New competition rig build

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

texaspyro USER_AVATAR
TexasPyro
Rustler

Postby TexasPyro » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:22 pm

A couple of months back I had the intentions of building a new insulated firebox for my offset pit, fast forward to two weeks ago I still hadn't got it done. Competition season is quickly approaching, before I know it, it'll be here. A few phone calls didn't really yield the results I had hoped for, no one wanted to touch building a new firebox. Long story short, since I don't have $10k to drop on a R&O or Jambo, I decided instead of tearing my old pit apart, Id sell it and build a new custom competition rig.

Its been fun to day dream and put pen to paper and really build what I want. The trailer is 15' on length overall, the cook chamber is a custom rolled 30"x66" quarter inch drum, the firebox will be 25x25x25, with 3" of ceramic insulation all around for a total dimension of 30x30x30. I will be building a storage box up front, a custom cutout for my Brute cooler and Cambro. I hopefully will have time to build and integrate a medium sized vertical cooker and a pair of propane burners.

I got most of the parts ordered this week and picked the last of it up this morning. Here are a couple of pics, burnt in the first weld last night, let the fun begin!!!

pit3.jpg

pit2.jpg

pit4.jpg
jerodpb
Bandolero

Re: New competition rig build

Postby jerodpb » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:12 pm

you do pyrotechnics or something....??

I had some rebar cut today at ace, to lay expanded metal on for my splits when I smoke again in my COS....extent of my manufacturing excellence :dont: :laughing7:
Pit Barrel Cooker Fanatic
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:52 pm

Good looking start, keep posting progress. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
texaspyro USER_AVATAR
TexasPyro
Rustler

Postby TexasPyro » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:51 am

jerodpb wrote:you do pyrotechnics or something....??

I had some rebar cut today at ace, to lay expanded metal on for my splits when I smoke again in my COS....extent of my manufacturing excellence :dont: :laughing7:

Yes I do, I shoot large public displays all over Texas, the pic in my avatar is a show we do out at Possum Kingdom Lake on the 4th every year.

Got some more work done, Ill post pics this evening.
RLTXBBQ
Pilgrim

Postby RLTXBBQ » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:29 pm

Nice start, is that 2x3 square tubing and how thick is it, thinking about doing the same. You going to build a 24" smoker?
crazyd USER_AVATAR
CrazyD
Bandolero

Postby CrazyD » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:35 pm

Looking good! Keep it up! Where are you located? Noticed you mentioned possum kingdom. Not to far from here (Abilene).
Custom Offset Trailer With Pitmaker BBQ Safe
texaspyro USER_AVATAR
TexasPyro
Rustler

Postby TexasPyro » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:53 pm

RLTXBBQ wrote:Nice start, is that 2x3 square tubing and how thick is it, thinking about doing the same. You going to build a 24" smoker?

Yes it is, I used 11g 2x3 tubing, seems plenty strong, trailer should weigh in around 2200lbs. I probably should have done a smaller 24" smoker, this project originally started as just an insulated firebox for my current pit, its 30"x70". I decided to keep it roughly the same dimensions, I hope I don't regret it.

CrazyD wrote:Looking good! Keep it up! Where are you located? Noticed you mentioned possum kingdom. Not to far from here (Abilene).

Thanks! I'm located in Forth Worth, my favorite place on earth is Possum Kingdom, spent most of my life out on that lake, Im very fortunate to get to shoot that show.

Got some more work done the past few days, got the electric jack installed and got the front storage box framed up and skinned, hope to finish it tomorrow. I also picked up the cylinder I had rolled, its 30"x66" 1/4" steel.

Coming along as planned.

Please excuse the mess! Most of it is work related that needs to be gone through and thrown away!

pit8.jpg

pit6.jpg

pit7.jpg
jerodpb
Bandolero

Postby jerodpb » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:24 am

Knee-ice....
crazyd USER_AVATAR
CrazyD
Bandolero

Postby CrazyD » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:42 am

Looking good! My current build is out of 2x3 11ga and its plenty strong.
4Mfarms
Wrangler

Postby 4Mfarms » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:12 am

TexasPyro, I'm liking the build so far, especially the attention to little details. It pays huge rewards in the final appearance but takes time and patience. Look forward to seeing more.

4M farms
jerodpb
Bandolero

Postby jerodpb » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:50 pm

Please excuse the mess!

funny, when single, my house, well, 90% of it, looked like an archery shop had exploded...and I wasn't running an archery shop out of my house :mrgreen:
texaspyro USER_AVATAR
TexasPyro
Rustler

Postby TexasPyro » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:21 pm

4Mfarms wrote:TexasPyro, I'm liking the build so far, especially the attention to little details. It pays huge rewards in the final appearance but takes time and patience. Look forward to seeing more.

4M farms

I appreciate the kind words, Ive made a living paying attention to detail, to the point that I probably have mild OCD! That being said, I'm worried that my OCD may outweigh my fabrication skills! Small imperfections will drive me crazy!

jerodpb wrote:
Please excuse the mess!

funny, when single, my house, well, 90% of it, looked like an archery shop had exploded...and I wasn't running an archery shop out of my house :mrgreen:

Funny you mention that, I'm single, well, not married anyway, my house is very much a man cave. The girlfriend is slowly trying to domesticate me, can you see how well that is working?? So far out of the whole house, Ive given her two drawers in one of the night stands to do with what she wants!! :laughing7:

Thanks to the snow Ive had a little time to work on it today, just about have the storage box skinned, I must say, sheet metal is my least favorite part of this build.

rsz_pit9.jpg
crazyd USER_AVATAR
CrazyD
Bandolero

Postby CrazyD » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:33 pm

Looks good. Im almost to the point of skinning mine and kinda dredding it.
texaspyro USER_AVATAR
TexasPyro
Rustler

Postby TexasPyro » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:00 pm

Thanks, its certainly not a lot of fun. I haven't done any welding or fabricating since building our boat dock 15 years ago as a kid. Its starting to come back to me, I forget how forgiving metal is. In the end I'm going to skin it, grind it, and body fill it before paint.
crazyd USER_AVATAR
CrazyD
Bandolero

Postby CrazyD » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:06 pm

Im still not sure im gonna do any body filler on mine. We'll see.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”