Arlington Texas Smoker

Where 'ya from? Whadda 'ya cook on? Tell us a little about yourself. Is there a bounty on your head?

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

lankster35
Pilgrim

Arlington Texas Smoker

Postby lankster35 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:16 pm

Hey! Been looking around for a site to join and settled on this one. My name is Bob and I started cooking with a horizontal stick burner about 25 years ago. Then somehow I lost my mind, sold my pit and switched to a stinkin electric smoker. They make good BBQ but it wasn't the same so after a 7 or 8 year hiatus here I am.

I ended up with a Lyfe Tyme 20"x40" double door with a vertical stack on the end and a 20"x32" firebox. I already installed some tuning plates as I was having a hard time keeping the heat next to the box manageable - Basically 350 on the right door, 250 on the left door and 150 in the vertical. Lyfe Tyme only puts about a 3" angled plate at the top inside next to the firebox that is really worthless. I now have 6 tuning plates 6"x18" that I'm using. Got the horizontal within 45 degrees of each other and the vertical is within another 50 degrees of the left door. I'm gonna keep trying to perfect it.

Also seems like I can't keep a good fire going for a long time and from what I read - and remember- I'm not starting with enough charcoal It burns out - I was only using one of the chimney starters and then 3 sticks of wood. It burns down to nothing before you know it and I'm looking forward to loading it up with a boatload of charcoal to see how it holds the temp - I'm thinking 10lbs.??

I used to run a second fire to preburn my sticks and wondered what anyone thought about that. Waste of wood? Just throw on a stick when I need to bump up the temp? This was always a good debate between me and my cooking buddies.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Bob
sparctek
Wrangler

Re: Arlington Texas Smoker

Postby sparctek » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:03 am

Welcome to the forum. I'm in Grand Prairie, so not far from you at all.
There is a lot of knowledge on this forum, so I am sure someone will be along to provide some feedback. Having said that, from what you describe it does sound like you don't have a big enough coal base to start with.

Look forward to seeing pics of your cooks.

Jesse
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:05 am

Welcome Arlington TX!
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:51 am

Big welcome to you. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:04 pm

Big Welcome, :D
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
Big Ed
Outlaw

Postby Big Ed » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:38 pm

Welcome to the forum!!! As far as pre burning your logs just do what works best for ya, I'm sure some of these armchair pitmasters on here will blast ya for it!! :roll:
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:49 pm

Welcome to the forum
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:14 am

welcome to the forum! If'n it were me I would not pre-burn to coals for an offset. If I were cookin direct and wanted to limit flame exposure to meats then yes I would pre-burn. But not on an offset, just need to take time cookin and see what size fire works best for the pit. Play around with the intake and leave exhaust wide open. You will figure it out! :D :D
lankster35
Pilgrim

Postby lankster35 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:02 pm

Fired up the pit today and got a good bed of coals this time - threw on three sticks pecan and let it burn down for a little. Basically ended up being too hot and had problems keeping the temp below 290-300. Ran the stack wide open and almost closed the intake completely so next time I'm going to only start with one stick of wood. I hate having to figure out a new pit but running the stack wide open had my smoke the perfect blue - I'm sure the heat helped too :)(.

Ribs (baby back) finished pretty much in 2.5 hours (wrapped them up now to try and tender them up) and I think my pork tenderloin might be tough. Up to 151 internal temp right now and wrapped it up to try and give it some help.

It hasn't taken me long to miss that old electric smoker and realize I should have never left the sticks - live and learn

Smoke 'em - Bob

Return to “WANTED POSTERS - New Member Introductions”