Brisket in the Oven?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Hondo
Pilgrim

Brisket in the Oven?

Postby Hondo » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:59 pm

Hey all,

Brand new rookie to the site, and I ALREADY know before I ask the question that this is heresy in Texas LOL, as my Uncle heads up a "minor" competitive BBQ team here in my area, and although I could ask him for instructions on how to do this in the oven, I'd never hear the end of it, haha!

That said, with the 4th coming up, and the fact that I don't own a big smoker or the like, I'm forced to use my gas oven to cook this bad boy for my family here in a few days, and I DO NOT want to mess it up like I have in the past. I have tried about 3-4 times to get this just like I like it, but it never seems to come out the "right" way. I haven't bought it yet, but it will be between 13-15 pounds, untrimmed obviously.

Once again, I have a gas stove & oven, and she gets REAL hot, and I'm hoping my fellow peers here, can help me fire this sucker up with some input, help, opinions & feedback on how to do this, the way I'm shootin' for. Tough & "stringy" is a good part of what happens to it, and I want it to be as "close" as it obviously can be, all things considered, to get some good ol' Texas Brisket!

I need to know the basics obviously, to get this right:

1. "How" to prepare it (ie: dry or wet rubs, foil or no foil, a pan or no pan, etc.)?

2. What temperature?

3. How long?

4. And any other tips/tricks, etc?
.."Well Pilgrim,"...
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Brisket in the Oven?

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:04 pm

At the risk of getting beat up by the gourmet Brisket Gurus that we have many of on this Forum, let me just say this.
If I was going to cook a Brisket in the Oven, I would use a Reynolds Oven Bag and follow the directions. Of course smoke rings, bark or smoke flavor will be non-existent but they taste pretty good this way. :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:06 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:At the risk of getting beat up by the gourmet Brisket Gurus that we have many of on this Forum, let me just say this.
If I was going to cook a Brisket in the Oven, I would use a Reynolds Oven Bag and follow the directions. Of course smoke rings, bark or smoke flavor will be non-existent but they taste pretty good this way. :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:08 pm

Keep the rub simple. SPG or such.

Here is a bit of heresy....Do you have ANY sort of BBQ unit, such as a Weber kettle? If so, expose the brisket to some smoke for a couple of hours, then finish up in the biggest slow cooker you can find. (AKA The Long Island Crutch).

Cook until probe-tender. No bark, but if done right, it will NOT be shoe leather.
Moink!
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:53 pm

I am from the low and slow crowd so I would cook at 300° or less until "probe tender"

I know I'll catch it for giving oven advice but I've even run for public office heck I can take abuse.....

I would use a roaster pan it'll need to be pretty big. One of those foil ones work but need to be on a cookie sheet for strength.
Don't laugh or think I'm crazy (not that I'd deny that remember I ran for public office and won).

Clean up your brisket and trim off extra fat.
Feed the blender with several stalks of celery you will want about a cup or so of celery mush.
Now add a bit of liquid smoke to this maybe a tablespoon don't overdo it.
Add your favorite rub (mine would be SuckleBusters) but just salt and pepper will do.
Mix thoroughly and smear all over the brisket then refrigerate overnight or a similar amount of time depending on your schedule.

Put the meat in the roaster pan fat side down if you have one of those wire racks to hold it off the bottom use it.
Cook lid off for 4-5 hrs. (if you happen to have a remote thermo go to 160° internal) then put the lid on and go that much time again until probe tender (or 200-205° internal).
Towards the end of the cook remove the lid to crust up the outside of the brisket.

You should be pleased with the results and take us a picture be sure to show the smoke ring......
tarde venientibus ossa....
Hondo
Pilgrim

Postby Hondo » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:01 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:
OldUsedParts wrote:At the risk of getting beat up by the gourmet Brisket Gurus that we have many of on this Forum, let me just say this.

Fair enough, I'll look at them online, thank ya' kindly Sir.

-H.
.."Well Pilgrim,"...
Hondo
Pilgrim

Postby Hondo » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:09 pm

Papa Tom wrote:I am from the low and slow crowd so I would cook at 300° or less until "probe tender"

I know I'll catch it for giving oven advice but I've even run for public office heck I can take abuse.....

I would use a roaster pan it'll need to be pretty big. One of those foil ones work but need to be on a cookie sheet for strength.
Don't laugh or think I'm crazy (not that I'd deny that remember I ran for public office and won).

Clean up your brisket and trim off extra fat.
Feed the blender with several stalks of celery you will want about a cup or so of celery mush.
Now add a bit of liquid smoke to this maybe a tablespoon don't overdo it.
Add your favorite rub (mine would be SuckleBusters) but just salt and pepper will do.
Mix thoroughly and smear all over the brisket then refrigerate overnight or a similar amount of time depending on your schedule.

Put the meat in the roaster pan fat side down if you have one of those wire racks to hold it off the bottom use it.
Cook lid off for 4-5 hrs. (if you happen to have a remote thermo go to 160° internal) then put the lid on and go that much time again until probe tender (or 200-205° internal).
Towards the end of the cook remove the lid to crust up the outside of the brisket.

You should be pleased with the results and take us a picture be sure to show the smoke ring......

Awesome, thank you for the input & suggestions!

A couple of things/questions though:

-You said 300 or lower on the temp., how does 225 sound?
-I have a giant roasting pan that will be perfect, but you said fat side down, and I've ALWAYS been told fat side up during slow cooking, no?
-I have a gas oven, so which level in the oven should I put the pan in? Directly 1/2 way even, the upper 1/3rd, the lower 1/3rd of the oven, etc?
-It is going to be about a 15 pounder, any thoughts on how long it will (might) end up cooking "ballpark" estimate?

Thanks again, much, MUCH appreciated for the help.

-H.
.."Well Pilgrim,"...
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:34 pm

You can do 225° it takes longer allow about 1.5 hr/lb I go somewhere around 250-275°.

Fat side up vs fat side down I always put the fat between the meat and the heat Since you have a gas oven the heat is on the bottom. Also since you are doing it in a oven and want a Texas style brisket putting the meat side up will help form some bark. In reality either way would result in a good finished chunk of meat.

I'm guessing that because of the size you will be putting the thing on the lower third of the oven. If there is no liquid in the pan at the time to put the lid on add some a cup or so of beef broth works actually water works, white wine works well.
tarde venientibus ossa....
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:59 pm

Now all you cowboys pull in the reins for a minute and pick up that rope while I comment.

When I was on the dark side, I would trim the fat, lay down some sliced onions at the bottom of a large roaster. Put the brisket in the onions, add a cup of Moore’s Steak Seasoning, then salt and coarse ground black pepper. Into an oven at 275 for about 7 hours with the lid on the roaster. I would check it around 5 hours and worry that it was going to be tough. Then the same at 6 hours. It was always done around 7 hours.

Moore’s Steak Seasoning is available at most grocery stores. Dales Steak Seasoning is the same thing.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
PeterB123
Pilgrim

Postby PeterB123 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:46 pm

Hondo wrote:Hey all,

Brand new rookie to the site, and I ALREADY know before I ask the question that this is heresy in Texas LOL, as my Uncle heads up a "minor" competitive BBQ team here in my area, and although I could ask him for instructions on how to do this in the oven, I'd never hear the end of it, haha!

That said, with the 4th coming up, and the fact that I don't own a big smoker or the like, I'm forced to use my gas oven to cook this bad boy for my family here in a few days, and I DO NOT want to mess it up like I have in the past. I have tried about 3-4 times to get this just like I like it, but it never seems to come out the "right" way. I haven't bought it yet, but it will be between 13-15 pounds, untrimmed obviously.

Once again, I have a gas stove & oven, and she gets REAL hot, and I'm hoping my fellow peers here, can help me fire this sucker up with some input, help, opinions & feedback on how to do this, the way I'm shootin' for. Tough & "stringy" is a good part of what happens to it, and I want it to be as "close" as it obviously can be, all things considered, to get some good ol' Texas Brisket!

1. "How" to prepare it (ie: dry or wet rubs, foil or no foil, a pan or no pan, etc.)?

2. What temperature?

3. How long?

Just please don't use liquid smoke. It just doesn't taste right, and I'd rather have an oven brisket without it.
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:21 pm

Going back to your opening post I see where your oven gets "real hot". If you've tried this before with less than success perhaps your oven thermostat is not calibrated properly. Much like internal meat temp your cooking temp is kinda important. I'd drop by your local store that has kitchen gadgets and pick up a couple of oven rated thermometers. Mount them at or near grate level. At least you'll know what temp you're cooking at rather than guessing. :dont:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
Hondo
Pilgrim

Postby Hondo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:23 pm

Papa Tom wrote:You can do 225° it takes longer allow about 1.5 hr/lb I go somewhere around 250-275°.

Fat side up vs fat side down I always put the fat between the meat and the heat Since you have a gas oven the heat is on the bottom. Also since you are doing it in a oven and want a Texas style brisket putting the meat side up will help form some bark. In reality either way would result in a good finished chunk of meat.

I'm guessing that because of the size you will be putting the thing on the lower third of the oven. If there is no liquid in the pan at the time to put the lid on add some a cup or so of beef broth works actually water works, white wine works well.

Excellent! Thank you for the feedback, I did not realize that about the fat cap - totally makes sense now.

As for temps, what I've done before was 225 for about 11 hours overnight. Is there any benefit from going to about 250-275?

I will follow your instructions for sure, and I will also attach a picture of my nothing special beat up ol' "Char-Griller 3-Burner Dual Fuel Grill with Smoker Texas Trio" grill set up (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Grille ... /302624342), with the indirect heating method to see if I should incorporate that into this Brisket as well, but I honestly have never used it, nor do I really know how to do it properly lmao... Help lol?

Thanks again, look forward to your input.

Grill set up:
Image Image
.."Well Pilgrim,"...
Hondo
Pilgrim

Postby Hondo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:26 pm

egghead wrote:Now all you cowboys pull in the reins for a minute and pick up that rope while I comment.

When I was on the dark side, I would trim the fat, lay down some sliced onions at the bottom of a large roaster. Put the brisket in the onions, add a cup of Moore’s Steak Seasoning, then salt and coarse ground black pepper. Into an oven at 275 for about 7 hours with the lid on the roaster. I would check it around 5 hours and worry that it was going to be tough. Then the same at 6 hours. It was always done around 7 hours.

Moore’s Steak Seasoning is available at most grocery stores. Dales Steak Seasoning is the same thing.

I definitely like the idea of onions, and will incorporate this for sure.

Thank you very much!

-H.
.."Well Pilgrim,"...
Hondo
Pilgrim

Postby Hondo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:27 pm

PeterB123 wrote:
Hondo wrote:Hey all,

2. What temperature?

3. How long?

Just please don't use liquid smoke. It just doesn't taste right, and I'd rather have an oven brisket without it.

Yes Sir, will DEFINITELY avoid liquid smoke - it's just NOT the same lol, almost WORSE in my book, than doing a Brisket in the oven, haha! Our daughter is also a Cancer Survivor, so we try to avoid extra carcinogens, etc. in her diet.

Thanks chief,
-H.
.."Well Pilgrim,"...
Hondo
Pilgrim

Postby Hondo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:28 pm

txsmkmstr wrote:Going back to your opening post I see where your oven gets "real hot". If you've tried this before with less than success perhaps your oven thermostat is not calibrated properly. Much like internal meat temp your cooking temp is kinda important. I'd drop by your local store that has kitchen gadgets and pick up a couple of oven rated thermometers. Mount them at or near grate level. At least you'll know what temp you're cooking at rather than guessing. :dont:

For sure, will pick one up at the store today, thank you for the suggestion - that will help indefinitely!

-H.
.."Well Pilgrim,"...

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”