Howdy from Magnolia, TX

Where 'ya from? Whadda 'ya cook on? Tell us a little about yourself. Is there a bounty on your head?

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

95sportster USER_AVATAR
95sportster
Pilgrim

Howdy from Magnolia, TX

Postby 95sportster » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:05 pm

Smokin' my first brisket today....about a 12lbr. So far so good. I found a Dragon Smoker (made in Beaumont TX...anybody heard of 'em?) 'bout 40"X15" with offset firebox at 19"X15 on Craigslist for a good price, so figured it was about time. Been wantin' to start smokin some meats for a while now, just wanted a good smoker with payin' out the nose for it. I've had it sittin' right around 225 degrees with very little fluctuation except it flarin' up when I add a stick or two. Hopefully it turns out good. Thanks to all who have contributed to the recipe section, I have learned a lot about cookin' brisket from reading through the different posts! Time for another Miller Lite!

Ron
95sportster

Smokin' Dragon 40"X18" with a 20"X18" FB...finally!
txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Re: Howdy from Magnolia, TX

Postby txngent » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:42 pm

Welcome 95Sportster! Watch the smoke over Magnolia way... hear they are writing tickets with no warning on that burning ban stuff.
One Backwoods Fatboy, One Traeger Texas Grill, just looking for a trailer!
Randy
harvestmoon USER_AVATAR
HarvestMoon
Outlaw

Postby HarvestMoon » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:20 pm

Welcome! I have heard of Dragon Products and know they might build an occasional pit, but, they are mainly fabricate stuff for the oil drilling industry.
Modified Landmann Black Dog 42 Grill & Smoker
Weber 22.5" One-Touch Gold & 18.5" WSM
Char-Broil Masterflame 7000
Weber Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill
Rehab is for Quitters
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:32 pm

Welcome to the Forum, great folks here. The last time I was in Magnolia, I had to bail my buddy outa the Conroe Jail. Locals there used to be notorious.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
95sportster USER_AVATAR
95sportster
Pilgrim

Postby 95sportster » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:32 pm

Thanks for the welcomes! Finally done, lettin' her rest...shut the smoke stack down with no johnny laws breakin' up the party. So txngent, is that a Harley fatboy or some kinda smoker I ain't heard of yet?
My buddy that helped me go pick the pit up knew that Dragon was mainly oil field equipment, but apparently they make a decent pit too! 1/4" steel throughout and held the temp steady all day, so I was pleased. Next time I should be able to relax a little more.
Old used parts, sorry to hear 'bout the bad experience Magnolia way. I had a buddy ended up in Conroe jail not too long ago myself...of course his ?$$ proly deserved a night in the tank!
95sportster

chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:10 pm

Welcome to the forum. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:16 pm

Welcome to the forum Ron glad ya found us...
tarde venientibus ossa....
txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Postby txngent » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:32 pm

95sportster wrote:So txngent, is that a Harley fatboy or some kinda smoker I ain't heard of yet?

It's a Backwoods Smoker. BBQ is too expensive of a hobby... my wife would kill me if I strolled up on a Hog (Harley)... she would actually just see it as normal if I strolled up on a hog.... I prefer the Hampshire or Bluebutt model. 8)
Randy
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:32 am

95sportster wrote:Old used parts, sorry to hear 'bout the bad experience Magnolia way. I had a buddy ended up in Conroe jail not too long ago myself...of course his ?$$ proly deserved a night in the tank!

My Bud deserved his ?$$ busting also - - - - we were in a band together and besides having had too many he also had a temporary brain phart at 2am downtown Magnolia. Sure did turn into a long night for me tho.

How'd the "Q" turn out?
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
95sportster USER_AVATAR
95sportster
Pilgrim

Postby 95sportster » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:56 am

OldUsedParts wrote:[How'd the "Q" turn out?

Not bad for the first attempt. Guess I owe it all to the members here. I kept it simple, just rubbed with a mix I found here and stuck it on the smoke. Had couple neighbors liked it and the kids said it was better than my dad's....Had a really nice bark, I thought the smoke ring was kinda small, but it had a good flavor and everybody had seconds! Sat around and played poker way too late last night though!
95sportster

95sportster USER_AVATAR
95sportster
Pilgrim

Postby 95sportster » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:02 pm

my wife would kill me if I strolled up on a Hog (Harley)... she would actually just see it as normal if I strolled up on a hog.... I prefer the Hampshire or Bluebutt model. 8)[/quote]

LOL! Man you must be way out in the woods 'round Conroe! I'm guessing Cut-n-Shoot or Grangerland area? Shoot, you might even be related to some of my buddies' family out that way!

Ready to try smokin' a Hampshire or Bluebutt model, but think I'll keep ridin' the Sportster for now!
95sportster

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:14 pm

95sportster wrote:Had couple neighbors liked it and the kids said it was better than my dad's....Had a really nice bark, I thought the smoke ring was kinda small, but it had a good flavor and everybody had seconds! Sat around and played poker way too late last night though!

If the kiddos liked it and some had seconds then it
sounds to me like you "Smoked It" (slang pun intended)
txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Postby txngent » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:30 pm

95sportster wrote: I'm guessing Cut-n-Shoot or Grangerland area?
Give that man a cigar! Grangerland for the last 10 years. Tomball before that for 30 years. Lots of friends all over your neck of the woods. I told the wife I am going to move only one more time so we are looking at maybe a little more north... like New Waverly.
Randy
95sportster USER_AVATAR
95sportster
Pilgrim

Postby 95sportster » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:02 pm

[quote] Grangerland for the last 10 years

Yep, anybody riding a hog...but not a harley, from the Conroe area, ain't livin' it up in downtown Conroe! Get too many strange looks from all them city folks! :shock: I reckon it's nuttin' special out in Grangerland though!

I hear there's a few good red heads make for pretty good ridin' out in Grangerland too! :wink: Course I wouldn't know since I been happily hitched for the past decade+....
95sportster

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:08 am

Small world, I was raised in Cleveland and when I was
growing up we had to go towards Conroe to have any fun.

Return to “WANTED POSTERS - New Member Introductions”