Yoder Santa Fe Trailer

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

BigBrizket
Pilgrim

Yoder Santa Fe Trailer

Postby BigBrizket » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:04 pm

Anyone have any experience with this? I am looking at pulling the trigger on one to get off the back porch and into the competition world of BBQ. Looking for something reliable but not a bank account breaker.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Yoder Santa Fe Trailer

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:49 pm

If you're just wanting to trailer it for Comps then you should be able to find one, even used?, for a couple hundred if you look around. Might need painting and new rubber but that just gives you bargaining power. :tup: Good Luck finding one and with the Competition :salut: :chef: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:15 am

Welcome BigBrizet. I have on first hand knowledge cooking on one of these but , as in so many things size matters. The Santa Fe is a nice size if you're looking for a starter unit. Seems a little limited on cook space for a comp.. Especially if you're cooking 3-4 different meats. If you could bump it up to the Chisholm, I know another $1k, but you get another 7-800sq.in.. Plus if you were planning on any upgrades to the Santa Fe you've pretty much put another $1k in it. So with all my ramblings, either look to be legit smokers and should serve well.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:14 am

OldUsedParts wrote:If you're just wanting to trailer it for Comps then you should be able to find one, even used?, for a couple hundred if you look around. Might need painting and new rubber but that just gives you bargaining power. :tup: Good Luck finding one and with the Competition :salut: :chef: :texas:

OOPS, I thought you were asking about a Trailer to haul your "existing Yoder" on :dont: :?: :whiteflag: :banghead:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
BigBrizket
Pilgrim

Postby BigBrizket » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:15 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I think I might pivot my plan and go ahead and take some time to up my budget to a bigger pit and I also might end up "rigging" up a flat bed trailer with a welder and some stainless so it how I want it and I'm not stuck with a factory design.

Hopefully pictures to come in the coming months.
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:56 pm

Most comp cookers use a Weber kettle or a Drum alongside there cooking rig to use for cooking comp chicken. Yoders are nice but there are many BBQ pit Manufacturers around the state. That way you can really customize it the way you want.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:24 pm

BigBrizket wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I think I might pivot my plan and go ahead and take some time to up my budget to a bigger pit and I also might end up "rigging" up a flat bed trailer with a welder and some stainless so it how I want it and I'm not stuck with a factory design.

Hopefully pictures to come in the coming months.

Looking forward to those - - - when you start your build, why not start a separate thread called BigBrizket Build "or something like that" :dont: :salut: :cheers:
BigBrizket
Pilgrim

Postby BigBrizket » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:44 pm

Update.

Went a complete opposite direction. I went to Pits By JJ here in Houston and have them building me one with some modifications I requested. I am hoping to be picking her up in a few weeks!

Any one have any advise on seasoning? My plan is to coat the inside with a layer of pam, lay some bacon on the grate, and give her a nice 2-3 hot burn. This advice was given to me from my grandpa, but I am interested if anyone else has any different methods?
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:19 pm

Congrats, JJ makes some great pits. Go with the Pam,Your grandpa is a wise man.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”