Best deal on brisket

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

telebasher
Pilgrim

Best deal on brisket

Postby telebasher » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:38 am

Just got the best deal on packer brisket I'll ever get. Saw this real nice 17# in the meat counter a my local United store. When I looked at the price sticker had to do a triple take, $0.42 for a 17 pounder. They had it at .17 lb @ $2.49= $0.42. This one is going to taste really good LOL!!!
BushInternational
Wrangler

Re: Best deal on brisket

Postby BushInternational » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:04 am

Be leery of very cheap prices. Some are rejects and maybe thawed and refrozen many times over. Check the color if they look unusual.
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:03 pm

BushInternational wrote:Be leery of very cheap prices. Some are rejects and maybe thawed and refrozen many times over. Check the color if they look unusual.

I think he's ok Bush, it was just a typo. Listed at a fraction of a pound. (.17 instead of 17). haha
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
BushInternational
Wrangler

Postby BushInternational » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:22 pm

Anyway thats good. I just bought the Sucklebuster Competition BBQ Rub and
Spicy Peach BBQ Sauce from my local leader. Looking forward to tasting these babies.
El Ropo
Rustler

Postby El Ropo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:57 pm

Great score! What grade was the meat? If there was no USDA stamp on back of cryo, that means is ungraded, and will be very lean, meaning may not turn out optimal. Now if it says USDA choice, or certified angus beef choice, you really scored!
Modded Brinkmann Gourmet. Basic UDS. Rescued 22.5" OTS. Weber SJS. Stubbs. B&B Oak Lump.

Cannondale 2009 F8 (for burning off all the great BBQ)
scotchale USER_AVATAR
scotchale
Pilgrim

Postby scotchale » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:16 pm

What are some better meats (Brisket) out there and how should I look for them?

In the past, I only cooked a brisket about once or twice year and when I bought a whole brisket, they all looked like the same general cryo-packed meat from Nebraska or wherever up north. No indication of type of beef or particular characteristics. Now that my interest in smoking has picked up this year, I am more interested in getting better quality beef, Angus preferably.

I recently read a Texas Monthly article about a couple of BBQ barons noted something about trying to get "natural" brisket. I assume something along the lines of organic? (I need to re-read the article). Seems like that would be even more challenging to find, let along "afford" !!

Thanks,
Bryan in Bryan
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Postby js-tx » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:04 pm

scotchale wrote:What are some better meats (Brisket) out there and how should I look for them?

In the past, I only cooked a brisket about once or twice year and when I bought a whole brisket, they all looked like the same general cryo-packed meat from Nebraska or wherever up north. No indication of type of beef or particular characteristics. Now that my interest in smoking has picked up this year, I am more interested in getting better quality beef, Angus preferably.

I recently read a Texas Monthly article about a couple of BBQ barons noted something about trying to get "natural" brisket. I assume something along the lines of organic? (I need to re-read the article). Seems like that would be even more challenging to find, let along "afford" !!

Thanks,
Bryan in Bryan

I've been told by a butcher that Angus isn't nothing but a breed of cow. I usually try to get choice or better, especially on the rare occasion that they are on sale at HEB. Central Market carries natural brisket but you are right it's really expensive. I've never tried it myself so I don't know if there is a noticeable difference.
BushInternational
Wrangler

Postby BushInternational » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:59 pm

Its about hard to find all natural beef now bec all cows do receive supplements to boost their body mass. Even the fish at the fish markets are all mostly from fishfarms fed with their own feeds.
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:50 am

scotchale wrote:What are some better meats (Brisket) out there and how should I look for them?

I smoke whole packer briskets and look for USDA Choice (stamped on the cryovac). I usually have to get them at my local grocery store (Albertsons, Krogers) and actually picked up my last one at Walmart. I typically buy all of my other meat at Sams Club, but my local Sams Club only carries Select Packers. I could buy a Choice trimmed brisket at Sams, but the cost goes way up and I like packers anyways. I can usually find Choice Packers at one of my stores for around $1.99/lb on sale.
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
scotchale USER_AVATAR
scotchale
Pilgrim

Postby scotchale » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:33 am

"I've been told by a butcher that Angus isn't nothing but a breed of cow."

Well, yes, its a breed of cow along with Hereford, Brahmas, Charolais, etc....

I do know that when I have bought steaks in the past, sirloin or ribeye in particular, the Angus meats always seem to have a more full flavor? Probably a better combination of fat to beef content, hard to say? Higher moisture content probably as well, they don't seem to dry out like other "breeds of meats" I have cooked over the years.

Now, how does that compare with Brisket? I don't have an answer on that yet, which garnered this topic by the original poster, thankfully...nice input so far .

Bryan in Bryan
El Ropo
Rustler

Postby El Ropo » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:25 am

How about a Kobe Tri tip?

Talk about food pr0n!

http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae286/Pashn8one/IMG_3699.jpg

http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae286/Pashn8one/IMG_3702.jpg

http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae286/Pashn8one/IMG_3722.jpg

If that doesn't give you an idea of the difference between ungraded/select, and better cuts, nothing will!

Not my cook, borrowed from another forum. Heck I couldn't afford that.
Modded Brinkmann Gourmet. Basic UDS. Rescued 22.5" OTS. Weber SJS. Stubbs. B&B Oak Lump.

Cannondale 2009 F8 (for burning off all the great BBQ)
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Best deal on brisket

Postby atcNick » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:39 am

Just some FYI: "angus" and certified angus beef is not the same thing. The first is a breed, the second is a brand. To qualify as certified angus beef (or CAB) it has to be a better quality, I'm not exactly sure of the criteria. I know they're choice or better.

Aaron Franklin, the guy you read about in tx monthly uses Meyer natural beef. I've heard this brand can be found at super target.

What I look for now in a brisket is choice or better AND a limber, flexible brisket. Go through the briskets in the meat case and you will know when you find it.

-Nick
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Lang 84D w/Chargriller SOLD
Weber Performer
22" Weber One Touch Gold Kettle
18" Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Smokey Joe
eltex USER_AVATAR
eltex
Rustler

Postby eltex » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:25 pm

Just stop and check the meat box at HEB whenever you are there. 90% of the time, you just find all select/no-grade beef, but sometimes, the briskets will have some choice/CAB briskets in there, all at the same price. I think I heard that is when a meat packer has to fill an order with HEB, they might run low on selects and just send the next grade, which is usually choice. This is helpful if you visit HEB more than once a month, and if you have a freezer to keep them in when you do score. I haven't discovered a prime yet at HEB, but I have heard it happens from time to time.
scotchale USER_AVATAR
scotchale
Pilgrim

Postby scotchale » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:07 pm

El Ropo wrote:How about a Kobe Tri tip?

Talk about food pr0n!

http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae286/Pashn8one/IMG_3699.jpg

http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae286/Pashn8one/IMG_3702.jpg

http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae286/Pashn8one/IMG_3722.jpg

If that doesn't give you an idea of the difference between ungraded/select, and better cuts, nothing will!

Not my cook, borrowed from another forum. Heck I couldn't afford that.

Wo-ah...now that gives new meaning to "well marbled" !!
BushInternational
Wrangler

Postby BushInternational » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:03 pm

Choice CAB brisket has a lot of fat marbling. How much more if its a prime . Personally i like the Select by Silver Springs packer at Target Supermarket. The butcher said they are from northern cattle ranches in Idaho. Northern places have better grass , more succelent than southern states.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”