My first brisket, a question

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

NathanatFork
Pilgrim

My first brisket, a question

Postby NathanatFork » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:39 pm

Well, I tried my first brisket today. Only my second time using the smoker. Really, I had no clue what I was doing but I tried it anyways.

This was a 10lb brisket. I didnt use any kind of rub or recipe, I mixed together a bunch of spices from ground mustard to cumin with soy sauce and worcheshire sauce and brush it on the brisket. Got my fire going with oak and threw it on. I havent gotten the temp control thing down yet so I ranged from 160-245 degrees at different points. I checked the temp and fire about every hour and tried to keep it in the 190-220 range as best I could. Maybe one day Ill figure this thing out.

Anyways. One thing I did wrong was drastically underestimate my cooking time. I dont know why I did it. I had read online that it would take at least 10 hours for a 10lb brisket at 225 but, I did. I did not get on the smoker until 10:30am planning on eating it for dinner. Yes, Im an idiot :roll: So, it smoked until 4:30 for a total of 6 hours and was at 130 degrees internally. So, I took it off the smoker, wrapped it in aluminum foil, and stuck it in the oven at 300 degrees. Of course, by this time it was past dinner time so we had something else. I guess this will be for dinner tomorrow. I took it out of the oven with an internal temp of 170 degrees.

So, here is my question. What do I do now? It only got to 170 today. So, Im thinking I will keep it wrapped in foil, put it in the fridge, and then tomorrow put it back in the oven on 300 to get the internal temp up to 190. Does that sound right? I wont end up drying it out or hurting the flavor at all cooling it overnight and reheating it to finish tomorrow will I? It smells wonderful and is very juicy now. I cut off a small piece and its wonderfully smoked. But, how do I finish tomorrow for best results? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Im sure youve all seen a brisket a billion times but here are the pictures.

Last edited by NathanatFork on Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:16 am

Putting it back in the oven will work. I would take it to an internal temp of 200*. Start checking to see if it is done at 190*. If the temp probe slides in easy, like going into warm butter then it's done. If it starts to look like it is drying out, you can pour a little beef broth or apple juice mixed with spices into the foil to help keep it juicy. :D Hope it all works out for you. :D Let us know. :D Oh, nice smoker you got there. 8) It gets easier with time. Learning how your smoker operates best just takes a little time and practice. :D It's the old learning curve thing, we all go through it. :D :D :lol:
Jim
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:03 am

Like Jim said, it will work just fine. I have reheated brisket in the oven several times.
I might suggest you use a little lower temp (maybe 250*) just due to the fact that yesterday it may not have stalled out very long and broken down the collagens. (I am not sure how this would be affected the 2nd time around)
With that type of smoker you would probably need to tend to it a little closer and check temps at least every 30 mins or so until you learn it. Of course the wind and weather will affect it too.

It looks like you will have a nice supper tonight and it will be worth the wait. 8)
Let us know how it turns out!
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:08 am

Very nice! I like your smoker as well! Mike and Jim answered all your questions, so great job!
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:03 am

Welcome aboard, Nathan! Yep, Jim and Mike answered your question better than I could.

As for controlling temps, you'll get it. It just takes some practice. Feel free to ask if you have a question.

As for the pics, I *never* get tired of brisket!
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:46 am

Dittos to whut Deputy Jim say. Sounds like a good plan to me.

bigwheel
NathanatFork
Pilgrim

Postby NathanatFork » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:47 am

Thanks for the replies. Fixed the large pics I had posted as well the the thumbnails. Im hoping to use the smoker quite a bit throughout the summer and maybe have it down enough to attempt a whole pig for thanksgiving to feed about 20 people we will have here. This is only my second time trying the smoker. the first time I did chicken quarters which turned out very good. Everything tastes better smoked. Ive always just used a small charcoal grill. This low and slow thing is new to me and takes some getting used to.

As for the brisket, I just stuck it in the oven on 250 degrees to finish cooking. Can anyone give an estimate on how long it will take it to finish out to 190 internally? If I have again put it in too late, Ill bump it up to 300 and get it done by dinner. I have 7 hours available so Im thinking it wont take that long but Im not sure with such a big slab of meat. And not sure if the previuos smoking and cooking will make a difference. Would appreciate the help if someone could tell me round about. Thanks.
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:54 am

Nathan,
I'm thinking it won't take 7 hours for sure, if it got to 170* before. Like Mike said, just check for the butter feel test, and use your meat thermometer. Take it out about 190-195 and letting it rest will raise the temps a bit as well. It didn't look dry in your pics, but if you feel it is getting dry, just baste with some simple apple juice, etc.
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope

-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:14 pm

You should probably be OK, Nathan. I'd check it at 5 hrs and, if it's still <180°, I'd go to 300°. That way you'll have plenty of time to get the temp up there. If it's done before then, no worries. Ideally you want the meat to rest 30-minutes to an hour at least to let the juices settle and redstribute. Just wrap the brisket in a cooler until dinner and you'll be fine. Just remember to slice across the grain for tender slices and you'll have a great meal.

And Laura's got you on track with the apple-juice basting. You can mix a little worcestershire or beef broth in with it for a little more beefy flavor.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
Rob - TX Sandman

Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."

Steven Raichlen
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:31 pm

Sounds like ya got a plan and all should go according to ......I Like the pit!
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:55 pm

Aloha and Welcome Nathan,

Don't have much more to add... them guys and gals have been Q'ing longer than me. :)

You made a great start... just keep it up.

malama pono a hui hou,
honu41
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:01 pm

I've cooked hundreds of briskets, but I've never tried cooking a brisket in two different steps before... Let me know how it turns out...

James.
NathanatFork
Pilgrim

Postby NathanatFork » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:02 pm

Thanks everyone for your help. It took 6 hours in the oven and I bumped it up to 285 the last hour to get it up to 190. BUT, it turned out great. Was not dry at all. I am very happy, especially with my first try. Next time, Ill be sure to start it earlier. Figuring out the grain of the meat and cutting it cross ways to it definitly make s a difference as well. Im very greatful for that tidbit as I would have just cut it however I cut it. Thanks and I cant wait to try more things.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:24 pm

Well, glad to hear that it all came out well... Watcha gonna tackle next?
NathanatFork
Pilgrim

Postby NathanatFork » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:54 pm

Next thing will be some venison sausages. Picking up a box of it tomorrow from a deer my borther took this last season. I have two front shoulders front a deer I took in the freezer but Ive heard smoking them would dry them out too much. I'll have to read up some more and figure out a way to smoke them without them drying out. One is a whole front shoulder with bone in and the other is the whole shoulder which I deboned. Id also like to find a good recipe for some home made smoked beans. I like my beans to taste VERY smokey. Cant wait to fire it up again soon.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”