Need a TX Made BBQ Pit

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

JoeG
Pilgrim

Need a TX Made BBQ Pit

Postby JoeG » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:20 am

Hello All, my name is Joe and I am in on business for the next 3 weeks. I am in Houston, well staying just outside in the Woodlands. I live in AZ and would like to buy a good backyard smoker to have sent home. It is very hard to find any quality smokers in AZ and what better place than TX to buy one. I saw the thread with different Pitt makers posted and I can not research them all. I did however see the Oklahoma Joes smoker at Academy that was pretty decent....Any input on the 20 inch OK Joes?

Academy also had a local pit mfg Old Country BBQ Smokers. http://www.bbquepits.com/backyard_bbq_pits.htm
Was wondering if anyone had any experience with these pits? Or any other recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks!
mgwerks USER_AVATAR
mgwerks
Bandolero

Re: Need a TX Made BBQ Pit

Postby mgwerks » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:27 am

You might look at Klose, but end up at Gatorpit. Both in Houston.
Visit my Cooking Blog.

The Armada:
22.5" WSM
MES 30" shorty
42"x24" & 36"x16" stick burners
1966 CharBroil charcoal grill
Weber 18 1/2" Silver
Sam's 32-inch Stainless gas grill (it was free!)
JoeG
Pilgrim

Postby JoeG » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:40 am

I was reading on the Gator Pit website last night. How are they? Pretty good pitts? I am fairly new to smoking meats..mostly smoke ribs and chicken but I would like to get a good side smoker so that I can get a brisket or pork shoulder on there.
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:55 am

JoeG wrote:I was reading on the Gator Pit website last night. How are they? Pretty good pitts? I am fairly new to smoking meats..mostly smoke ribs and chicken but I would like to get a good side smoker so that I can get a brisket or pork shoulder on there.

Hi Joe - what kind of budget do you have? I have a Gator and LOVE it, but they are pricey. Give us how much you are looking to spend and we can better direct you. If you have the money to spend, you will not be disappointed with a Gator or Klose (both custom built in Houston) or pits of their caliber. It all comes down to the almighty $$$. These pits are built to last a lifetime

Also, the Old Country pits at Academy are not the same quality as the custom pits built by Old Country. It's the same company, but the materials used are much more lightweight for the Academy variety. You might get 6 or 7 years out of it, but that's it.

tex :texas:
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
JoeG
Pilgrim

Postby JoeG » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:36 pm

Thanks for the input. I gues my budget is about 6-700 bucks. I would like to stay around there for a pretty good pit. I liked the Old Country Pit because it has the smoke stack down to the grate and a built in heat shield/smoke baffel or so it looked. Again new to smoking but I have read the extended smoke stack keeps smoke in chamber longer and heat shield helps even out temp...right?
BAR "G" BBQ
Outlaw

Postby BAR "G" BBQ » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:50 pm

Joe,
Check out Gator Pits back yard line of pits and determine what would best suit your needs; then give Ritch a call 713-896-0144. Ritch will work with you in regards to additional or reduced options as well as price. They build an excellent smoker that will last a life time.
BAR "G"
meat USER_AVATAR
MEAT
Rustler

Postby MEAT » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:31 pm

Don't forget about Pits by JJ...just bought a 20"x30" smoker and it works great.
You're going to have to spend a little bit more then you want.
But for something good...they're worth the price.
http://pitsbyjj.com/
20"x30" custom made pit/smoker by JJ
SteveC
Pilgrim

Postby SteveC » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:01 pm

Hi Joe,

For your price range, I think the Old Country pits at Academy for $500 would do the trick.

For you and other forum members (I'm new here), does anyone have first-hand info on Texas Best Pit in Uvalde?

http://www.texassmoker.org/index.htm

Their pits look pretty well built, and they are priced really well. This is another one you might consider, Joe. Although the shipping costs are going to be a killer.

Any info would be appreciated.

Steve C.
Brownsville, TX
harvestmoon USER_AVATAR
HarvestMoon
Outlaw

Postby HarvestMoon » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:01 pm

In your price range, I would get:

$400 -- 22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain smoker
16 -- Weber Chimney Starter
96 -- Super-Fast Thermapen - Instant Read Thermometer
48 -- Maverick Industries ET-73 Maverick RediChek Remote Wireless Smoker Thermometer

Which is about $560 and all of this you can get on Amazon and delivered to door.
Modified Landmann Black Dog 42 Grill & Smoker
Weber 22.5" One-Touch Gold & 18.5" WSM
Char-Broil Masterflame 7000
Weber Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill
Rehab is for Quitters
meat USER_AVATAR
MEAT
Rustler

Postby MEAT » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:06 am

I've done the $500 name brand (made in China) "thin metal" mail order pit and they just don't last.
Again, if you're looking for a decent (Texas) backyard smoker quality is going to cost you a little more.
JoeG
Pilgrim

Postby JoeG » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:30 am

I feel torn...I am going to swing by Gator Pit possibly today and see if I can open the wallet a little more. I dont mind the Academy Old Coutry Smoker but will prob pay a fortune to have it shipped to AZ. My first intention was, knowing I was coming to TX, to buy the Oklahoma Joes and ship it back. I can't find them online anywhere. OK Joes seems to be at my low end price point and if it last me 5 years I will be happy with that. However, it would be nice to have something just a little custom :mrgreen:
stewdog USER_AVATAR
Stewdog
Wrangler

Postby Stewdog » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:05 am

Does anyone wonder how much of a markup there is in a custom pit. Even with the price of steel where it is $1000 for a pit is steep.
meat USER_AVATAR
MEAT
Rustler

Postby MEAT » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:49 pm

$1000 is a little steep but at the same time spending $500 for a pit that lasts only 5 years adds up.
Why not spend the $1000 on a pit that will last you the rest of your life?
Anyway, another idea (not a Texas pit) is the contact a metal fabricator or welder in your area
and have one made to your liking.
stewdog USER_AVATAR
Stewdog
Wrangler

Postby Stewdog » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:53 pm

I think the local fabricators and the pit makers got together for pricing. It the same.
primetime
Rustler

Postby primetime » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:05 pm

the smoking joes at academy here in san antonio is on sale for $399.99 i was just there
1hr ago

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”