Brisket on at 5AM

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bullseye10x
Pilgrim

Brisket on at 5AM

Postby bullseye10x » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:02 pm

Got family coming in late tonight, so I got up early, lit a hickory/mesquite fire, and put a 12 Lb. hunk of beef in the box :chef: Not that I really need an excuse :D Figure about 6 hours uncovered and another 6 or so in foil should do it.
trufunk USER_AVATAR
trufunk
Wrangler

Re: Brisket on at 5AM

Postby trufunk » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:24 pm

Pictures please, sounds good.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
bullseye10x
Pilgrim

Postby bullseye10x » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:17 pm

Ask and you shall receive :mrgreen: So far so good. Got plenty of smoke exposure/bark and it's about 145 in the center. Gonna run and grab some more wood then wrap it up. All I gotta do after that is down a few Lone Star Lights and tend to the fire. Life is good!

bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:30 pm

12 lb brisket 6 hrs in a pan & 6 hrs in Foil you making Pot roast or chopped beef?
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:34 pm

I would also cut the foil time, 3 hours max or til prob tender.
Off to a great start, looks good.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
bullseye10x
Pilgrim

Postby bullseye10x » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:16 pm

BluDawg wrote:12 lb brisket 6 hrs in a pan & 6 hrs in Foil you making Pot roast or chopped beef?

Ha, I just put it in the pan a couple hours ago so it would get a little bark first. It's wrapped up now, but my cook time is usually 1 to 1.5 hours per pound at about 225 temp (about 1/3 to 1/2 of that time is in foil). That will get it to ~195 and a toothpick will go right through it. After resting, it holds together when sliced but is fork tender and moist. There is maybe a 1/4" of drippings in the pan at most so all that goodness stays in there. I hate dry brisket... How long does it take y'all to cook one this size? I've tried them without wrapping or shorter times on the pit and they are always too dry or chewy. :dont:
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Postby js-tx » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:48 pm

For me briskets around that size take around 9-10 hours. I got one on my WSM that's been on for about 8 hours, the last 3 wrapped in paper. I just checked on it and it has about another hour. I'm cooking @275*, meat therm free! 8)
jerodpb
Bandolero

Postby jerodpb » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:08 pm

bullseye10x wrote:
BluDawg wrote:12 lb brisket 6 hrs in a pan & 6 hrs in Foil you making Pot roast or chopped beef?

Ha, I just put it in the pan a couple hours ago so it would get a little bark first. It's wrapped up now, but my cook time is usually 1 to 1.5 hours per pound at about 225 temp (about 1/3 to 1/2 of that time is in foil). That will get it to ~195 and a toothpick will go right through it. After resting, it holds together when sliced but is fork tender and moist. There is maybe a 1/4" of drippings in the pan at most so all that goodness stays in there. I hate dry brisket... How long does it take y'all to cook one this size? I've tried them without wrapping or shorter times on the pit and they are always too dry or chewy. :dont:

last 2 took just over 11 hrs to get the bark I wanted, they were at 194 internal, wrapped, 1 hr 25 min. later they were probe tender at 203-205 internal

they came out perfect....they were 11+ pounds
Pit Barrel Cooker Fanatic
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:16 pm

bullseye10x wrote:

12 -15 lb brisket> 4 hrs FC dn, 1-2 hrs wrapped in Butcher paper FC up, 2 hr rest on the counter wrapped in the same paper 7-8 hrs tops.Image
Last edited by BluDawg on Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:19 pm

bullseye10x wrote:

You need to get you some butcher paper. Cook 3-4 hrs @300-325 grate temp until 180 internal, wrap in BP, cook till probe tender. I literally hate foil now after using butcher paper. Only time I use foil is when I cook for friends and they bring the foil.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F_Xo1yqXAM&sns=em
IMO anytime you wrap before 180 or it stays in the wrap more than 2 hrs , you got pot roast. What's the point of building a good smoky spicy bark just to wrap it up and have it all fall off. Butcher paper is your friend
Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself!
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:40 pm

bullseye10x wrote: I've tried them without wrapping or shorter times on the pit and they are always too dry or chewy. :dont:

Stick with what works for you - there's no one single way to cook a brisket.

Looking forward to hearing your final impressions and thanks for taking time to post up pictures.
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
jerodpb
Bandolero

Postby jerodpb » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:06 pm

I did the pan and the butcher paper and I really couldn't tell a difference in the integrity of the bark b/n the two

I did wrap later in the cook than most, but I will say butcher paper is cheaper than investing in the aluminum industry.....with that said, watching how they make aluminum foil is the da bomb
Pit Barrel Cooker Fanatic
bullseye10x
Pilgrim

Postby bullseye10x » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:18 pm

Almost done...190-ish but the flat is still a little tougher than I like them to be. Gonna give it another hour on low heat and call it good. Man I'm getting hungry!
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:09 pm

txsmkmstr wrote:
bullseye10x wrote: I've tried them without wrapping or shorter times on the pit and they are always too dry or chewy. :dont:

Looking forward to hearing your final impressions and thanks for taking time to post up pictures.

I totally agree, I was just suggesting. Everybody has there own way of cooking Que. Do whatever you can to get the meat tenderness you require.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:19 pm

txsmkmstr wrote:

True... There's always more than one way to skin the proverbial cat. That being said, believe it or not if your brisket is dry and chewy, chances are the fat and connective tissue hasn't rendered it fully broken down. It actually needs to cook longer... Take it til it's probe tender as BluDawg would say, "like a hot knife through room temp butter." Dry and falling apart would be overcooked, chewy is undercooked.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”