A little help for a new guy

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Firedup6
Pilgrim

A little help for a new guy

Postby Firedup6 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:00 pm

I am smoking for about 50 this weekend at a tailgate party. I have downloaded the catering planner but I guess I dont really understand how to use it. 3 briskets, one whole pork loin, 10 packs of sausage, 10 racks of spare ribs. Sound about right?
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: A little help for a new guy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:24 pm

Firedup6 wrote:I am smoking for about 50 this weekend at a tailgate party. I have downloaded the catering planner but I guess I dont really understand how to use it. 3 briskets, one whole pork loin, 10 packs of sausage, 10 racks of spare ribs. Sound about right?

3 10# briskets = 30# raw =15# cooked = 60 4oz servings
10 racks of ribs = 10 racks. 1/2 rack/person = 20 servings
10 packs of sausage, assuming 8 sausages per pack = 80 one sausage servings
Pork loin, depends on how big and how thin you slice,
Seems to me you'll have leftovers if its the little old lady crowd. About right if you're feeding the team.

Just my .02
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
Firedup6
Pilgrim

Postby Firedup6 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:20 pm

Deputy,

You must be the man...nobody else responded! I appreciate your advice. I will have a mix of the old lady church crowd and some hungry "man sized" tailgaters. I also have had people putting in reservations for the leftovers. May up the ante a little bit. I learned from being a firehouse cook for over twenty years that if you don't have a lot of leftovers, you didn't fix enough! Now just tell me a good mix of spray for a periodic baste. Thanks again.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:35 pm

I looked it over and agreed with Dats so I didn't reply. You didn't say anything about sides but I assumed there'd be some. Also thought Dats might be a little light on the briskets it seems here in Texas they are generally about 5-6 to the case (About 13-16#). As for a baste I never do that so I can't speak other than others seem to like apple juice and maybe some bourbon in the spray bottle.
I thought maybe Ezzy would jump in this thread he wrote the book on group feeds.
tarde venientibus ossa....
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:16 pm

Firedup6 wrote:You must be the man...nobody else responded! I appreciate your advice.

Gimme a minute!

Personally, I feed about 10 folks per packer brisket, 2 per rib rack, figure 3 per sausage pack, pork loin, call it 5 folks total.

3 packers - 30 folks
10 racks - 20 folks
10 sausage packs - 30 folks
1 loin - 5 folks
total - 85 people

You should do pretty well with what you got there.

As for a spray, got me. :dont:
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
Firedup6
Pilgrim

Postby Firedup6 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:00 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys. Ezzy jump in whenever you feel. Going grocery shopping tomorrow. Will get some pics of my retirement smoker as well as the groceries. Apple juice and bourbon? Not sure much would end up on the meat. But thats ok too. Hook'em!
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:17 pm

Firedup6 wrote:Deputy,

You must be the man...nobody else responded! I appreciate your advice. I will have a mix of the old lady church crowd and some hungry "man sized" tailgaters. I also have had people putting in reservations for the leftovers. May up the ante a little bit. I learned from being a firehouse cook for over twenty years that if you don't have a lot of leftovers, you didn't fix enough! Now just tell me a good mix of spray for a periodic baste. Thanks again.

Actually I was thinking maybe I messed on my math and everyone else was afraid to correct me :shock: Or that I was spot on and everyone else was afraid to challenge me. :lol:

I cooked for 50 for my Mrs B day last year. Did up a batch of BWs Genuine Texas Hot Links, 3 racks of back ribs, a smoked Salmon then found some PP and Brisket in the freezer and it was more than enough. You'll have more food than that laid out so you should be good to go. :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:40 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:[Actually I was thinking maybe I messed on my math and everyone else was afraid to correct me :shock: Or that I was spot on and everyone else was afraid to challenge me. :lol:

Nah, just took me that long to get a chance to respond. Kid had a class program at school tonight.

DATs broke it down into servings by size. I just guestimated from what I've used in the past for 8-10 person groups. I'd feel comfortable makin' that much food for 85-90 easy, probably a few more, and expect some leftovers. But, I tend to overcook anyway, since I don't want anyone to go away hungry.

For a spray, if I decidied to to one, I'd probably do a mix of apple juice, cider vinegar, and whiskey, like PT said. Like Tom, I usually don't do that, so I don't have a ready answer.

Edit: Just realized, with the pork loin, I was thinkin' a 4-5 lb loin roast. If bigger, add more folks.
Rob - TX Sandman

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."

Steven Raichlen
soezzy USER_AVATAR
SoEzzy
Wrangler

Postby SoEzzy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:11 am

Sorry for being a day late...I've been out all day busting my hump on some programming.

Crunching the numbers, here's what I came up with.

2 x 12lb briskets = 50+ servings @ 4 Oz/serving
8 racks of ribs = 2 ribs/person, throw in 9 racks buy the case price @ 7 Oz/serving.
5 packs sausage @ 1 x 2 Oz sausage/person 12 sausages/pack
15 lb loin = 50+ servings @ 4 Oz/serving

So a full plate of everything will come to 17 Oz of meat and bone!

A couple of sides and you'll have plenty for hearty eaters, the interesting thing about tailgating is that folks eat more than you'd think they would, as they can extend the eating time till the drinks run out! :wink:

For a spray I like 50/50 apple juice/JD.
soezzy USER_AVATAR
SoEzzy
Wrangler

Postby SoEzzy » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:22 pm

So how did it go?

Good, bad or ugly!
Firedup6
Pilgrim

Postby Firedup6 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:42 pm

After the awesome tailgate party and another Longhorn win, I headed out for a week on the road. Just got back in town. Thanks to all the help, it went great. I cooked my ribs a little too long (for me anyway) but everything else was great. Had a line at the pit all night and even had a few leftovers. I think I even fed some of them corhusker fans, but thats ok too. Thanks again for all the help ....and look out...I am hooked!
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:03 pm

:goof: Glad it went good for ya!!!
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:16 pm

Firedup6 wrote:I think I even fed some of them corhusker fans, but thats ok too.

Well, them huskers needed somethin' to feel good about, since the team sure ain't doin' it this year. :wink: Glad to hear it worked out for ya!
Rob - TX Sandman

Steven Raichlen
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:51 pm

TX Sandman wrote:
Firedup6 wrote:I think I even fed some of them corhusker fans, but thats ok too.

Well, them huskers needed somethin' to feel good about, since the team sure ain't doin' it this year. :wink: Glad to hear it worked out for ya!

Boy ya ain't just just whistling Dixie there!! Them Huskers is setting all kinds of records, none of them admirable.....

Firedup I'm happy to hear it went so well.
tarde venientibus ossa....
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:24 pm

Papa Tom wrote:
TX Sandman wrote:

Boy ya ain't just just whistling Dixie there!! Them Huskers is setting all kinds of records, none of them admirable.....

Firedup I'm happy to hear it went so well.

Just like the Broncos :shock: :cry:
Deputy Dave

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”