Keep an Eye out if you're along the Texas Coast

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Keep an Eye out if you're along the Texas Coast

Postby TX1911 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:35 am

With all the hubbub about the eclipse, this might have gone unnoticed. Harvey moved over the Yucatan and downgraded into a tropical depression. It's due to move back out into the Gulf this week and is projected to develop into a strong tropical storm (EURO) or a hurricane (GFS). Y'all keep an eye on it and be safe!

GFS Projection

EURO Projection
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Keep an Eye out if you're along the Texas Coast

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:05 am

Turned on the TV this am and they were talking about it. Immediate response was "where the heck did that come from"

Hope it just brings some rain and none of the other fun that comes with storms of this nature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:18 am

I've been watching it for a while, but it's been basically parked over the Yucatan. On the move now!
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:28 am

Thanks for the heads-up. Hope it stalls out!
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:48 am

thanks, Counselor, think I'd better wait before planning my Throw Down Q :roll:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:44 am

Bump: here's the latest I have on "Harv"

Source: WSI
“The remnant circulation associated with former tropical cyclone Harvey is becoming better organized over the southern Gulf near to the northwest of the Yucatan. It's likely that Harvey will regenerate into a tropical depression or storm within the next 6 to 12 hours. A ridge to the east will steer this system north-northwestward into the western Gulf through early Saturday. Global models unanimously forecast landfall between Corpus Christi and Galveston late Friday night or early Saturday morning. Conditions will be favorable for Harvey to become a hurricane just prior to moving inland. Most of the intensity models forecast a peak as a strong tropical storm, however the guidance often under forecasts how rapidly tropical cyclones tends to strengthen over the western Gulf. There is a chance for this system to reach Category II strength, as it appears now. After landfall, a low pressure trough forecast to pass to the north will slow Harvey down and cause it to drift eastward across the Upper Texas Coast later Saturday and Sunday. Winds will subside rapidly by Saturday afternoon but very heavy rainfall is likely over the central and upper TX Coast over the weekend. It could take through early next week for the remains of the system to cross southern Louisiana before finally ejecting out into the Southeastern states. Severe flooding is possible over southeastern Texas and southern Louisiana over the weekend and early next week where locally over a foot of rainfall could fall.”
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:05 pm

All, please be careful. Harvey has upgraded to a Hurricane as of a few minutes ago. It is predicted to become a major hurricane before landfall tomorrow night. If you are leaving, please go now. Don't wait until tomorrow. Go as far as you can due to the flooding. They are suggesting Dallas if you can.

If you're hunkering down, please get your supplies now, if you haven't already.

I want to hear from everyone when this is all over. Please please take care of yourselves!

Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:18 pm

This escalated quickly. Hope you folks down south stay safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:19 pm

What TX said.
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:13 pm

if it goes in West of us, as predicted, then we will be on what they call "the dirty side" - - - - hurricane Alicia put us on the dirty side here in East Texas and I don't care to experience that again - - - we may split but don't know yet
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:15 pm

We're staying put. I checked out the generator and filled the gas and propane tanks. Being on the southwest side of Houston, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't anxious.

But I've got a decent stash of whiskey, so....
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:24 pm

after googling more, I think we'll wait and see also BUT if the power goes out then we're outa here - - - the wiffy can't survive without AC - - - -fingers crossed
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:29 pm

This dang thing is strengthening and could reach Cat 3. Not something to play around with.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:05 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:after googling more, I think we'll wait and see also BUT if the power goes out then we're outa here - - - the wiffy can't survive without AC - - - -fingers crossed

Do what you have to. Sandy hit us back when, we were without power for two weeks. It's nothing I want to go through again.
Moink!
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:17 pm

Be safe everyone. As SK said, we went thru Sandy some years back and it was pretty scary with trees crashing down near our house. Afterwards, dealing with the cleanup & loss of power (not to mention gas shortages) was no fun. NOW I have a generator. So please be prepared.

I hope the storm weakens and isn't as bad as currently predicted.

Return to “General Discussion”