Rednecks Cooking School

Announcements, Roll Call and Results for ALL Competitions and Events.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Rednecks Cooking School

Postby limey » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:48 pm

Just got back a couple of hours ago from Rednecks first cooking school and I was truely impressed.
Jeff goes over everything, discussing and showing all his methods for cooking great barbeque.
We had round table discussions in between meat demonstrations, very laid back and a fun way to do it.
He discussed not only his cooking styles but where to buy his meats, what to look for when picking meats.
Knives, what to use, where to buy, how to sharpen.
Meats, how to trim, what kind of rubs,brines,sauces, how to slice for comps,how to place in trays.
Cooking woods,what to use,where to buy,cooking temps,bad wood,and much more.
Alot of discussion about what judges are looking for, presentation, and other pointers.
Got to meet his son Kyle, who is also an excellent cook, who discussed about making his own spices and sauces.
Can't say enough about all the stuff learned today, I would recommend taking Jeff's class to anybody who wants to
improve there barbeque skills, comp. or backyard. By the way I have cooked comps for about 10yrs. and have had some
calls and wins, but I did learn a lot today.
Jeff also gave his cell # to all students and said several times, if you have any questions about cooking , call me anytime.
Well, sorry I rambled on.
It was great meeting all our bruthers from the forumn and new friends.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Rednecks Cooking School

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:19 pm

Good deal I knew Jeff would put on a great class wish i could have made it.
tarde venientibus ossa....
newbq USER_AVATAR
NewBQ
Outlaw

Postby NewBQ » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:39 pm

I will definitely make one of jeffs classes, I go back to day shift sometime this month, I'll be back on schedule again!
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:15 am

First of all Thanks to all the came. It was great to meet Sancho 65 and his wife Helen, woody and Buzz (Seriously!), and to get to hang out with Limey, Go Meat! (for now?) ,and Bluz.

Now I want to send out a HUGE Thanks to Sucklebusters for sponsoring some great rubs and sauces, and Gator Pit of Texas for also sponsoring this event, To all my bruthas these 2 guys are true bbq people and have the products to send cookers to the next level, so try to use them as much as possible...

Im very pleased with the outcome of yesterdays class, I think that we as a group discussed ever aspect of comp bbq. I would like to possibly hold another in late summer - early fall, if there is enough interest....I had a great time and hope ya'll did also..Again thanks to everyone involved...Red :wink: :lol:
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
bryanm USER_AVATAR
BryanM
Cowboy

Postby BryanM » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:18 am

I'm definitely there on the next one Jeff. Just let me know the date.
woody wood USER_AVATAR
Woody Wood
Bandolero

Postby Woody Wood » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:07 am

I learned so much from Jeff yesterday. I left there with a better understanding in all aspects of cooking, competition, woods, meat selection and preparation. You will not meet a nicer guy and his son Kyle too. By the way I am in if Kyle does a rub class!! It was also great to meet some of the regulars on here like Bluz, Limey, Sancho and Go Meat. These are all great people and I cant wait to see them again.
El Rey Smokers
Traeger
Big Green Egg
MeatChurch BBQ
Oakridge BBQ
Backwoods Spirits

3 Woody's BBQ
gomeat USER_AVATAR
Gomeat
Cowboy

Postby Gomeat » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:39 pm

I gotta say I really enjoyed this class and learned a lot. Ten pages of notes!! Worth every penny, I really didn't expect Jeff to give us the secrets he did, where to buy ribs, the exact rubs he was using. But something that really hit home was the methodology is the important thing, not just the receipes but the temp, timing, when to wrap, etc. This was exactly what I was looking for from someone who has the credentials. That was the first time I have ever seen a Jack Daniels trophy in real life.

Thanks to Jeff, his family and to everyone who was involved. I'll definately be back for the next class just to sit, cook, talk bbq and be Redneck's pit b**&( for a day. I can't wait for the day Jeff looks at me and says "class is over. . . . ." you all know what that means!!! lol

And thanks for taking us to Loco Coyote, will definately hit there again. I'm still full, best fried catfish and commercial bbq I've ever had.
http://timstailgatebbqteam.com/
Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/page ... 4626257902" target="_blank
Hasty Bake Fiesta & Hastings
Klose Smoker
"Acta Non Verba; In Incendia Verum"
bluz USER_AVATAR
Bluz
Outlaw

Postby Bluz » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:59 pm

Great Class Redneck!!! I am not sure what could have been added to make that any better. All of us came away a better cooker whether you want it for your backyard , or the competition. Well Done young man!!!! Yep im with Tim, gonna be a frequent patron to the Coyote Grill. Just not gonna try and find it from the backroads we took from your house.
Bluz

Bluz Q and Custom Cooking
Custom Trailer Pit(Mattie)
Weber Grill
Amana Gas Grill
Weber 22" WSM
Ox190
Bandolero

Postby Ox190 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:36 pm

Hey Bluz follow up meeting at Love and War soon?
Custom vertical offset.
worchard USER_AVATAR
worchard
Rustler

Postby worchard » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:14 pm

You can certianly count me in for the next one. I was really hoping to make this one but my wife had mouth surgery and was still recovering this weekend.
Diamond Plate FAT 50 Square
Team Grills Gone Wild - We Smokin'!
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:26 am

how bout meeting at love and war this coming thursday eve?
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
bluz USER_AVATAR
Bluz
Outlaw

Postby Bluz » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:05 am

I am good with that!!!
Bluz

Bluz Q and Custom Cooking
Custom Trailer Pit(Mattie)
Weber Grill
Amana Gas Grill
Weber 22" WSM
Ox190
Bandolero

Postby Ox190 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:13 am

Don't think I can do Thursday but I will double check.
Custom vertical offset.
sancho65
Pilgrim

Postby sancho65 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:00 am

My wife Ella and I (sancho65) had a blast!!! No beter way to spend a Saturday than with Great people Great Food = Great Time!! Jeff and his family were Great people to meet and we also left with alot of notes, knowledge and memories. We also enjoyed Jeff's presention of all aspects of selection, prep. cooking and presentation of the different kinds of meat he cooked. Jeff aslo gave great advise on comp. tips and pointers. I hope to be invited out for another class ASAP!! We really enjoyed meeting the guys from the Forum and we hope to see more of you all in the future. Jeff also knows how to pick a eating joint WOW!!! And Jeff sure knows his stuff and has a very nice place and you guys know that were there, Some very Lucky dogs!!!! PM me if you didn't get my contact info. Sancho65 (William)
bryanm USER_AVATAR
BryanM
Cowboy

Postby BryanM » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:52 pm

3 star redneck wrote:how bout meeting at love and war this coming thursday eve?

How about Wed night?

Return to “Cookoff Announcements and Results”