Cold smoking meat questions

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

nopeda
Pilgrim

Cold smoking meat questions

Postby nopeda » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:42 am

Hi,

I am trying to cold smoke some meat like chicken thighs, pork steaks and swai. Then cook it in an oven or frying pan inside hoping it will retain the good smokey flavor. So far it has not gone well because it seems the meat either cooks or changes consistency/texture while in the smoke. I've been using Hickory pellets and an amazin pellet smoker in one mailbox, then piping that to a second mailbox where I put the meat. Letting it smoke for an hour or a bit more. But when I take it in and cook it like I always do without smoking it gets rather burned and overdone. Does anyone have any suggestions how to get it to come out nice and juicy but still smoke it enough to give it smokey flavor? Also should I poke holes in it with a fork or knife before smoking to let the smoke be absorbed better or would that make it dry out more? Now I'm thinking maybe try poking holes and smoke for 30 minutes instead of an hour? Or...???

Thank you for any help!

David
ME USA
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Cold smoking meat questions

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:22 pm

We have several very qualified cold meat smokers that are members here so just hang on and hopefully some of them will see this thread and give you a good response. If someone doesn't reply soon just make another comment on the thread (what we call Bump It) and I'll do the same if I remember.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Cold smoking meat questions

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:26 pm

David, Sir, you might also post the same question in this Thread :dont:

viewforum.php?f=47
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”