Second Plateau question

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

ikiru USER_AVATAR
ikiru
Wrangler

Second Plateau question

Postby ikiru » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm

So...Im 12 hours into my 9lb brisket. I have been keeping my smoker at around 225 and my brisket went through its first plateau at 158. I wrapped at 160. At 197 (right before I was about to take it off), it went through what Im thinking is another plateau. This one is different that the first in that it is now back down to 184. Is this typical? Should I take the brisket off now? The fork test revealed a tough flat, but tender point. Shall I wait it out until it starts going back up again? Thanks!

-ikiru

*enjoy the sauce*
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:41 pm

You didn't say what type of thermo you are using, But it sound more like when you got the high reading the tip may have hit in a fat pocket or went in too deep past the center of the meat and was reading close to the outer part of the meat on the bottom.??? That's why to check it in a couple different places. Seems like the flat should have been done before the point. :D
Jim
ikiru USER_AVATAR
ikiru
Wrangler

Postby ikiru » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:52 pm

Wow! Thanks. I didn't even think to reposition the sensor. Im using a maverick probe thermo.

I put the probe into the flat and it registered 176.

Maybe I need to wait a bit longer...kinda getting hungry! :(

-ikiru

*enjoy the sauce*
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:00 pm

That's why you should have an instant read thermo also. :D Sometimes the probes can be in a pocket and not read right. If you check it with an instant read or a dial thermo and it's far off, you can change the placement of the probe. :D That's why I use a Thermo Pen when it starts getting close on the temp. They are quick and very accurate. :D
Make sure and let us know how it turns out. :D Don't forget the pics. 8)
Jim
ikiru USER_AVATAR
ikiru
Wrangler

Postby ikiru » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:04 pm

Thanks again for the help. I poked it with a pocket therm that is reasonably accurate and confirmed that this brisket has a way to go still.

Ill let yall know how it goes!

-ikiru

*enjoy the sauce*
soezzy USER_AVATAR
SoEzzy
Wrangler

Postby SoEzzy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:28 pm

Just be happy you didn't assume it was nearly done instead of really done, the two may be only 20 F apart but that's a long way when you are already to eat.

Good luck and remember it's cooked when it's done, and not a minute before!
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Re: Second Plateau question

Postby TX Sandman » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:51 am

Well, how'd it turn out?

ikiru wrote:The fork test revealed a tough flat, but tender point.

I think this may be from the point having more fat through it than the flat. I always go by the flat temp and tenderness. By then, the point is ready for pulled beef or burnt ends, whatever.

My $.02, YMMV.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
jack2u2 USER_AVATAR
JaCK2U2
Chuck Wagon

Postby JaCK2U2 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:42 am

So - how'd it turn out? Not nice to leave everyone hanging!
Jack
Jr. C's BBQ
http://www.jrcsbbqandseasonings.com" target="_blank

Homemade upright drum smoker
Backwoods Party
GSW upright (now deceased)
nice gas grill
Weber 27" grill
Weber rotisserie
ikiru USER_AVATAR
ikiru
Wrangler

Postby ikiru » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:17 am

Sorry for letting yall hang. The brisket turned out dry and overcooked :(

The point end was very mushy and the overall brisket was kinda tasteless and less smoky than previous attempts.

I think I have some issues with my thermometers and/or placement inside the cooking chamber.

Anyway, even though I was down on the brisket, my family told me they loved it and a lot of it was taken home in doggie bags.

Oh well, another step on the quest for the perfect brisket!

Next time, Im going to put the probe into the flat and supplement readings with a thermapen (cmon lottery!). Also, I need to figure out where the best places in the cooking chamber to put my thermometer(s) for the best gauge of the cooking temp.

Thanks for the help again guys! This board is great!

-ikiru

*enjoy the sauce*
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:22 am

Don't be too hard on yourself! I am my own worst critic when I cook. When I cook all day long, especially smoking something on the smoker, I have had wood smoke in my nose all day long, and I can barely taste what I've tended too all day! It may taste better to you today!
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:24 am

ikiru wrote:Sorry for letting yall hang. The brisket turned out dry and overcooked :(

The point end was very mushy and the overall brisket was kinda tasteless and less smoky than previous attempts.

I think I have some issues with my thermometers and/or placement inside the cooking chamber.

Anyway, even though I was down on the brisket, my family told me they loved it and a lot of it was taken home in doggie bags.

Oh well, another step on the quest for the perfect brisket!

Next time, Im going to put the probe into the flat and supplement readings with a thermapen (cmon lottery!). Also, I need to figure out where the best places in the cooking chamber to put my thermometer(s) for the best gauge of the cooking temp.
Thanks for the help again guys! This board is great!

-ikiru

*enjoy the sauce*

I place the temp probe for the cooking chamber (Maverick) about 3" away from what piece of meat is being cooked, and the food probe in the center of the flat (brisket) or largest muscle group away from the bone (butt).

It's been said that Brisket is the Mt Everest of Q. Don't know if that helps any but it's true just the same. :wink:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
ikiru USER_AVATAR
ikiru
Wrangler

Postby ikiru » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:43 am

copkid wrote:Don't be too hard on yourself! I am my own worst critic when I cook. When I cook all day long, especially smoking something on the smoker, I have had wood smoke in my nose all day long, and I can barely taste what I've tended too all day! It may taste better to you today!

Ya know, this makes perfect sense to me. I DO need to try the brisket again now that I have had a couple of days to clear my nasal passages of smoke. Again, proving the unlimited abundance of wisdom from TBBQF.

I don't think I'm too hard on myself, I just know what I like and dont like. The whole idea of cooking anything yourself is to make something better than what you could buy! The bar is pretty high, but then again, thats what makes achieving your goal worth it...IMHO.

DATsBBQ wrote:It's been said that Brisket is the Mt Everest of Q.

Yep, and I credit you as the first person to tell me this :)

-ikiru

*enjoy the sauce*

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”