesville, Tx
Contact:

Postby Little Chief » Thu May 08, 2008 11:28 pm

Correction, I missed the CHICKEN they want cooked, 2000 lbs of it
I am checking on that to make sure.
User avatar
DaHorns
Bandolero
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 7:51 pm
Location: Cedar Park, Tx
Contact:

Postby DaHorns » Mon May 19, 2008 9:13 pm

Alrighty, we are about 2 weeks away. Let see how many of y'all are gonna come hang with us out there?
Yellow Dog BBQ Team

Gator Predator

When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
User avatar
DaHorns
Bandolero
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 7:51 pm
Location: Cedar Park, Tx
Contact:

Postby DaHorns » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:19 am

Wow, this was a GREAT event and got an opportunity to meet a bunch of new freinds. I'd say we had upwards of 30 pits show up out there, in our group we had 5. All in all we cooked up 2700 Lbs of Brisket and 2500 Lbs of chicken (all leg quarters). On Big D II we were able to cook 25 briskets and when they were done we cooked about 100 Lbs of leg quarters (that was a bunch of chicken). Along with 4 racks of ribs and 3 packs of Slovacek's sausage for our crew. Everyone was well fed but exhausted at the end of the day on thursday. We fed over 7,000 troops and their families in about 1.5 hours (4-5 serving lines), that was an amazing accomplishment in itself.
The only downside was the wind, it NEVER stopped blowing the whole time we were there, it was a constant 25-30mph. We took a 18x20 canopy with us and it destroyed the canvas tearing out all the grommets at 3am on Thursday. What a nightmare that was trying to get it down in the wind. This was an excellent event and we are looking for the next one that was approved while we were out there. Looks like they will be organizing one at Brook Army Medical Center later this year. Put it on your calenders, we are already signed up to help out.
Thanks again to all that came out and help with the event, it is always good to do this stuff for those who are fighting for our country. See y'all again soon!!!

This was for the 4th Brigade(Longknives), 1st Cavalry.


Not my pics, but they are great none the less (txpgapro's pics)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9198016...71471132/show/
Yellow Dog BBQ Team

Gator Predator

When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
User avatar
JamesB
Retired Lawman
Posts: 6215
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:29 am
Location: Irving, Tx
Contact:

Postby JamesB » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:00 am

Sounds like a grand time was had by all!

I had the privilege of giving my first class seat to a Marine returning home to Roanoke, Tx after being injured from an IED this past Thursday on my flight from Charlotte to DFW...

As it turned out, I still got my seat up front as they placed me next to him due to available seating. He was 23yrs old and suffered injuries to his arm and shoulder. What a trooper! He said he couldn't wait to get back to his buddies over there... he had been injured in Irag and spent 12 weeks in Germany recovering from 4 surgeries. Got several goose bumps raised as he told me his stories on the way back.

If that young man had not been on pain killers, I would have paid for anything he wanted to drink the entire way! God Bless our Troops!

James.
Image
User avatar
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman
Posts: 4677
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:34 pm
Location: Ft. Worth, Texas
Contact:

Postby nascarchuck » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:19 pm

DaHorns wrote:Wow, this was a GREAT event and got an opportunity to meet a bunch of new freinds. I'd say we had upwards of 30 pits show up out there, in our group we had 5. All in all we cooked up 2700 Lbs of Brisket and 2500 Lbs of chicken (all leg quarters). On Big D II we were able to cook 25 briskets and when they were done we cooked about 100 Lbs of leg quarters (that was a bunch of chicken). Along with 4 racks of ribs and 3 packs of Slovacek's sausage for our crew. Everyone was well fed but exhausted at the end of the day on thursday. We fed over 7,000 troops and their families in about 1.5 hours (4-5 serving lines), that was an amazing accomplishment in itself.
The only downside was the wind, it NEVER stopped blowing the whole time we were there, it was a constant 25-30mph. We took a 18x20 canopy with us and it destroyed the canvas tearing out all the grommets at 3am on Thursday. What a nightmare that was trying to get it down in the wind. This was an excellent event and we are looking for the next one that was approved while we were out there. Looks like they will be organizing one at Brook Army Medical Center later this year. Put it on your calenders, we are already signed up to help out.
Thanks again to all that came out and help with the event, it is always good to do this stuff for those who are fighting for our country. See y'all again soon!!!

This was for the 4th Brigade(Longknives), 1st Cavalry.


Not my pics, but they are great none the less (txpgapro's pics)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9198016...71471132/show/



Glad that you had a good time for a good cause...

I tried to follow the link and got a "page not found" error...
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

Image

Return to “Cookoff Announcements and Results”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests