Butcher Paper vs Foil

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

larrybud
Pilgrim

Butcher Paper vs Foil

Postby larrybud » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:55 am

Hi all. New to the forum. I have a 22" Weber smokey mountain and have about 6 large briskets under my belt now so i'm not a complete newbie. My current practice is to smoke unwrapped for around 8 hours depending on size. Then i wrap in foil and finish up to about 200 degrees. I know some people use butcher paper vs foil. Just wanted to get some insight on why i might use one over the other. My understanding is that foil helps get past the stall and also tends to keep the meat more tender. Please let me know what you think regarding these questions.

Thanks
GTR
Bandolero

Re: Butcher Paper vs Foil

Postby GTR » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:48 pm

I have done brisket both ways. No solid answer one way or the other. For about the last year it's been all butcher paper. I got a full roll so might as well use it.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
smoking piney USER_AVATAR
Smoking Piney
Outlaw

Postby Smoking Piney » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:14 pm

I've tried it both ways, and I prefer foil.

With foil, I'm looking to steam heat to finish. I don't need a breathable membrane for more smoke. I get all the smoke I want before I foil.
John - Hopelessly addicted to smoking and grilling. :D
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:45 pm

I’ve wrapped with foil, panned and covered with foil, smoked without wrapping, and wrapped with paper. I’m a paper wrapper now. It’s my understanding that the bark survives much better in paper and that has been my experience.

Good smoke to you regardless of your preference. And regardless of your preference, please pull the brisket when it probes like butter - not when it hits a certain temp.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
Agrapha
Pilgrim

Postby Agrapha » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:05 pm

I also prefer using the butcher paper than using the foil, I don't know but I think it is because I am used to using it.
Weaverspit
Pilgrim

Postby Weaverspit » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:50 pm

Foil works for me .. I add water to the foil when I wrap it helps tenderize the brisket then I leave it on smoker no foil for color ...
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:13 am

I prefer panning no doubt and my next is butcher paper. The panning I can knock out a 15lb. brisket in 8 hours or less cooking 275° to 300°. When using paper I like it but it does increase to cook time so when it hits the paper I crank the pit up to 300° to 325°.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”