There and Back Again: The Desolation of Haug

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

andrewospencer USER_AVATAR
andrewospencer
Pilgrim

Postby andrewospencer » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:55 pm

Like an army of Tolkien goblins crashing through the forest, I could hear the wild boar rumbling down hill. Evil high pitched squeals of tortured agony and rage along with the guttural grunts and snorts caused a rapid rise in my heart rate. Not squirrels or birds hopping in the dry leaves giving rise to false hopes. Limbs cracked, hooves thudded and briers snapped as the rambling procession edged closer. No, these were animals of considerable size. I moved my rifle into position silently, and peered through the scope to assure a clear line of fire.

My range finder told me in alarm-clock-red letters it was 123 yards to the large birch near the trail I figured the pigs would use to enter the pasture. Confidently hidden, I was perched in a tripod stand on the back side of our ranch. I wore no magic ring, just my black SmartWool merino base layers and camouflage neoprene waders–I was nearly invisible nonetheless in the shade and leaves of a pecan grove. Middle Lilly Creek was full, making the neoprene waders a necessity, though I was fighting my natural sweating proclivities despite temperatures in the 20s. But a risen creek was a good thing because it meant decreased hunting pressure.

Soon the anticipation was over and into the field burst a pair of black razorbacks nose to the ground pushing the sandy loam aside like bulldozers. I aligned my cross-hairs on the fur covered shoulder of the boar as it moved hurriedly back and forth at the edge of the mirkwoods. The light was soft and through my scope darkness and latent muscular energy emanated from the beast. Slowly, my finger steadily increased pressure until the sight picture was suddenly obscured as the second boar swung his torso violently into the first sending them both onto their backs. I stopped my squeeze.

As the swine scrambled to their feet I found my mark again and shot. I didn’t feel the shock from the synthetic stock of my Tika T3 .3006 because I was distracted by screaming eerily reminiscent of ring-wraiths. I lost sight of my target through the scope and the pigs sprinted towards me, one stopping 50 yards to the right. I sent another 180 grains racing into the swine only to see him run the 70 yards behind me out of sight.

Distraught, I climbed from my hiding spot in the tree leaves, and started my search for blood. I found none. I cursed myself for missing at such close range. Then elation.

If you'd like to see more pictures, click here: http://wp.me/p3bCKM-a8
Soon I will be making some bacon like Texas Dragon
crazyd USER_AVATAR
CrazyD
Bandolero

Re: There and Back Again: The Desolation of Haug

Postby CrazyD » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:12 pm

Nice!
Custom Offset Trailer With Pitmaker BBQ Safe
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:30 pm

I hate to bust your bubble but you won't get any bacon of that little fella
andrewospencer
Pilgrim

Postby andrewospencer » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:36 pm

We will see. I already have it in the fridge curing with the pink salt and other ingredients. The belly was about an inch thick. Ill post the results with pictures.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:55 pm

Nicely wrote neighbor. Between you and Grizzley James, we're getting some artistic license around here, kinda classes up the place a bit. I might have to start taking a bath twice a week now to keep up.

BTW, nice hog.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
andrewospencer
Pilgrim

Postby andrewospencer » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:36 am

thats awful kind of you boots!
jayzi USER_AVATAR
jayzi
Rustler

Postby jayzi » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:56 pm

Can you smoke the shoulders on wild hogs? I mean is there any different prep steps to smoking wild hog vs. a store bought shoulder? Is the meat gamey, I have a friend that is going out to hunt some and wanted to know if I wanted any meat. I am a novice to this and don't know if that would be good.

JZ
Weber 22.5", UDS
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:22 pm

Sometimes there's not as much fat content, so that does change the game a little bit. I usually keep mine in the cooler, on ice, for a few days and drain it daily to get most of the blood out. That usually kills most of the gaminess.
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:20 pm

jayzi wrote:Can you smoke the shoulders on wild hogs? I mean is there any different prep steps to smoking wild hog vs. a store bought shoulder? Is the meat gamey, I have a friend that is going out to hunt some and wanted to know if I wanted any meat. I am a novice to this and don't know if that would be good.

JZ

I smoked a wild hog shoulder and a store-bought butt side by side, prepared identically last year for some friends and nobody could tell the different in the two....
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:59 pm

Nice looking swine.
I always aim for the head/ neck on a pig... if I hit there's no chasing and no loss of meat. If by chance I miss no harm done as it's fairly obvious when they run off. As for wild pig,my experiences have been due to their diet and constant rummaging the fat content is considerably less (throughout... still has a fatty exterior) than that of a farm raised pig so they can dry out quicker and usually need some fatty meat added if you make sausage.
Last edited by jtilk on Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
andrewospencer
Pilgrim

Postby andrewospencer » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:50 pm

Josh, after studying some anatomy pictures of pigs, you have the right of it. Aiming at the crease of a pigs shoulder is worthless. Forward shoulder or neck shots are the only way to go.

Return to “General Discussion”