Butcher's QUESTION

Announcements, Roll Call and Results for ALL Competitions and Events.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txlnghrn USER_AVATAR
TXLNGHRN
Cowboy

Butcher's QUESTION

Postby TXLNGHRN » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:21 pm

So I think I might have started something on another site, so I thought I'd see what this one gets.....
Is every one who's using Butcher's products, win in brisket? Is that the only way to win is to inject your brisket with this?
All I keep reading is this stuff is winning everything. I'm sure it's a fine product. In my first comp the top 5 brisket had a strong beef bouillon taste, Or as they put it "A Robust Beef Flavor"
I just don't get it.
Can some one explain to me what the deal is? Preferably a non biased response.

Thanks
TJ
harry verdurchi USER_AVATAR
Harry Verdurchi
Rustler

Re: Butcher's QUESTION

Postby Harry Verdurchi » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:42 pm

Doubt you will get any unbiased response here since He is one of the Advertisers here Personally I never used any injections except on my Diesels and a few Cars. If you want to win at some cook- offs you got to bribe the judges . :lol:
Last edited by Harry Verdurchi on Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I got First Place in Every Cook Off I ever Entered.
But the Judges most of the Time Gave the Prizes to Someone Else
pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Postby Pony Express » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:54 pm

Harry Verdurchi wrote:Doubt you will get any unbiased response here since He is one of the Advertisers here Personally I never used any injections except on my Diesels and a few Cars. If you want to win at some cook- offs you got to bribe the judges .

Thats a bunch of BS Harry,

No ! many brisket winners do not inject.
Charmglo gasser,
New Braunfels offset smoker
Custom trailer pit offset smoker

Git-er done
GIG EM
Harry Verdurchi
Rustler

Postby Harry Verdurchi » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:01 pm

Pony Express wrote:
Harry Verdurchi wrote:Doubt you will get any unbiased response here since He is one of the Advertisers here Personally I never used any injections except on my Diesels and a few Cars. If you want to win at some cook- offs you got to bribe the judges .

Thats a bunch of BS Harry,

No ! many brisket winners do not inject.

Yepper he done started something here too.!

I don't condone injection of any meats except for curing hams . I was jkn about the Judgeing (I said Some Cook-offs ) din't you see the smiley face thing?
I back and support ALL the Advertisers here is what I wanted to impart .
pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Postby Pony Express » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:05 pm

my apologizes Harry
I did not at all read it that way.

Didn't notice the smiley face on your post so thought your were being serious
Charmglo gasser,
New Braunfels offset smoker
Custom trailer pit offset smoker

Git-er done
GIG EM
Harry Verdurchi
Rustler

Postby Harry Verdurchi » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:12 pm

Pony Express wrote:my apologizes Harry
I did not at all read it that way.

Didn't see a smiley face on your post either so thought your were being serious

No problem friend ,this site is for Friends not Foes . My Smiley did not show up first time anyways . Bunch of Good peoples here.
gomeat USER_AVATAR
Gomeat
Cowboy

Postby Gomeat » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:20 pm

To get back on subject. . .before I started using Butcher BBQ injection I never had a brisket finish in the top ten anywhere.

The very first contest where I used Butcher BBQ for beef and Prime Dust according to the instructions I got a 9th place out of 83 teams, stiff competition. It does produce a very rich "roast beef" flavor.

I don't use it when I cook brisket for personal use, I don't want my briskie to taste like roast beef. I don't use it when I cook brisket for parties or large groups, too much trouble.

But in competition the first thing you learn is you're not cooking for yourself, you're cooking for the judges. They will take one or maybe two bites and judge your product. You've got to hit 'em right between the eyes with a lot of rich, robust flavor. It's that simple.
http://timstailgatebbqteam.com/
Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/page ... 4626257902" target="_blank
Hasty Bake Fiesta & Hastings
Klose Smoker
"Acta Non Verba; In Incendia Verum"
woody wood USER_AVATAR
Woody Wood
Bandolero

Postby Woody Wood » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:28 am

Gomeat wrote:To get back on subject. . .before I started using Butcher BBQ injection I never had a brisket finish in the top ten anywhere.

The very first contest where I used Butcher BBQ for beef and Prime Dust according to the instructions I got a 9th place out of 83 teams, stiff competition. It does produce a very rich "roast beef" flavor.

I don't use it when I cook brisket for personal use, I don't want my briskie to taste like roast beef. I don't use it when I cook brisket for parties or large groups, too much trouble.

But in competition the first thing you learn is you're not cooking for yourself, you're cooking for the judges. They will take one or maybe two bites and judge your product. You've got to hit 'em right between the eyes with a lot of rich, robust flavor. It's that simple.

:mrgreen: couldnt have said it any better
El Rey Smokers
Traeger
Big Green Egg
MeatChurch BBQ
Oakridge BBQ
Backwoods Spirits

3 Woody's BBQ
bluz USER_AVATAR
Bluz
Outlaw

Postby Bluz » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:03 am

Def agree with the above statement. Now you can look back at the BBQ Associations, winners and you will see Carol Ritters name there, many times, and I know for a fact that several of her wins in Briskets are not injected , so Pony you are right, not a requirement for a win, but judging from the numbers of winners injecting, much better odds.
Bluz

Bluz Q and Custom Cooking
Custom Trailer Pit(Mattie)
Weber Grill
Amana Gas Grill
Weber 22" WSM
zilla USER_AVATAR
Zilla
Rustler

Postby Zilla » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:25 am

As time goes on it's going to become more of a necessity to enhance the flavor profile of all meats in Comp BBQ, whether from brining, marinating, or injecting. The more folks use enhancements in a tasteful and moderate way at a given competition the more it will leave all the rest of the unenhanced entries tasting a bit bland in comparison. A person could make a stand on some ideological ground and say "I refuse to use injection on comp meat" but they will be throwing their money away as they are no longer being competitive. When I'm dropping $200.00 to $500.00 for expenses per competition I'm going to do what ever I have to so that I can increase the chances of bringing home some of the prize money. It's become a necessity to put yourself on a level playing field with the cooks that use meat enhancement techniques.

I personally think that the practice should be banned from comp BBQ across the board. The use of these products in BBQ greatly decreases the margin for error and in my opinion closes the gap artificially between an average cooker and a great cooker. To me the flavors produced are not traditional. If we could eliminate enhanced meats today, and let the cooks rely solely on the skill of the cook, I bet the BBQ rankings across the country in the coming year would look much different than they do now! This however is just one mans opinion.
Last edited by Zilla on Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Harry Verdurchi
Rustler

Postby Harry Verdurchi » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:23 am

I totally agree with ya Zilla .
BAR "G" BBQ
Outlaw

Postby BAR "G" BBQ » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:15 am

Harry Verdurchi wrote:I totally agree with ya Zilla .

I will second that; very well put Zilla.
BAR "G"
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:11 pm

BAR "G" BBQ wrote:
Harry Verdurchi wrote:I totally agree with ya Zilla .

I will second that; very well put Zilla.

Congrats my big brutha! :lol: This time you saved me from a lot of typing!!!...Can we plaese stop using all sauces and glazes too? :wink: :lol: :lol:
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
gomeat USER_AVATAR
Gomeat
Cowboy

Postby Gomeat » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:45 pm

Right on Zilla!!!
http://timstailgatebbqteam.com/
Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/page ... 4626257902" target="_blank
Hasty Bake Fiesta & Hastings
Klose Smoker
"Acta Non Verba; In Incendia Verum"
mgwerks USER_AVATAR
mgwerks
Bandolero

Postby mgwerks » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:50 pm

Zilla wrote:As time goes on it's going to become more of a necessity to enhance the flavor profile of all meats in Comp BBQ, whether from brining, marinating, or injecting. The more folks use enhancements in a tasteful and moderate way at a given competition the more it will leave all the rest of the unenhanced entries tasting a bit bland in comparison. A person could make a stand on some ideological ground and say "I refuse to use injection on comp meat" but they will be throwing their money away as they are no longer being competitive. When I'm dropping $200.00 to $500.00 for expenses per competition I'm going to do what ever I have to so that I can increase the chances of bringing home some of the prize money. It's become a necessity to put yourself on a level playing field with the cooks that use meat enhancement techniques.

I personally think that the practice should be banned from comp BBQ across the board. The use of these products in BBQ greatly decreases the margin for error and in my opinion closes the gap artificially between an average cooker and a great cooker. To me the flavors produced are not traditional. If we could eliminate enhanced meats today, and let the cooks rely solely on the skill of the cook, I bet the BBQ rankings across the country in the coming year would look much different than they do now! This however is just one mans opinion.

I wholly agree and think that the same ought to apply to garnish as well.
Visit my Cooking Blog.

The Armada:
22.5" WSM
MES 30" shorty
42"x24" & 36"x16" stick burners
1966 CharBroil charcoal grill
Weber 18 1/2" Silver
Sam's 32-inch Stainless gas grill (it was free!)

Return to “Cookoff Announcements and Results”