smoker design troubles

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

zeroluck
Pilgrim

smoker design troubles

Postby zeroluck » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:48 am

So I'm new to smoking, but have always enjoyed grilling. I've read lots of forums, posts, websites about cheap offset, and the expensive offsets, enough to know I don't want to go cheap. Recently I've given more thoughts to build your own smokers using 55 gallon steel barrels. Kind of freaks me out though cause I can't find a good source locally (zip 48313) that I trust. The fact that these old barrels could contain heavy metals, oils is kind of scary don't want to get sick saving money. I'm getting off subject from my main question which is I read a build guide for a smoker drew my own up in "google sketchup" and I read the article one last time, and it said it's not a charcoal smoker, but a wood burning smoker. I would really appreciate someone taking a look at my design and telling me why charcoal would not be ideal? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The pig head is for looks, and is NOT an offset. 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26198859@N07/6819783016/" target="_blank
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26198859@N07/6819783268/" target="_blank 
I know posting links is discouraged for new poster but you can't see what I'm talking about without seeing a picture. My apologies if I broke a rule
fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Re: smoker design troubles

Postby FR8 Train » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:35 pm

Cool design. I see no reason why you couldn't use charcoal, or lump charcoal with that design. Should work fine. I've seen many pits designed roughly the same way.
"Sic 'em Bears"
zeroluck
Pilgrim

Postby zeroluck » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:19 pm

FR8 Train wrote:Cool design. I see no reason why you couldn't use charcoal, or lump charcoal with that design. Should work fine. I've seen many pits designed roughly the same way.

I saw a smoker calculator on another post I think where I'm going wrong is the stack between the heat, and cook chamber I think I'll need to increase it's size almost 9 times according to the calculator. Also Says heat chamber should be 1/3 the size of the cook chamber. I'm at a 2:1 ratio do you think that will be a problem?
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:20 am

I like the design I see no reason you can't use charcoal Wood IMO is more efficient.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
harvestmoon USER_AVATAR
HarvestMoon
Outlaw

Postby HarvestMoon » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:14 am

BluDawg wrote:I like the design I see no reason you can't use charcoal Wood IMO is more efficient.

Also wood would have less ash.
Modified Landmann Black Dog 42 Grill & Smoker
Weber 22.5" One-Touch Gold & 18.5" WSM
Char-Broil Masterflame 7000
Weber Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill
Rehab is for Quitters
zeroluck
Pilgrim

Postby zeroluck » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:39 am

HarvestMoon wrote:
BluDawg wrote:I like the design I see no reason you can't use charcoal Wood IMO is more efficient.

Also wood would have less ash.

I was going the charcoal route because I thought I read up that wood puts out more creosote for the first half hour of the burn.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”