Dont know what went wrong

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

squirving88 USER_AVATAR
squirving88
Pilgrim

Dont know what went wrong

Postby squirving88 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:39 am

Delete
Last edited by squirving88 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
ecto1 USER_AVATAR
ecto1
Cowboy

Re: Dont know what went wrong

Postby ecto1 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:10 am

Liquid smoke :box: them fighting words around here. Search chicken on this forum and you will see everything you need to learn the art of yard bird. Just promise me you will never use the fake smoke again.
"Intelligence is something we are born with. BBQ’ing is a skill that must be learned"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Fat-Ash-BBQ/204098269604777
squirving88 USER_AVATAR
squirving88
Pilgrim

Postby squirving88 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:23 pm

LOL I knew that was coming. Thanks :salut:
I only used the liquid smoke for a marinade, to make it more juicy not necessarily for the smoke flavor.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:00 pm

squirving88 wrote:LOL I knew that was coming. Thanks :salut:
I only used the liquid smoke for a marinade, to make it more juicy not necessarily for the smoke flavor.
Somebody Git a Rope!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
ecto1 USER_AVATAR
ecto1
Cowboy

Postby ecto1 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:01 pm

squirving88 wrote:LOL I knew that was coming. Thanks :salut:

We need to teach you about brine....
"Intelligence is something we are born with. BBQ’ing is a skill that must be learned"

danger831 USER_AVATAR
danger831
Rustler

Postby danger831 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:32 pm

I really thought it was a joke when I started reading it. I have never even heard of injecting or marinating in pure liquid smoke. Now I curios what you used for rub. I think you must have a probe problem chicken don't get dry unless it is over cooked what kind of grill are you cooking on?
squirving88 USER_AVATAR
squirving88
Pilgrim

Postby squirving88 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:02 pm

danger831 wrote:I really thought it was a joke when I started reading it. I have never even heard of injecting or marinating in pure liquid smoke. Now I curios what you used for rub. I think you must have a probe problem chicken don't get dry unless it is over cooked what kind of grill are you cooking on?

Well Im new to this, and the bottle of that stuff says you can marinade with it so I did. I used those little plastic bbq injectors they sell at Academy. I mean it didnt give it a bad taste or anything. But I am looking into learing about Brine and homeade marinades. Im learning guys!! :whiteflag:
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:08 pm

squirving88 wrote:
danger831 wrote:I really thought it was a joke when I started reading it. I have never even heard of injecting or marinating in pure liquid smoke. Now I curios what you used for rub. I think you must have a probe problem chicken don't get dry unless it is over cooked what kind of grill are you cooking on?

Well Im new to this, and the bottle of that stuff says you can marinade with it so I did. I used those little plastic bbq injectors they sell at Academy. I mean it didnt give it a bad taste or anything. But I am looking into learing about Brine and homeade marinades. Im learning guys!! :whiteflag:

For a beginning brine, try using Alton Browns Orange brine......its a very.good one and is a great starting point....You can add , subract from it to make it yours....please don't use liquid smoke for anything, its a very strong and overpowering element that is not used very much....
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
ecto1 USER_AVATAR
ecto1
Cowboy

Postby ecto1 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:08 pm

Dude what part of Houston you in you could come out when we have a comp and talk BBQ whenever you want.

eltex USER_AVATAR
eltex
Rustler

Postby eltex » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:49 pm

Years ago, when I first started smoking poultry, I found a brine recipe, called CHEZ PANISSE'S Turkey Brine. It works very well, and though a couple of ingredients might not be in your pantry, as long as you get the salt and the water part, you will be covered. However, you said you grilled your chicken for 4hrs. I use my smoker, and the main grilling area where my chicken is usually 180-230 degrees, depending on location. My chicken quarters are usually done in about 2hrs, not sure why it would take 4+ for your half chickens. If my chickens are cooking a bit fast and the skin gets brown/crunchy too quickly, I wrap them in foil, and move away from the fire a little more to slow them down. It always works for me.

Good luck.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:08 pm

Here is the recipe:
0 Reviews Prep Time: 15 mins Total Time: 12 hrs 15 mins Serves: 10-20, Yield: 12-16 pound turkey About This Recipe
"Makes enough brine for a 12- to 16-pound turkey A basic brine is water and salt, and often sugar. But the extra ingredients in this recipe from the famed Chez Panisse restaurant in Berkeley will add flavor to the stuffing and gravy if it's made with the drippings. However, there won't be a distinct flavor difference in the turkey meat itself. The sugar, however, will promote browning, so if the bird is getting too dark during roasting, you can tent it with some foil."
Ingredients
2 1/2 gallons cold water 1 1/2-1 3/4 cups kosher salt 1 cup granulated sugar 2 bay leaves 1 bunch fresh thyme ( or 1/4 cup dried) 1 whole heads of garlic, cloves separated and peeled 5 whole crushed allspice berries 4 juniper berries, smashed Directions
Add the cold water, salt and sugar to a large food-grade container; stir until the salt and sugar have dissolved. Add the bay leaves, thyme, garlic, allspice and juniper berries.
If there's enough room in your fridge, place the turkey in a large stockpot (stainless steel, not aluminum, because the salt could cause pitting) or a food-grade bucket (available at some bakeries and restaurants for a nominal charge). You can also use a plastic oven-roasting bag (be sure to double or triple them since they can break), XXL Ziploc bag or special turkey-roasting bag, sold at gourmet stores.
Pour in enough brine so all the bird is covered. (If using a bag, pressing out extra air makes this easier. Seal the bag securely with kitchen twine or the plastic tab seals that come with the bags. Set the bag in a wide bowl or a roasting pan to stabilize the bird and catch any leaks.) Refrigerate on the bottom shelf of your fridge for 12 to 24 hours but no more; it can get mushy if left longer.
If the fridge isn't an option, use a picnic cooler to hold the bird-in-a-bag. Surround it with ice or freezer packs, and remind yourself to check on it frequently, because the temperature inside the container needs to be below 40 degrees the whole time (use a refrigerator or instant-read thermometer). When you're ready to roast the turkey, remove it from the brine and rinse it well inside and out with cool water. Use a mild bleach solution (1 teaspoon bleach to 1 quart water) to clean your sink and counters afterward to prevent cross-contamination of bacteria.

Page 2 of 2Chez Panisse Turkey Brine (cont.)
Directions (cont.)
The brine will do most of the seasoning, so don't salt the turkey after brining; also don't add salt to your stuffing if you plan to put it inside the bird. Some of the salt from the brine remains in the cavity and can season the stuffing. To be safe, some cooks recommend baking the stuffing separately.
Ditto for the gravy: You can make gravy using the drippings, but don't add any salt until you taste it first. You will probably need little or none. If you need to extend the gravy with chicken broth, only use low-sodium or unsalted broth or the gravy could become too salty. Or just add water.
Watch your timing because a brined turkey cooks faster than a nonbrined one by about 30 minutes. Use a meat or instant-read thermometer to determine when it's properly cooked Note: The calories and other nutrients absorbed from brines vary and are difficult to estimate.
tarde venientibus ossa....
danger831 USER_AVATAR
danger831
Rustler

Postby danger831 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:35 pm

squirving88 wrote:

I'm just Rib-in you I love to encourage new people to pick up bbqing I'll send you a good injection and a brine tomorrow for being a good sport.I also live in Houston and am on the Pasadena cook off comity it's just around the corner you should come out and see what it's all about.you can pick up some good tips from some of the cooks.
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:39 pm

check your thermometer for accuracy is the first thing I would do. If the breast were dry and only 150 degrees they were way overcooked.
squirving88 USER_AVATAR
squirving88
Pilgrim

Postby squirving88 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:13 am

Lots of good info here. Thanks a lot fellas 8)
kenlude97 USER_AVATAR
KENLUDE97
Pilgrim

Postby KENLUDE97 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:44 pm

I've had GREAT results with "beer can" style whole chickens. I don't use beer (as there is rarely any in the house, i use a BBQ sauce, water, spiced to taste)

Brine (over night)
Rub it down
On the Smoker for about 2-3hrs

It always turns out Juicy and full of flavor. The next time i try chickens i want to cut it in half and try it without the can to see if i can get more of a smoke flavor in the meat. Smoked Chicken is a GREAT addition to a Salad!

GL

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”