Next weekends brisket

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

JustinCouch
Outlaw

Next weekends brisket

Postby JustinCouch » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:28 pm

With the success of last weeks brisket I bought another one for next weekend. I have a few questions.
1. Will it be ok in the fridge till next Saturday?
2. I bought some oak chunks at Walmart. Anybody ever use them?
3. In considering doing snake method on the weber instead of the offset.
4. Instead of a multi ingredient rub I think I want to do the bovine lecture and just a salt and pepper rub.
I can't wait to hear what all have to say.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Next weekends brisket

Postby Rambo » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:42 pm

My opinion, FWIW, is that if you have red blood in the Pkg and your Fridge is 40 or under, your brisket will be fine
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:37 pm

I let my briskets sit in the fridge for around 30 Days. No issues and actually has yielded better results.

What brand of chunks? I assume Western? They will do just fine.

How big of a brisket do you have? Make sure it’s not too big to do on your kettle with the snake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:59 pm

JustinCouch wrote:With the success of last weeks brisket I bought another one for next weekend. I have a few questions.
1. Will it be ok in the fridge till next Saturday?
2. I bought some oak chunks at Walmart. Anybody ever use them?
3. In considering doing snake method on the weber instead of the offset.
4. Instead of a multi ingredient rub I think I want to do the bovine lecture and just a salt and pepper rub.
I can't wait to hear what all have to say.

1- Yes
2- Yes. I buy various wood chunks from wally world all the time.
3- I use a minion method in my Joe as well.
4- Simplicity is the best!

If you were referring to the bovine necter, that is my go-to injection, when I take that route.

Certainly looking forward to the results!
(Insert witty signature here)
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:48 am

I will be using kingsford bricketts for fuel. I want to try minion method as well. Do you spread the lit coals out evenly or try to pile them together. Also would you say half of a big chimney is to much or not enough? I can't wait for Saturday morning to get here. Im also going to spend more time at my smoker this time. Im going to move it to a more open area of the yard. I just thought about it where it usually sits there is no breeze. Maybe if I get it out in the open I might have a better draft. I am also curious about burying oak chunks in the charcoal bed. Maybe 5 or 6 or does that sound Luke 2 much. I usually just throw 1 or 2 at a time on topof the lite coals. I hope my brisket is as good as last times.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:34 pm

JustinCouch wrote:I will be using kingsford bricketts for fuel. I want to try minion method as well. Do you spread the lit coals out evenly or try to pile them together. Also would you say half of a big chimney is to much or not enough? I can't wait for Saturday morning to get here. Im also going to spend more time at my smoker this time. Im going to move it to a more open area of the yard. I just thought about it where it usually sits there is no breeze. Maybe if I get it out in the open I might have a better draft. I am also curious about burying oak chunks in the charcoal bed. Maybe 5 or 6 or does that sound Luke 2 much. I usually just throw 1 or 2 at a time on topof the lite coals. I hope my brisket is as good as last times.

How much lit coal you use and how you spread it is entirely subjective. Some use half, I use a whole chimney; some spread even, some pile it up. What REALLY matters is how much contact you have between the lit and unlit coals. I make contact with the entire back line of unlit coals. I light on the opposite end of the draft as well. I'll get a good burn duration this way, while keeping my temps at my usual 250 target range.
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Postby js-tx » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:00 pm

Have you done a long cook in your kettle before? It can be done no doubt, but I would feel more comfortable after a practice run on ribs or something. You'll probably have to rotate the brisket so not all one side gets the higher heat. Snake method you probably don't need to rotate.
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:39 pm

I have been reading about minion method and I feel like it is the solution to my problems with my offset. I appreciate all the advice txdragon. I can see in my mind what you are doing. This is almost opposite from what I have been doing. I can't wait to get this cook in the books.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:39 pm

JustinCouch wrote:I have been reading about minion method and I feel like it is the solution to my problems with my offset. I appreciate all the advice txdragon. I can see in my mind what you are doing. This is almost opposite from what I have been doing. I can't wait to get this cook in the books.

Glad I can be of assistance! I am almost fully convinced that off the shelf offset smokers will only be consistently successful using a minion method.
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:26 am

Thank you. Sat morning can't get here soon enough. I figure if I have the meat on by 4 am I should be good for about a 5 to 6 pm meal. Should I start earlier? Its a 10 ponder.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:52 am

JustinCouch wrote:Thank you. Sat morning can't get here soon enough. I figure if I have the meat on by 4 am I should be good for about a 5 to 6 pm meal. Should I start earlier? Its a 10 ponder.

That depends on a lot of factors. You can stretch it out all day like that, or you can have a 10 pounder done in 6 hours. For my faster cooks, I will pan it after a couple hours with some liquid and cover it and put it back on the pit, then give the fire the spurs and crank it to about 325-350 for an hour minimum, then let it coast from there. After pan and wrap, it's usually ready to pull in about 3 hours.
If you're not wrapping at any point, your timeframe looks about right. It will be plus or minus, depending on the weather and the brisket itself.
To avoid overcomplicating things, yes, your timeframe seems appropriate!
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:47 am

Saturday can't get here soon enough! I'm about to come unglued thinking about that 10.69 pound choice brisket in my fridge. I have been going over everything in my mind till I'm starting to hallucinate about smoke rings and perfect slices. I will prob still wrap it and finish in the oven like last time. I really want a crispy bark but I would rather have a moist tender brisket wit a wet bark than a dry and tough brisket with a perfect bark. Is it Saturday yet????!!!!
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:15 pm

I can see it now
Attachments
KC-BBQ.jpg
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:42 am

Anybody ever use bludawgs bull dust as a rub? I did last time but the mesquite smoke kinda killed the flavor on the bark. Also I gave the oak chunks a test run on some chicken last night and I am pleased with the flavor.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:59 am

SuckleBusters

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”