Honu41

Where 'ya from? Whadda 'ya cook on? Tell us a little about yourself. Is there a bounty on your head?

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Honu41

Postby SteerCrazy » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:32 pm

welcome aboard Honu41! Glad you found us
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:46 pm

Welcome!
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:54 pm

Welcome aboard. :D :D
Jim
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:03 pm

Aloha and thank you for your welcoming messages. I have lots to learn. This type of food preparation is very new to me. I am originally from Hawaii and been living on the mainland since 1960. I am retired and currently reside in Everett, WA about 25 miles north of downtown Seattle. My kind of pit is a hole in the ground filled with hot lava rocks. I have done hogs, turkeys, chickens and salmon in the imu ( in-ground pit) I also spit roast hogs, turkeys, barons of beef and pork quarters on motorized spits that I built.

I just ordered my pit this morning with a delivery date in 60 days. The manufacturer recommended this site for info and help so here I am. So far I like what I have seen and in the future you will hear from this transplanted Hawaiian seeking badly needed advice in slow and low temp cooking.

Take care and again mahalo (thanks) for the welcome...

aloha no,

honu41
honu41
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:27 pm

Howdy, Honu41, and welcome! I'm sure you have some great stories to share about your imu. If you can, we'd love to see some pics of your cooks. I'm really curious about those spits you built.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:51 pm

I did a lot of research on cooking a hog in an imu last summer, was going to use the tee pee method with river bed rock stacked upon the wood, but never quite mustered up the courage to do it. Glad you are here as I might just be looking for some help/tips come next summer.

Who is building your new pit?
Mahalo (in advance),
DJ
http://djstexasstylebbq.com

Caldwell, Texas Native
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: New member

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:39 pm

honu41 wrote:Aloha and thank you for your welcoming messages. I have lots to learn. This type of food preparation is very new to me. I am originally from Hawaii and been living on the mainland since 1960. I am retired and currently reside in Everett, WA about 25 miles north of downtown Seattle. My kind of pit is a hole in the ground filled with hot lava rocks. I have done hogs, turkeys, chickens and salmon in the imu ( in-ground pit) I also spit roast hogs, turkeys, barons of beef and pork quarters on motorized spits that I built.

I just ordered my pit this morning with a delivery date in 60 days. The manufacturer recommended this site for info and help so here I am. So far I like what I have seen and in the future you will hear from this transplanted Hawaiian seeking badly needed advice in slow and low temp cooking.

Take care and again mahalo (thanks) for the welcome...

aloha no,

honu41

Welcome H-41 glad you're here!
But let me get this straight, you just ordered a Hole in the Ground :shock: I can't wait for pictures......
tarde venientibus ossa....
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:16 pm

Aloha Mr Sandman, DJ and Papa Tom...

Mahalo for your replies. The spit I built is driven by a 1/4 hp electric motor that is belted to a "Boston" worm gear drive with the final speed of 3-1/2 rpm, the pipe is a 1-1/4 " dia galvanized pipe. The fire box is a "Belson" bbq about 2 ft x 5 ft. For a hog, I drive a large long nail thru the snout, tie the backbone to the pipe with wire and use a cross bar fot the hind legs.

For the imu, I use lava rocks that I got decades ago from HI and have gathered some here in Eastern WA. You have the right idea about heating the rocks. It takes about 3 hours to heat up the rocks.

For the cost of the pit I ordered it better not be a hole in the ground! I should have said my manufactured pit w/ upright. LOL Ritch is biulding my pit.

I will be glad to share my knowledge on roasting in an imu or on a spit. I can send details individually (on private mail) since it can get involved with lots of details.

Take care and mahalo for your messages...

aloha a hui hou...(until the next time)
honu41
smoked USER_AVATAR
Smoked
Cowboy

Postby Smoked » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:30 pm

Welcome aboard honu.. In ground pit roasting..Thats what I'm talking about...I have done it several times...Looking forward to reading some of your pit recipes and secrets.. :wink:
Ken
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:10 pm

Aloha Ken,

Good to hear that you have done in ground pit roasting. Actually I know of no "secrets". I use lava rocks, get them red hot after 3 hours, place hog in chicken wire basket, place hot rocks in the stomach cavity, in the armpits and pelvic region, place greens on the rocks, place hog on greens, cover with more greens, then wet burlap sacks, then a tarp or heavy plastic and finally cover the whole thing with dirt. After about 5 hours in the imu the hog is done and falls apart hence the reason for the wire basket.

In HI we use banana stumps and leaves plus ti leaves. Here on the mainland, I use corn stalks, watercress, lettuce, cabbage but never, never any part of broccoli which produces an unpleasant odor.

I tried using river rock but can't get them red hot plus they have a tendency to explode when heated.

Let me know if you need more info... Take care

a hui hou,
honu41
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:50 pm

Ritch makes really good pits, good choice. I had some banana leaf BBQ down in the Yucatan and it was really good.... Was always going to do a earth pit pig myself but never did and I think that is a good thing. I woulda screwed it up without some serious help.
tarde venientibus ossa....
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:31 am

Papa Tom,

From what I have read re: Ritch's products he is one of the best. His customer service so far has been great. I know I made the correct choice.

Yes banana leaves have been used in food prep for ages. Came way before aluminum foil and parchment paper plus it imparts a unique flavor. I am thinking of wrapping a pork shoulder in banana leaves then popping into my smoker. That should work.

Doing a hog in an imu is basically labor free once the hog is buried. There is no fire to tend so that equates to "suck 'em up (beer drinking) and talk story(shooting da breeze) time for at least 3 hours"! LOL And there is no way the meat can be burned or scorched since the heat comes from the hot rocks and there is no oxygen in the imu.

Take care a hui hou,
honu41
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:16 am

Welcome honu!

What type of pit (I'm assuming Gator Pit) are ya having Ritch build ya?

James.
mel USER_AVATAR
mel
Bandolero

Postby mel » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:17 am

welcome :D wow looks like we have a lot to learn from you hope we can help you out in return. Gator has some real nice pits which ever one you go with I know you will be happy.
MELs We have you covered
www.mels-bbq-covers.com
made in the USA

1-800-569-3592
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:22 am

Welcome honu! Look forward to your input and pics of your cooks.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36

Return to “WANTED POSTERS - New Member Introductions”