Help from New Jersey

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

NJ JIM
Pilgrim

Help from New Jersey

Postby NJ JIM » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:25 am

I am still pretty new to smoking, I have a Smokey electric smoker that I use now.
I have a chance to buy a used Traerger wood pellet smoker/grill, anyone have this type smoker and are you happy with it.
I know I am going against the tradition of using wood, but I'm from New Jersey.

Thanks for the help.
OSD
Retired Lawman

Re: Help from New Jersey

Postby OSD » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:28 am

I'm sure Papa Tom will be along soon. He' uses pellet cookers and will get you some good advise.

In the mean time stop over to the Wanted Posters section and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:19 am

FWIW, my next smoker will more than likely be a pellet muncher. Pellets are wood, no sin there.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:23 pm

Welcome NJ Jim. Yep I have a pellet cooker, actually two of them. I've been using them for 15 years and won't give them up no matter how much smack I catch from the stick burners. I have had and still have stick burners but the pellet cooker does a fine job and it makes things really easy. I'm not gonna say anything is the best but the Traeger does a darn good job. Both of mine are 075s but I think all Traeger models cook similarly.
Like all cookers there is a learning curve to using a PC but the rewards rhyme with unattended cook - good night's sleep.
tarde venientibus ossa....
mramsey
Rustler

Postby mramsey » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:46 pm

A friend of mine and my brother both cook on Traegers and they love them. I have had the bbq that came off the smokers and it was great!

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”