Brisket and ribs in a restaurant

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Insomnia
Pilgrim

Brisket and ribs in a restaurant

Postby Insomnia » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:44 am

Hello everyone

I was wondering to open a sort of americain bbq steakhouse in my country (Belgium).
But i was wondering how you could serve these 2 dishes because they need to be smoked for such a long time.. Do you guys know how they do it in your restaurants?

Many thanks
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Re: Brisket and ribs in a restaurant

Postby RWBTEX » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:02 am

Many ways to do it and some may disagree, I would highly recommend this book by the world best bbq cook (restaurant style) it is very informative and detailed.
Good luck
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
sinfony78
Rustler

Postby sinfony78 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:09 am

start cooking the afternoon the day before to have food ready by 11 am lunch. briskets will take the longest, ribs can be done 4-6 hours

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:13 am

I would look long and hard into this Venture and keep in mind that you will be dealing with the Public and "Their Tastes" - - - - believe me when I say that "those tastes can vary and become almost impossible to satisfy" - - - also don't forget the old saying "Location Location Location" :chef:

Now, after saying all of that "HERE'S WISHING YOU THE BEST OF LUCK IN WHAT EVER YOU DECIDE TO DO" :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:36 pm

Welcome! I strongly suggest you take some time to cook these items on your own first for a while. Get some practice in. Barbeque is really easy to mess up and you don't want something like that hanging over your head as a restaurant owner trying to make a living serving barbeque. If it is not really popular where you are from, that may be your safety net but at the same time, it might not catch on, especially if your customers have a bad dining experience.
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:21 pm

Yo Insomnia, A good source for affordable priced good quality meats is very important in turning out good "Q" and "Steaks" :tup: Is that readily available where you are :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:40 pm

RWBTEX wrote:Many ways to do it and some may disagree, I would highly recommend this book by the world best bbq cook (restaurant style) it is very informative and detailed.
Good luck

Sorry friend just noticed I forgot the link to the book, lol.
I did own a restaurant for two years here in Texas and one thing I learned and have now seen over and over, bbq must be fresh and good, customers do not forgive mistakes, they will put you out of business if you don't deliver good quality at fair prices. Also reheated bbq is a BIG no no!

https://www.amazon.com/Franklin-Barbecu ... +manifesto
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
dummy que
Pilgrim

Postby dummy que » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:12 pm

what ever you do don`t and i mean don`t boil them please good luck :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig:
LANG 60,BUD,AND A WHOLE PILE OF WORNOUT CHARGRILLER HORZ life is good sharp knifes,fire,and meat .
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:25 pm

Boil,lmfao

:lol:

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:32 pm

Russ wrote:Boil,lmfao

:lol:

Russ

Attaway! :cheers:
Moink!
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:53 am

First welcome to the forum....
Second, How do you make a million dollars in the restaurant business? /start with two million so you'll have a million when you go broke!! :laughing7:
I have never eaten a BBQ steak- that said my steaks are all fried or grilled different cooking methods at work here...
BBQ is slow and low temperature smoked and cooked. Totally different cooking methods for each. The taste preferences are very different in different parts of this country as I am sure they are in your country. One would first have to decide the flavor to be served and if the demand for such would be sufficient to support a commercial operation. Good Luck!! and let us know how it goes... :salut:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Brisket and ribs in a restaurant

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:02 am

dummy que wrote:what ever you do don`t and i mean don`t boil them please good luck :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig:

Lolololol ^^^^^^^^^
Lone_Wolf_Ronin
Pilgrim

Re: RE: Brisket and ribs in a restaurant

Postby Lone_Wolf_Ronin » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:32 am

Insomnia wrote:Hello everyone

I was wondering to open a sort of americain bbq steakhouse in my country (Belgium).
But i was wondering how you could serve these 2 dishes because they need to be smoked for such a long time.. Do you guys know how they do it in your restaurants?

Many thanks

Welcome to the forum from the land of da Cajuns.

Adding to everyone's already good points, I'll add the following:

A. Have in mind the target customer. Are they expats, locals with exposure in the US (particularly areas with lots of Tex-Mex restaurants), or just the locals who **might** like our BBQ?

B. From the above, you can explore whether to stick with a purer form of Tex-Mex cuisine (I say Tex-Mex as you mention brisket) or a cuisine adapted to using locals seasonings. (The latter would be like the many Chinese restaurants in the US, serving foods **adapted** to local tastes.)

C. From "A" and "B" above, you can also determine a suitable location. If MAIN target are the expats or locals with US exposure, you want to be as reasonably close to them as possible. If purely locals, wider options available.

D. Take into consideration your culture; many cultures consider using one's hands to pick up and eat food to be uncivilized. Except in fine dinning, most of us Americans love finger-licking foods. Belgians, I believe, eat sandwiches using their hands. Not sure about gnawing in bones, which would be somewhat of an issue with ribs.

E. Though you are focusing on brisket and ribs, at least on this forum, I'd also suggest offering some other foods as well for those not familiar with or not really liking Tex-Mex/other BBQ foods.

F. If you are not seasoned in doing BBQ, especially brisket and ribs, you may wish to consider bringing in someone more experienced. They can help create your taste, see below, as well as train your people. Many restaurants here in the US would be willing to help - usually for a fee.

G. Finally, in creating your own "tastse" for your 'que (BBQ), keep in mind some woods create a stronger flavor than others. Can't tell you how many times I had nice, tender, juicy ribs or brisket only to be seriously let down by mesquite so overwhelming I couldn't finish the meal. And that was in Texas!

At times it was so bad it should've been a hangun' offense! LOL

Best of luck with it and keep us posted on events.

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Lone_Wolf_Ronin
Pilgrim

Re: RE: Brisket and ribs in a restaurant

Postby Lone_Wolf_Ronin » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:18 pm

[quote="Insomnia"][/quote]

Another point: You don't mention whether or not you have restaurant or catering experience, or experience running any department or company.

Speaking solely from the US perspective, restaurants often operate on tight margins. Depending on uniqueness, level of customer service, target market and degree of competition (both direct and indirect), you might be able to widen your margins, at least for a while.

Regardless, you will need to tightly control costs. One of the bigger ones being spoilage: waste and theft. Theft is generally easier to control as supplies can be locked up with one or two people monitoring usage. Waste is a quite a bit harder to control. It covers everything from how often you order to quality of goods delivered to you to controlling temperatures, etc.

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”