Beef Rib Pros

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Bockbock
Cowboy

Beef Rib Pros

Postby Bockbock » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:37 pm

Hey all, want to try my hand at smoking some beef ribs this weekend. Anyone have any good pointers? I usually cook between 275-325. How long should I expect to be cooking? I am guessing take off when probe tender. Thanks in advance.
Bockbock
Dillo Q
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Re: Beef Rib Pros

Postby Finatic » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:37 pm

I cook beef ribs at 275. How long depends on how thick the ribs are. If they are really thick it could take 8-9 hours (or longer). Short ribs 3-5 hours. I pull them when IT is at 203 and let rest for 30 minutes. They're worth it!
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:39 pm

Beef Ribs

4 bone beef plate ribs (3-5 lbs.). Salt the ribs to taste – there is no salt in the rub. Let the ribs sit overnight. Apply a light coat of yellow mustard. Apply a generous amount of rub. Place on the smoker at 275 degrees for 6-8 hours, or until done – probe tender occurs around 195-205 degrees.

Beef Rib Rub Recipe

Ingredients
• 3 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
• 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
• 1 tablespoon onion powder
• 2 teaspoons mustard powder
• 2 teaspoons garlic powder
• 2 teaspoons ancho powder
• 2 teaspoons chipotle powder
• 1 teaspoon paprika
• 2 teaspoons cumin (optional – if you want a little south of the border taste)

Mix the ingredients together in a bowl. Store the rub in a sealed jar up to a year.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
riseabove50 USER_AVATAR
riseabove50
Rustler

Postby riseabove50 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:12 am

Aaron Franklin's version of beef ribs have been amazing for me and the wife, and so simple. lightly coat with hot sauce (yes hot sauce), then sprinkle with kosher salt and black pepper. smoke around 275 and depending on thickness and heat fluctuation could take anywhere from 7-11 hours. i usually wrap in foil somewhere between half and 2/3 done. have always been tender and juicy for me and it really brings out the beef flavor. check out Franklin's beef ribs on Youtube. so easy.
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:36 am

riseabove50 wrote:Aaron Franklin's version of beef ribs have been amazing for me and the wife, and so simple. lightly coat with hot sauce (yes hot sauce), then sprinkle with kosher salt and black pepper. smoke around 275 and depending on thickness and heat fluctuation could take anywhere from 7-11 hours. i usually wrap in foil somewhere between half and 2/3 done. have always been tender and juicy for me and it really brings out the beef flavor. check out Franklin's beef ribs on Youtube. so easy.

Seen this. Not much difference from how he does his briskets. I like this approach, but the wife prefers the savory additions, so...
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
Bockbock
Cowboy

Postby Bockbock » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:19 am

Short Ribs, Hotel Ribs or Finger Ribs? Just called a couple of meat markets in San Anontio and I am not sure which rib to get. They range from $3.99 a lb to $7.99 a lb for Hotel Ribs. What do ya'll buy when you smoke them? I saw Aaron Franklin did what he called "plate ribs" from the grocery store. Any suggestions? Thanks again for the responses.
Bockbock
Dillo Q
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:31 am

Not sure about hotel ribs. Short ribs are going to be really short- bite sized. I typically tell my butcher I want long beef plate ribs with a lot of meat still on top of the rib (most of the time that meat is cut off) that will weigh at least one pound each. This way you avoid getting something you don't want. FYI- I've had a really hard time finding the ones like Franklin cooks.
riseabove50 USER_AVATAR
riseabove50
Rustler

Postby riseabove50 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:32 am

decent article on the types of beef ribs:

http://barbecuebible.com/2014/05/23/big-bad-beef-ribs/

i've done plate ribs only but they've been phenomenal. i have talked t the butcher and asked for a full rack that isn't cut up in any way. that usually gives me a 4 bone set that looks like the attached pic. google images of plate ribs and you'll see lots of before and after cook shots. be sure not to trim that fat off! that's good eatin!

good luck.
Attachments
plate ribs.jpg
plate ribs.jpg (5.29 KiB) Viewed 10231 times
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:56 pm

I got my plate ribs from market street. I noticed on the Franklin TV show he was at Central Market. Or find a good local butcher.

Plate Ribs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twitter handle @bsooner75
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:09 pm

Bockbock wrote:Short Ribs, Hotel Ribs or Finger Ribs? Just called a couple of meat markets in San Anontio and I am not sure which rib to get. They range from $3.99 a lb to $7.99 a lb for Hotel Ribs. What do ya'll buy when you smoke them? I saw Aaron Franklin did what he called "plate ribs" from the grocery store. Any suggestions? Thanks again for the responses.

Hotel ribs sounds like a name they made up for their shop -- never heard of it. Finger ribs are not ribs, it is actually the meat strips left between the ribs. You want beef plate ribs. They are the 6th through the 10th ribs. It is called the short plate, and the ribs are called short ribs not because they are short in length, but because they come from what is called the short plate. I ask for a four bone plate beef rib. They are not cheap, but man are they good.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:21 am

Hey Bobcock,... I have been looking around for plate ribs in San Antonio and I finally found them. Bolners meat market on Flores street has them and I want to say it was right around $8.00 lb. but don't hold me to that. I didn't buy them that day as I was searching for a brisket.

Ric G.
riseabove50 USER_AVATAR
riseabove50
Rustler

Postby riseabove50 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:16 am

HEB usually carries them as well. you just have to talk to the butchers.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:09 am

most of the HEB butchers in the Round Rock area say no we don't have them, and the ribs they do have, have had the meat removed, so We just buy steak or otherwise because at the $6 to $8 dollar price per pound its a no brainer....
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:48 pm

spacetrucker wrote:most of the HEB butchers in the Round Rock area say no we don't have them, and the ribs they do have, have had the meat removed, so We just buy steak or otherwise because at the $6 to $8 dollar price per pound its a no brainer....

Haul yer butt over to Austin. Long Horn Meat Market will take care of you. Man I'll take a beef rib over steak on most days. :D
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
jmcrig USER_AVATAR
jmcrig
Bandolero

Postby jmcrig » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:26 pm

I have been able to purchase them from several HEB's in San Antonio. You have to talk to the people in the meat department keeping in mind they are not butchers, they're meat cutters. For the most part if you ask for plate or chuck ribs, they'll say no we don't carry them. If you tell them you want the ribs they cut to make short ribs, they have them.
Mark Crigler

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”