Bigwheel's Belly Maynard Memorial Grand Prize Winning Chili

Salads, slaws, veggies, chili, soup, anything you serve with a meal.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:55 am

Bigwheel's Belly Maynard Memorial Grand Prize Winning Chili (Rev 6/30/07)

3 lb chub of 80/20 fine grind beef chuck
1 lb. Jimmy Dean Regular Sausage
3 T. Crisco
2 dried Casabel Peppas
2 dried Pascilla (sic) Peppas
2 T. Foat Wuth Light Chili Powder(Penderys)
1 T. Terlingua Won Chili Powder(Penderys)
1 T. Rio Tejas Chili Powder(Penderys)
2 T. Granulated Onyawn
1 1/2 T. Granulated Garlic
1 T. Minor's Beef Base
2 quarts water* (approximate..use just enough to cover the meat by about an inch)
1 t. Knorr chicken bullion
1 7 oz can Kroger brand hot Mexican Tomater sauce
1 packet Goya Sazon
1 t. brown sugar
2 T. ground cumin
Lawrys Seasoning salt and black peppa to taste

Deseed the dried peppas break apart and rehydrate in two pints water for 10 mins and run through the blender on the liquify setting. Pour it up into a fruit jar with a lid and keep it cold till you get ready to cook. Combine the chuck and the sausage by squishing it together as if making a meat loaf and form into large meat balls weighing about a pound each. Brown off the meatballs in about 3 T. of Crisco in a big stew pot..giving them an occasional gentle flip so they cook on all sides. Once they get grayed on the outside cut em half in two and let me cook flat side down for a bit more. Drain the grease. Add the dried peppa puree..and the other stuff except the Rio Tejas and the Cumin. Keep on breaking the meatballs apart with a spoon till it gets to the consistency you like. Last 30 mins add the cumin and the Rio Tejas. Dust lightly with the black peppa and recheck the salt level all along the way till it gets right.

bigwheel
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:52 am

bigwheel wrote:Bigwheel's Belly Maynard Memorial Grand Prize Winning Chili (Rev 6/30/07)

3 lb chub of 80/20 fine grind beef chuck
1 lb. Jimmy Dean Regular Sausage
3 T. Crisco
2 dried Casabel Peppas
2 dried Pascilla (sic) Peppas
2 T. Foat Wuth Light Chili Powder(Penderys)
1 T. Terlingua Won Chili Powder(Penderys)
1 T. Rio Tejas Chili Powder(Penderys)
2 T. Granulated Onyawn
1 1/2 T. Granulated Garlic
1 T. Minor's Beef Base
2 quarts water* (approximate..use just enough to cover the meat by about an inch)
1 t. Knorr chicken bullion
1 7 oz can Kroger brand hot Mexican Tomater sauce
1 packet Goya Sazon
1 t. brown sugar
2 T. ground cumin
Lawrys Seasoning salt and black peppa to taste

Deseed the dried peppas break apart and rehydrate in two pints water for 10 mins and run through the blender on the liquify setting. Pour it up into a fruit jar with a lid and keep it cold till you get ready to cook. Combine the chuck and the sausage by squishing it together as if making a meat loaf and form into large meat balls weighing about a pound each. Brown off the meatballs in about 3 T. of Crisco in a big stew pot..giving them an occasional gentle flip so they cook on all sides. Once they get grayed on the outside cut em half in two and let me cook flat side down for a bit more. Drain the grease. Add the dried peppa puree..and the other stuff except the Rio Tejas and the Cumin. Keep on breaking the meatballs apart with a spoon till it gets to the consistency you like. Last 30 mins add the cumin and the Rio Tejas. Dust lightly with the black peppa and recheck the salt level all along the way till it gets right.

bigwheel

BW,
For all your talkin' hick like and such, you shore have some fancy ingredients in your pantry! :P I ain't never heard of most of them fancy ingredients!
Laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:57 pm

Well...you have bumped into whut is commonly called "uptown folks" which is clearly different from "downtown folks." Uptown folks got all kinds of exotic stuff in the pantry. Downtown folks roast piegons on sticks over fires in the corner trash can:) All kiddding aside..lot of this stuff can be fairly readily subbed for...cept the chili powders. If you want to make world class chili you need to make friends with a place called Penderys. They have world class products and service. Just the ticket for upscale Chef's such as yourself.

http://www.penderys.com

bigwheel
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:25 pm

I saved this recipe. :D If it ever cools off alittle down here I'm going to make a batch. :D :D
Jim
xxfubarxx
Rustler

Postby xxfubarxx » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:00 am

Ok this is twice I've seen something about the pasilla pepper in a week. Being from Texas I thought I knew about all peppers. Or atleast most of them. From what I understand it's a slightly hot pepper that has good flavor. 2500 on the scoville (however you spell it) scale. So it taste good but doesn't burn you up. Yet I have never seen it in any stores or I just didn't look for it. I was looking for a recipe for the Pappasitos rub on their ribs and found a recipe that called for a pailla pepper. Anyone have any info on it ? K just looked down 2 threads and found out it's a poblano pepper. If their info is right....had to edit this.
rich777 USER_AVATAR
Rich777
Chuck Wagon

Postby Rich777 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:59 pm

That's a keeper bigwheel, thanks for sharing.
a stumpted toe hurts
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:20 pm

xxfubarxx wrote:Ok this is twice I've seen something about the pasilla pepper in a week. Being from Texas I thought I knew about all peppers. Or atleast most of them. From what I understand it's a slightly hot pepper that has good flavor. 2500 on the scoville (however you spell it) scale. So it taste good but doesn't burn you up. Yet I have never seen it in any stores or I just didn't look for it. I was looking for a recipe for the Pappasitos rub on their ribs and found a recipe that called for a pailla pepper. Anyone have any info on it ? K just looked down 2 threads and found out it's a poblano pepper. If their info is right....had to edit this.

Sorry to mislead you the pasilla isn't really the same as a pablano (actually ancho for this application) but is very similar. Anchos are called pasillas in California and they are used interchangeably. Check your local Mexican grocery store for them I also have seen them in bulk bins in Walmart where there is a high Latino population. Pendry's probably has them as well.
tarde venientibus ossa....
dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Postby DaHorns » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:12 pm

Where are the beans? :wink:
Yellow Dog BBQ Team
Gator Predator
When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:27 pm

Im with you Horns. I was raised on browned up hamburger meat onyawns..bell peppas..tomaters or sauce..garlic if you had some..leftover pintos and chili powder (Eagle brand of course which is now Gebhardts I think). I can still eat my own body weight of that stuff..but we never did call it chili. It was called goulash. Wonder whut was up on that deal? Now everybody know real chili only come from the can marked Wolf Brand..or a greasy block of brick shape stuff which didnt require much refrigeration if any.

bigwheel
sharkie USER_AVATAR
Sharkie
Rustler

Re: Bigwheel's Belly Maynard Memorial Grand Prize Winning Chili

Postby Sharkie » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:35 pm

Oh Man this is gonna be delicious I can tell. Now I have to pay a visit to Penderys. Thanks for the link. Can not wait to taste this Chili :)

Return to “Sides and Such”