BBQ Guru my new toy!

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bram03 USER_AVATAR
BRam03
Pilgrim

BBQ Guru my new toy!

Postby BRam03 » Thu May 22, 2014 2:30 pm

Hey guys, just got my new BBQ guru and was wondering who else has them on their pit? I will be firing it up for the first time this weekend ill let you know how it goes
I live my life by a simple creed... Chili has no beans.
garzanium
Rustler

Re: BBQ Guru my new toy!

Postby garzanium » Thu May 22, 2014 2:42 pm

Not I.. my excuse has been, just more batteries for something to run or more stuff for me to take to comps...but they seem nice. What kind of pit will it be on?
I run backwoods and a backwoods competitor clone, so once locked, I'm good to go..
Was actually wanting one for my weber to run chicken and for longer slower smokers.
Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk 2
bram03 USER_AVATAR
BRam03
Pilgrim

Postby BRam03 » Thu May 22, 2014 3:08 pm

It will be on my old country pesos
scott p USER_AVATAR
Scott P
Cowboy

Postby Scott P » Thu May 22, 2014 5:14 pm

I have a Stoker on my WSM and love it. It's nice getting sleep or being able to do other things while cooking.
Buddha Belly BBQ Team

18" WSM
22" WSM
26" Kettle
Genesis II S-310
Large BGE
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Thu May 22, 2014 5:28 pm

Have a guru for my BGEs but seldom use it since the BGEs hold temp so well. It works mightyfine when I use it. Great service from the Guru folks if you need it.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Thu May 22, 2014 5:58 pm

BRam03 wrote:It will be on my old country pesos
I really hate to pee on your parade but it is time for the tuff luv :laughing7: Offset smokers are designed to run on wood. trying to make it run on charcal is one thing. Trying to make it run on charcoal with a blower is worse. The way an off set is designed to draft the fan will not shut off using wood with said device turns it in to a blast furnace. 99 % of the problems with Back yard offsets comes from trying to make them run on Charcoal. I've been down that road and know it well. Sell it to someone who can use it on a Cabinet & buy you a Chord of Oak.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Thu May 22, 2014 7:00 pm

DigiQ DXII on my Primo Oval XL is a good marriage. Pretty much set and forget. But I do not cook brisket on it -- only my Jambo clone will cook it to my liking.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
buzz USER_AVATAR
buzz
Throw Down MVP

Postby buzz » Thu May 22, 2014 7:23 pm

BluDawg wrote:
I really hate to pee on your parade but it is time for the tuff luv :laughing7: Offset smokers are designed to run on wood. trying to make it run on charcal is one thing. Trying to make it run on charcoal with a blower is worse. The way an off set is designed to draft the fan will not shut off using wood with said device turns it in to a blast furnace. 99 % of the problems with Back yard offsets comes from trying to make them run on Charcoal. I've been down that road and know it well. Sell it to someone who can use it on a Cabinet & buy you a Chord of Oak.

+1 ----- 6 mo. into my stick burner/with insulated fire box I still can't believe the way it holds temp. within 20 degrees. :D
bram03 USER_AVATAR
BRam03
Pilgrim

Postby BRam03 » Thu May 22, 2014 7:26 pm

BluDawg wrote:

People use them on offsets burning wood all the time...
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Thu May 22, 2014 7:37 pm

I cook with a dx2 on my uds and I have a cyberQ wifi for my vault if the weather ever gets crazy.
Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself!
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Thu May 22, 2014 7:50 pm

I use a guru myself on my BGE and will use it soon enough on the vault I'm getting.
I must say I like using it for longer cooks... pork butts, brisket and so on ... shorter cooks I dont bother hooking it up.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
bram03 USER_AVATAR
BRam03
Pilgrim

Postby BRam03 » Tue May 27, 2014 12:04 pm

first test with spare ribs cooking at 250 was a success. still more testing to do at lower and higher temps. So far this little thing rocks!
thesmokingyeti
Pilgrim

Postby thesmokingyeti » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:35 am

I just got one and used it. where do you place the temp gauge clip in the chamber and do you like the clip style temp gauge? I'm not sure I do?
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:21 pm

I've been using a DX2 on my UDS for a while. Great at comps and at home while I'm trying to tend to more than just a fire. I know a few comp guys that use them on an offset with success. You still have to feed the fire box, but they claim to use a little less wood.
bbqguruprobe
Pilgrim

Postby bbqguruprobe » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:24 am

Hey All!
Just wanted to let you know I'm selling low cost replacement meat / pit probes for the BBQ Guru smokers.
I got tired of paying nearly $25 for replacement parts and didn't like the way they were built, so I bought some materials and started making my own.
Everyone that used them at my local shows liked them and suggested I make some extra to sell and spread the good fortune... so here is the information:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291859370330

They utilize an easy to clean FEP jacketed cable instead of that woven steel.
The are pointed so can be used for food, or have the clip so can be used as a pit probe too.
They are built with SLE Special Limits of Error wire which is 2x as accurate as the standard limits of error wire normally used.

I have some longer 6" tubes getting made as well to make more meat probes and will have them listed when complete.

Also, items can be custom made to whatever length you need, just let me know.

Keep on grillin!

Return to “Pit Accessories, Stokers, Thermometers and Knives”