Question about pellet smokers

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

mikro
Pilgrim

Question about pellet smokers

Postby mikro » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:50 pm

Hello All,
I'm new here, been lurking for awhile. I have read up on pellet smokers and still have some questions.
I am converting a Gas smoker to electric with PID control as well as adding a cold smoke generator. What I have found while testing is, the smoke from the SM is very dense. This causes me concern as I am afraid that my meats will become very bitter if smoke is generated throughout the cook cycle or even half of the cycle. I know from experience using stick burners that most meats get there smoke flavor in the first 50% of the cycle but even still I am afraid the smoke is too much from this thing. I plan on mixing hardwood with the pellets to hopefully cut down on the overly dense smoke. Any advice from those here with more experience in pellets would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mike in Dallas TX
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Question about pellet smokers

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:10 pm

mikro wrote:Hello All,
I'm new here, been lurking for awhile. I have read up on pellet smokers and still have some questions.
I am converting a Gas smoker to electric with PID control as well as adding a cold smoke generator. What I have found while testing is, the smoke from the SM is very dense. This causes me concern as I am afraid that my meats will become very bitter if smoke is generated throughout the cook cycle or even half of the cycle. I know from experience using stick burners that most meats get there smoke flavor in the first 50% of the cycle but even still I am afraid the smoke is too much from this thing. I plan on mixing hardwood with the pellets to hopefully cut down on the overly dense smoke. Any advice from those here with more experience in pellets would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mike in Dallas TX

Well I have been cooking with pellets for about 15 years but since I don't know what your rig consists of I can't help with the supplied info.
Is the PID going to control pellet feed?
Is the PID going to control air flow?
What is "SM"?
tarde venientibus ossa....
mikro
Pilgrim

Postby mikro » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:29 pm

Papa Tom wrote:
mikro wrote:Hello All,

Thanks in advance,

Mike in Dallas TX

Well I have been cooking with pellets for about 15 years but since I don't know what your rig consists of I can't help with the supplied info.
Is the PID going to control pellet feed?
Is the PID going to control air flow?
What is "SM"?
The PID will control temp only. I am debating on if I should leave the existing stack in place and allow the heat to control airflow or close it off? The pellet feed is the rate of burn in the SM (Smoke generator I used the wrong initials OOPS) http://www.smokedaddyinc.com/index.html

I have mounted one of these Cold smoke generators to the box.

What I am converting is a members mark all stainless propane smoker. It is fully insulated. These had a problem of temp control from what I have read. I was given this from a friend who could not get it to work below 375* Therefore I decided to make it an electric heated with temp control and a smoke generator. It will be using a 1500 watt element with a thermocouple attached at the back wall located in the middle of the 4 racks. Also will have a water pan.

I hope this helps you understand what I am trying to do? I can provide pictures if needed.

Thank you again,

Mike

BTW thanks for your reply and questions. :)
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:25 am

OK I have a better idea now although it does not equate to "Pellet Cooking" as I have been involved in however I have experimented with devices such as yours.
First "Bitter Smoke" this the product of incomplete combustion and creosote formation. Basically not enough air to the smoldering saw dust/pellets.
Second I think Smoke Daddy is overkill and thus too expensive. ( Look who's talking here......he who has spent many thousands over the years on devices that make smoke :mrgreen: )
For cold smoking I use a homemade device consisting of a cricket bait holder (couple $ @ Wally) and a stainless kitchen sink strainer ($1 @ Dollar Tree or about $2 @ Wally) some thin wire (got mine @ Harbor Freight but any will work). So less than $5 and no air pump required and it's easier to clean.
Third Welcome to the forum glad you found us and you'll find lots of fine folks here glad to help contribute to your smoky vice....

BTW my cold smoker works best if there is some air flow but you will probably have some convection flow from the heating coil.
mikro
Pilgrim

Postby mikro » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:44 am

Thanks Papa Tom for the info. Yes I know the smoke daddy is high$$ but it was my easiest solution for now. :) I have about $300 total in this project now so I don't feel that bad about the $$$.

I agree that the convection aspect may work and leave the pump off maybe? Using the convection draw indicates that I should most likely leave the stack in place and maybe add dampers. to the air intakes and stack?

It looks like this will be a test and see what it takes to do some good Q. :)

As far as the Cold Smoke Gen, I also plan on smoking cheese and also spices thus the reason for the cold smoke gen.

Again many thanks, I'll try and post some pics of the rig once it is done.

One other thing, I have found that McMasterCarr.com is a great source for things like stainless screen material as well as high temp insulation. Just thought I would introduce a new source here for odd items that some may use or need.

Mike

Link to High Temp Insulation

Link to Stainless Screen
Last edited by mikro on Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:12 am

Nice links Thanks
I agree with the stack. You also want to avoid "stale smoke" so you need to keep some flow.
I had one of those electric smokers once (the so called 20 pounder) and it was not good, bad smoke, stale smoke, moisture build up, pellets/sawdust would sometimes catch on fire and spoil the goods.

My version of the smoke generator is cheap enough for anybody to play with. I have posted pictures before but I don't know if they still exist.
mikro
Pilgrim

Postby mikro » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:23 pm

Well it's Saturday. :) First test with meat. :) A small Picnic and one rack of spare ribs. So far all looks good. Oh some JJ Cale and Clapton tunes as well. :)
So far the electric conversion is doing great from all of my dry runs. The smoke generator is working well without the pump.
I still need to do some finish work on the outside covering some holes.

mikro
Pilgrim

Postby mikro » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:03 pm

Update: to my conversion, I have had some problems with the SmokeDaddy Cold Smoke Gen, Dennis at Smoke Daddy Inc has been very helpful throughout this whole process. After some discussions and different setups for my application, we have decided that I would be better suited using the Pellet pro assembly. I am sending the unit back to him with a full refund and will be changing this conversion to the Pellet Pro assembly that he sells.

My Hats off to Dennis and Smoke Daddy Inc, this man knows what customer service is all about and has earned a 5star rating in my book :)

Mike

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”