Master Forge Charcoal Smoker

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

squirving88 USER_AVATAR
squirving88
Pilgrim

Master Forge Charcoal Smoker

Postby squirving88 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:43 pm

Anyone ever heard of or have any experience with one of these? Theyre 59 bucks at lowes. Im thinkin about buyin one for my first smoker.

ecto1 USER_AVATAR
ecto1
Cowboy

Re: Master Forge Charcoal Smoker

Postby ecto1 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:06 pm

Looks like a Brinkman Water smoker it will work you will have to learn how to control temps on it but I have seen people turn out good que on less. How many people do you cook for on a regular basis? This can be a very expensive hobby but does not have to be. For about twice that you can build a UDS no problem. I am just saying once you get hooked you will upgrade.
"Intelligence is something we are born with. BBQ’ing is a skill that must be learned"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Fat-Ash-BBQ/204098269604777
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:04 pm

My first smoker was an ECB. Enough said about that. A UDS can be made real cheap if you can get the barrel for free. IMHO the next best bet is to look for sales (common this time of year) and invest in a WSM.

I can't count the times that folks have ate my Q and wanted to get into smoking meat and bought an ECB. After ruining alot of meat they toss it out and quit. If you can, I'd advise a better unit.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:52 pm

I started on a ECB and what you're contemplating looks better than the ECB. I cooked enough good Q on the ECB to continue and get better equipment. Let me put it this way if you can learn to cook on that thing you will be delighted with a UDS or better.
tarde venientibus ossa....
squirving88 USER_AVATAR
squirving88
Pilgrim

Postby squirving88 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:03 am

I was lookin into getting a uds as well. Theres a guy on craigslist makin em for 100 bucks. They look super nice. I might have to go that direction.
danger831 USER_AVATAR
danger831
Rustler

Postby danger831 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:47 am

you can make a uds really easy and you live in Houston so you can get a new unlined drum as a factory second from the steel barrel manufacturer in Houston for $40. Total build cost could be as cheap as $75 with no frills and takes about 1 hour to build.
shorty69
Pilgrim

Postby shorty69 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:47 pm

I have an even cheaper ECB that I purchased from lowes!! :banghead: I hate that dang thang!!! lol!!!! I does make you work with temps up and down! I have been tempted to put a solid bottom on it and dress it (fix it) like a UDS and see how it will do!!!
VonSkaggs
Pilgrim

Postby VonSkaggs » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:31 pm

The Master Forge Smoker is designed to hold an internal temperature of 200 degrees. This is why they are no vents for airflow. A couple of things that you can do to increase the internal temperature of the smoker WITHOUT MODS are:

1) many people think the water pan is use to keep the meat moist. Not true. The water pan is used to control temperature inside of the smoking chamber. Use less water and do not use cold water in the pan. An explanation of how this works see Regulating Master Forge Smoker Temperature

2) Since there are no vents for airflow, if you do not want to drill holes and make mods, I've found that you can leave a slight gap when putting the lid of the smoker on. Sure, you'll lose some smoke, but this will allow for vertical airflow.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:04 pm

If your buying a UDS off CL make sure the inside of the Drum is bare steel if it is red or tan move on it still has the liner in it don't buy it unless your willing to tear it apart and burn the drum out sand the interior to bare steel and repaint the outside before you use it.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
jayzi USER_AVATAR
jayzi
Rustler

Postby jayzi » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:19 pm

BluDawg wrote:If your buying a UDS off CL make sure the inside of the Drum is bare steel if it is red or tan move on it still has the liner in it don't buy it unless your willing to tear it apart and burn the drum out sand the interior to bare steel and repaint the outside before you use it.

True dat!!! I would be skeptical of a pre built UDS for $100 or less! Beware of the tan or red liner! RUN FROM THE "REDRUM" <----See what I did there??? :laughing7:
Weber 22.5", UDS

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”