Whole Hog

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

User avatar
smokin
Pilgrim
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:07 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Whole Hog

Postby smokin » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:53 pm

Hi guys, I'm just a typical backyard BBQer. I've smoked ribs, brisket,chicken and some other stuff. I've got a whole hog thats about 8 lbs. and was thinking about smoking it whole. Do I need to do anything different than usual? How long should it take at about 200 - 225 and would that be the best temp.? I'll have more questions for you pros later.

Thanks
COMFORTABLY NUMB
User avatar
Dallas
Rustler
Posts: 187
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:04 am
Location: Hudson, OH
Contact:

Postby Dallas » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:57 pm

What type of cooker are you cooking it on Smokin? Are you planning on injecting the hams? Also might want to consider a mop type baste to keep it moist.
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
User avatar
Big Mike
Cowboy
Posts: 418
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:17 pm
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Whole Hog

Postby Big Mike » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:08 pm

smokin wrote:Hi guys, I'm just a typical backyard BBQer. I've smoked ribs, brisket,chicken and some other stuff. I've got a whole hog thats about 8 lbs. and was thinking about smoking it whole. Do I need to do anything different than usual? How long should it take at about 200 - 225 and would that be the best temp.? I'll have more questions for you pros later.

Thanks


Is that supposed to be 80lbs? 8lbs sure is a small hog. :D
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
User avatar
Dallas
Rustler
Posts: 187
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:04 am
Location: Hudson, OH
Contact:

Postby Dallas » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:11 pm

That was my thought too but I saw a guy on the Home Channel last week cooking one on his gas grill on a rotisserie. Couldn't have been much bigger than 8 lbs if that.
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Bill
Rustler
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:19 am
Contact:

Postby Bill » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:29 pm

Dallas wrote:That was my thought too but I saw a guy on the Home Channel last week cooking one on his gas grill on a rotisserie. Couldn't have been much bigger than 8 lbs if that.

Was that on "License to Grill" that's filmed in Canada? I saw it. Tiny little thing that was. :lol:
User avatar
smokin
Pilgrim
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:07 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Postby smokin » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:33 pm

Dallas wrote:What type of cooker are you cooking it on Smokin? Are you planning on injecting the hams? Also might want to consider a mop type baste to keep it moist.


Just the typical smoker with a seperate firebox on it.
COMFORTABLY NUMB
User avatar
smokin
Pilgrim
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:07 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Whole Hog

Postby smokin » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:35 pm

Big Mike wrote:
smokin wrote:Hi guys, I'm just a typical backyard BBQer. I've smoked ribs, brisket,chicken and some other stuff. I've got a whole hog thats about 8 lbs. and was thinking about smoking it whole. Do I need to do anything different than usual? How long should it take at about 200 - 225 and would that be the best temp.? I'll have more questions for you pros later.

Thanks


Is that supposed to be 80lbs? 8lbs sure is a small hog. :D


Nope, 8 lbs. I got a couple of bigger ones and quartered them up but was gonna smoke this one whole.
COMFORTABLY NUMB
User avatar
Gator
Sheriff
Posts: 6578
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:53 pm
Location: Coppell, TX
Contact:

Postby Gator » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:31 pm

smokin,

Did that pig still have stripes and a milk ring around its mouth?
:lol:
User avatar
smokin
Pilgrim
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:07 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Postby smokin » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:54 pm

Not that I saw, it was bigger than 8 live, Would'nt matter though...if they get in the trap with the big ones the smaller ones get eaten too.
COMFORTABLY NUMB
User avatar
DATsBBQ
Deputy
Posts: 7948
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:15 am
Location: Yorktown, VA
Contact:

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:15 pm

smokin wrote:Not that I saw, it was bigger than 8 live, Would'nt matter though...if they get in the trap with the big ones the smaller ones get eaten too.


Post a pic of the trap. I interested in the contraption looks like. :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
User avatar
Big Mike
Cowboy
Posts: 418
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:17 pm
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Contact:

Postby Big Mike » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:24 pm

Honestly, I am not sure how long that would take to cook. Since the whole pig is only 8lbs, I'm thinking maybe 8 hours or so.
Mike



Eagle River BBQ
User avatar
Dsorgnzd
Pilgrim
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:02 pm
Location: Clemmons, NC
Contact:

Postby Dsorgnzd » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:08 pm

If it's that small, put it on a stick, dip it in batter, and deep fry it like a corn dog. :)
"The race is not always to the swift, nor the contest to the strong." (But that's how the smart money bets.)
User avatar
Gator
Sheriff
Posts: 6578
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:53 pm
Location: Coppell, TX
Contact:

Postby Gator » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:20 pm

The little piggies are sure to taste better than a big 'ole stinky bore! No worries smokin.

Gator
User avatar
DATsBBQ
Deputy
Posts: 7948
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:15 am
Location: Yorktown, VA
Contact:

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:19 pm

Dsorgnzd wrote:If it's that small, put it on a stick, dip it in batter, and deep fry it like a corn dog. :)


What if a guy treated it like a turkey and fried it in one of those turkey fryer machines? Might want to use lard instead of peanut oil. Just thinking outloud.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
User avatar
Dallas
Rustler
Posts: 187
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:04 am
Location: Hudson, OH
Contact:

Postby Dallas » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:02 am

That sounds almost as decadent as that country fried bacon with the white cream gravy on top! For an eight pound pig it should definitely work! :D
Smoke 'em if you got 'em

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JustinCouch and 3 guests