High school pit help

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

PNG Fishing
Pilgrim

High school pit help

Postby PNG Fishing » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:57 pm

I run a high school fishing team here in SETX and I would like some advice on a project we would like to start. Initially we were going to buy a nice big trailer smoker to use on fundraisers etc. We have a fairly substantial budget I thought until looking around at different options. The closest we found was a tandem trailer by Pitmakers in Houston. It was about $4000 more than we had. The welding teacher at the school got wind of our desires for a pit and contacted me about building it ourselves. We have had the local propane dealer donate the old tanks (1000, 500 or 250) to the project. We also have a good supply of metal from the local refineries. The teacher has confidence that they can do it however we would like. The price is right with labor being free and materials being mostly donated. My concerns are 1. what size should we build ie tank, 2. conventional or reverse flow 3. should it be at work around trailer or one you work inside with a roof. There are several other questions I have but these get me headed in the right direction. The pit will be used at fundraisers, we cook at the local festival, events that the high school has ( the school always borrows a pit ), even thoughts of having a high school cooking team to compete at local events. We really want this to be a nice pit. I need any suggestions I can get PLEASE!

PS- I saw a past post of someone building a pit out of a 1000 gal tank that looked nice. It had horizontal doors instead of vertical. I think i read that they cut it down to 10'.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Re: High school pit help

Postby Chasdev » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:18 pm

A quick point on how large plus enclosed or "walk around" would be to query how you intend to move the beast around.
Got a Ford Superduty or a Pinto?
PNG Fishing
Pilgrim

Postby PNG Fishing » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:26 pm

Fortunately we are also sponsored by the local Ford dealership so getting it around is not a problem. Another question I had was is it better to buy a new lowboy to attach cookers or have them build trailer from scratch.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:07 pm

There are some questions ya'll need to answer for yourselves that will help you out. A walk around means that you are cooking somewhere and the weather is bad then you are walking in rain and ppossibly mud all day. If the weather is good then it doesn't matter. A walk on pit on a trailer gets you up out of all that in case the weather is bad. Providing you put a roof on it. I have a walk around regular offset stick burner with a roof and fold up sides, I can stay out of the rain, but have to deal with it at the feet level if the weather is bad, just requires proper foot wear for me.

As far as the pit size go as big as your budget will allow. It is better to have the space and not need it, than to need it and not have it. I assume you have good access to a decent wood supply, so go as big as you can in my opinion. Same goes for if you are going to put an upright smoke box on it as well. I would also advise that you put running water on it and sinks and prep tables. Its easy to do on either style. Look at lots of different models and get the best ideas from them.

There is a guy on here that has both a walk on and a walk around, hopefully KAM will weigh in with his advice.
PNG Fishing
Pilgrim

Postby PNG Fishing » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:58 pm

I'm thinking I want to go with the walk on trailer with a roof. I guess it would be more concession style. I like the ones with the counter top and sink option and additional burners. As far as pit size I think the 1000 gal would work best cut down some. Mainly for the extra diameter of the cooking chamber 41" as apposed to 37". A warming chamber above the firebox would also be nice. I've watched a ton of videos and one thing for sure is there is obviously no perfect setup. What I dont want is a poorly functioning cooker or design flaws that are regrettable. If you had a $10,000 budget and most build material at a low cost and free labor what would you do?
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:00 pm

Insulate, insulate, and insulate.
Thick metal wrapped or covered in something to keep in the heat.
I prefer reverse flow as well to make the cook level temps more even, left to right.
That and start searching legit top quality seasoned post oak, and a wood shed to store the wood to keep out the rain and small critters.
Critters love a woodpile.
As to a warmer on top of the fire box, the hottest place on my pit is the top of the firebox, so something raised up high enough off the top so it wont burn your food as it keeps it warm.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:34 pm

Where are you located? I am guessing Port Neches.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
PNG Fishing
Pilgrim

Postby PNG Fishing » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:43 pm

Yes sir
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:03 pm

If you would like to look at my walk on trailer I am selling her I live in Vidor. Or if she is not what you have in mind I will be glad to help you with your design.
I can be reached at kmillervidortx@gmail.com
You can see some pics of "Bahama Mama" here.
https://www.facebook.com/Tequila-Sunris ... 950421974/
She is a walk on with a grill, hot and cold running water with a 30 gallon fresh water tank along with a two burner stove. The main cooker is a 250 gallon propane tank 50" wide Hybrid cooking chamber designed by me which can be used as a tuning plate or reverse flow cooker there is also a two compartment warmer over the firebox that can hold three pans of food or be used to cook in.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
PNG Fishing
Pilgrim

Postby PNG Fishing » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:10 pm

I would love to pick your brain about our project. I have tons of questions.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:25 pm

PNG Fishing wrote:I would love to pick your brain about our project. I have tons of questions.

Check your messages.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”