The Big Reveal

This is a where news and announcements are posted and questions on how to use the forum.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

The Big Reveal

Postby SteerCrazy » Sat May 19, 2007 4:15 pm

Well I know you guys have been waiting for some detailed pics, so here they are!

The cooking area comes standard with 4 racks. I requested to have another rack for the extra space. As you can see if I plan to do butts or briskets or something I will have to remove 1 of the racks to make head space otherwise if you want a whole mess of reeeeeeebs, well I got 5 racks for ya!

The cooking racks are removeable for easy cleaning. The grate even comes out for easy cleaning as well.

The water pan is located directly below the last rack. Fill her up with 8 gallons of water and then fahgeddaboutit!!
The firebox has it's own lower door with 2 dampers. Ash pan for easy removal of the ashes. Jay mentioned something along the lines of if you run out of coals and are runnin it cold, the upper box will still hold it's heat for a short period of time. No extreme drops in temps!

Bottom dampers

Here is the storage box.....you can put a lot of crap in there!
There are also 2 storage boxes along the sides. They are still ziptied from the trip home and I have not cut them off yet, so no pics on that. Water pan drain valve located in the storage area.
[URL=http://img246.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc02907yo9.jpg][IMG]http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/4474/dsc02907yo9.th.jpg
[/IMG][/URL]

Some of Jay's special touches plus the top smoke stacks which are adjustable.

I can't say enough how pleased I am with this smoker. I'll be firing her up tonight for her maiden cook. I've got 5 slabs of ribs, 2 pork shoulders and a couple of fatty's........think I'll have room??

If anyone is interested in more detailed pics just ask. I know in the past I've wanted to see different parts of the smoker but the pics weren't there. Also, the pictures do not do this smoker justice. It is truly a work of art!
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sat May 19, 2007 6:05 pm

All day I have been smelling someone smoking... I was wundering if the wind was blowin in from KC, but guess not if you haven't fired her up yet.

Man, that thing is beautiful!
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat May 19, 2007 6:30 pm

That is one fantastic rig. :D :D :tup:
I did the same thing, had the extra rack put in for doing ribs. :D :D
It's so beautiful it's almost a shame to use it and get it dirty :shock: :D :D :lol:
Jim
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sat May 19, 2007 11:54 pm

OSD wrote:That is one fantastic rig. :D :D :tup:
I did the same thing, had the extra rack put in for doing ribs. :D :D
It's so beautiful it's almost a shame to use it and get it dirty :shock: :D :D :lol:

I know, I already spilled some pork but injection juice on the door when I was putting them on the racks........WOW, I put to 5+lb butts on the rack and it was like a little nothing on them. The space :shock:

Here's the initial fire. I had to get a 2nd chimney to fire up
I have 2 butts, 5 slabs of spares + maybe 1 or 2 more I'm gonna pick up tomorrow and 2 fatties I'll be smokin, so I chose pecan and cherry wood. decent amount of both

I guess the last pics speak for themselves.......I'll post finished pics tomorrow. I'm battling low temps right now. Jay said most guys deal with it to start, i've got 2 more chimneys to throw in before I hit the hay. Didn't want to overheat the thing!
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Sun May 20, 2007 12:08 am

SteerCrazy wrote:Here's the initial fire. I had to get a 2nd chimney to fire up
. . .
I'm battling low temps right now. Jay said most guys deal with it to start, i've got 2 more chimneys to throw in before I hit the hay. Didn't want to overheat the thing!

:shock: Somehow I don't think startin' w' 2 chimneys'll be enough. That's just a bit bigger than a couple kettles.

Looks pretty god so far, SC. Can't wait for finished pics.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sun May 20, 2007 12:10 am

TX Sandman wrote:
SteerCrazy wrote:Here's the initial fire. I had to get a 2nd chimney to fire up
. . .
I'm battling low temps right now. Jay said most guys deal with it to start, i've got 2 more chimneys to throw in before I hit the hay. Didn't want to overheat the thing!

:shock: Somehow I don't think startin' w' 2 chimneys'll be enough. That's just a bit bigger than a couple kettles.

Looks pretty god so far, SC. Can't wait for finished pics.

seems like it's not. that's what was suggested but my max temp got to 200* I've got 2 more goin and gonna put those in in the next few minutes. I might be up all night watchin this thing :shock:
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Sun May 20, 2007 12:14 am

The thing's we do for our 'cue. :wink:

Good luck with it.
Rob - TX Sandman

Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."

Steven Raichlen
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sun May 20, 2007 12:23 am

TX Sandman wrote:The thing's we do for our 'cue. :wink:

Good luck with it.

You aint kidding!! Especially when you have more people than expected comin over tomorrow for Q. Told my wife to tell them not to expect anything great. :lol: I think it'll turn out just fine
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun May 20, 2007 5:58 am

It's the learning curve. :D I know everything will turn out great for you. :D
Jim
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun May 20, 2007 7:19 am

Well?

I was wondering - what are your control features? The dual pipes sticking up look awesome with smoke pouring out.

Vey nice Dan, it looks really good. Spice did a great job.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun May 20, 2007 8:17 am

Looks like you a keeper there! Would like a pic of the butts as to see how much space is between the racks.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sun May 20, 2007 9:35 am

Alright fellas, and gals. I went to bed at midnight and set my alarm for 3am. Well evidently I turned it off and didn't know it :shock: so needless to say I had to start my chimneys again.

It was hard to get up to 200* with all that water so Ive arranged about 3-4 chimneys in the firebox. I've now just got it up to about 230* comfortably. With the time it takes to start the chimneys I have to keep an eye on it about every 3 hours or so. So far it's holdin heat great and my butts are moving along well. I will be foiling em and puttin em back on. Ive got 5 racks ready to go I'll be slatherin and rubbin down. Figure 6 hours for the racks.

Yes Jim, HUGE learning curve. I take for granted the WSM and didn't realize I had to keep my eye on this thing but hey it's comin out fine.

I like the smoke comin out of the stacks too, just somethin about that!

I've fooled with the bottom dampers and top stacks to kinda see where the temps jump around. I think I have a hold on it and don't wanna over heat the box.

Pics to come! I'll get the space pics for ya Dats
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun May 20, 2007 9:39 am

Looks like you're using wood. Wonder if you could get higher temps faster by using lump? 8)
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sun May 20, 2007 9:41 am

DATsBBQ wrote:Looks like you're using wood. Wonder if you could get higher temps faster by using lump? 8)

Jay recommends charcoal. I've been using that exclusively and he says not to use Lump because it burns too hot. Well I just put in 2 chimneys of lump and my temps have spiked. I'll probably do 1/2 and 1/2 charcoal/lump
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sun May 20, 2007 9:53 am

Whole mess a reeeeeeebs! that pic was for you Gator!

Ok the butt on the right is at 160* prefoil and post foil. Grate space for ya Dats

Each butt is just over 5lbs. Ribs comin up next!

Return to “TBBQF News, Announcements & Help Using the Forum”