welcome

Where 'ya from? Whadda 'ya cook on? Tell us a little about yourself. Is there a bounty on your head?

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rich777 USER_AVATAR
Rich777
Chuck Wagon

welcome

Postby Rich777 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:48 pm

Welcome aboard wings.
a stumpted toe hurts
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:50 pm

Welcome WIngs!!!

Your list of interest fit me to a "T"!!! :lol:
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:00 pm

Welcome aboard. :D :D
Jim
Wings
Pilgrim

Postby Wings » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:30 pm

Thanks for the welcome. I just stumbled across the site while doing some research on smokers. Let me lead off by asking for a little advice from the experts.
I've always enjoyed outdoor cooking and I'm looking to expand my options a little. I've got a 22 inch Weber kettle and a Weber Genisis gas grill (good for those quick weeknight meals). For the past five or six years I've also used a gas fired upright smoker but I've never been real happy with it. It's gotten the job done but it's tme to move on. I considered an electic smoker, like a Bradley, but have decided to go the tradional route.
I'm not looking to break the bank but I want a decent unit that a newbie can learn without looking like a total fool. (I've got plenty of those skills in other areas. LOL) Anyway, I've checked the local BBQ supply stores and have narrowed the field to two units, a Tejas 1628 offset model or a 32" Urban Cooker from Southern Cooker. I'm leaning toward the UC because I can get a nice discount and it works out to about $100 less than the Tejas.
I'm looking for some comments, suggestions, ideas, concerns etc etc. What do the experts think of these two smokers and what would you guys recommend?
Ok, I've rambled for too long. I'll now sit back and read your replies. Thanks for helping out a novice.

Paul
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:07 pm

Wings check out the Pits, Smokers and Chuck Wagons section of the forum. Lots of good info there. :D :D Also you can ask any questions about different smokers there and will get more responses to them there, than here in the welcome section. :D :D
Jim
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:16 pm

welcome wings,

Is the Southern Cooker you refer to a "Southern Style Cooker" from Achile Oklahoma?
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:45 pm

Hey Wings welcome. Since you have ruled out the electrified or gas assisted units..and all the exspurts are apparently out busily spurting else where...might I suggest you narrow your search to upright type insulated cookers..which are designed to operate on charcoal and chunks. 3 brands spring immediatly to mind which are as follows:
1. Backwoods Smokers
2. Stumps
3. Spice Wine (upright models)
Now aint never seen 2 or 3 but know several folks who got #1 and it works well. Uninsulated offsets are for the birds. Upright types are much mo betta suited to city slickers who don't happen to own their own forests and aint got any guest workers on the payroll to cut the wood..haul it...split it..stack it etc. Logistically speaking the insulated uprights just make mo sense if you get my drift. In fact unless you live up close to the N. Pole a good upright dont even need to be insulated less it coming a tornado or blizzard etc. Get your thoughts going in that direction. Just my tuppence of course.

bgiwheel
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:18 pm

Welcome aboard, Paul!

I can't really help with your question, as I don't own a dedicated smoker. What I do is set my kettle up for smoking, which works well for me.

Of the ones you listed, I'd probably go with the Urban Cooker model, strictly for the price. $100 is a big difference, and a lot of meat to practice with. But, again, I don't have any experience with them, so I can't tell you if it's a good unit.

http://www.bab-b-q.com/tnb_009.htm - Southern Cokers
http://www.bab-b-q.com/tnb_029.htm - Urban models
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:19 pm

Welcome Wings glad ya found us and I wish I could help you out with your two smokers choices but I'm not familiar with either. I'm sure there are probably others on the forum who are. Seems there are a lot of WSM fans here and I think I am the only pellet head in the bunch. I do have a stick pit but it doesn't get much use.
tarde venientibus ossa....
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:36 pm

Same here... I cant help on your choices, but I have a CharGriller and love it! :goof:
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:49 pm

Wings wrote: I'm not looking to break the bank but I want a decent unit that a newbie can learn without looking like a total fool.

Welcome Wings!

Sounds like your already familiar with the quality of the Weber products, have you considered a WSM? I have two larger trailered offsets along with a bunch of other outdoor cooking devices, but I still find myself using the WSM at home for most family sized cooks... It is definitely lower cost than the ones you are looking at and you will most likely continue to use it even if you decide to go larger at a later date...

Be sure to let us all know what you decide!

James.
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:11 am

Welcome Wings! If you do decide to look at a WSM type, and can wait a couple months...I may know of a bigger and better model to offer.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
Wings
Pilgrim

Postby Wings » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:04 am

Thanks for the warm welcome. I look fowared to learning a lot from you folks.
Paul
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:22 am

welcome aboard Wings. I might suggest checking out DatsBBQ website for pits. Dats is a mod on here and has a great website dedicated to pits

http://www.ncre.biz/DATsBBQ/DATsBBQIndex.html

click on pit gallery at the top and you can get an idea on sizes and shapes of all kind of smokers from pretty much all over the world.
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:35 pm

Welcome Wings! Glad to have you aboard.
Laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!

Return to “WANTED POSTERS - New Member Introductions”