My ribs sucked

Announcements, Roll Call and Results for ALL Competitions and Events.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Wed May 30, 2007 6:38 am

Its the new cooker. Better keep an eye on it. :wink:
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Wed May 30, 2007 11:18 am

1. The Rib
Ok first step is to find some good comp ribs. These be known as pumped Hormels. Only place to find em in my area is Super Target. Reckon you could find some? If so rummage through there and find some in the less than 5 lb a rack range and check out the end bones. Try to snag some which have pencil bones aka round..as opposed to racks which have the flat paddle bones (which is a sign of an old hawg). Also look at the bone side to make sure you dont have any bones which are cross linked (that is a sign of an imbred hawg from Arkieville.)
2. Rib Prep
Turn em into St. Louis styles using your Forschner 6" curved boner and debrain em. Give em a mustard slather and a rub. (Headcountry All Purpose is my favorite). Roll em up and stick em in a plastic bag in the ice box till it time to cook. Overnight work just fine or a few hours if your running short of time.
3. Rib Cooking
Cook em meat side down at a pit temp of 260 until they get done. You can swap em end for end to balance out the heat but dont flip em and dont spill the juice which will accumulate on the concave bone side. After a few hours start testing for doneness by putting on your heat proof dish washing gloves and reach em and tug from side to side on some of the middle bones till it wants to tear the meat fairly easy. When the meat tears easy scoop em up gently maintaining the juice..wrap em tinfoil and stick em in an insulated hot box for at least an hour..half a day is mo betta.
4. Finish and glaze
An hour or two before showtime crack the lid on the hot box and let em start cooling down slowly..eventually reaching the point of taking them out of the hot box an let come to near room temp. About 20-30 min afore turn in stick em back on the pit and hit em "ONCE" on both sides with some glaze. My favorite glaze is Texas Rib Ranger Spicy sauce with a little orange blossom honey in it. Just enough to make it sweet. After the glaze has burned in a little..take em off the pit and slice em. Sprinkle with some mo rub and put em in the turn in tray. Wait for em to call your number. Simple huh?

bigwheel

Burnt Food Dude wrote:
bigwheel wrote:Well you already got my stomach churning on this deal. Sounds like you need some rib lessons:) Send only 5 bucks and I will tell you how to cook ribs. The info is free of course..the 5 bucks is strictly shipping and handling.

bigwheel

The check is in the mail :lol:
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Wed May 30, 2007 11:40 am

That there sounds sounds like a killer recipe BW. I might just send ya check too :wink:
I for sure have it in mind for my next rib cook.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed May 30, 2007 8:10 pm

[quote="bigwheel"]1. The Rib
Ok first step is to find some good comp ribs. These be known as pumped Hormels. Only place to find em in my area is Super Target.

I couldn't disagree more. Those enhanced ribs just plain suck. :roll: :shock:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed May 30, 2007 8:11 pm

[quote="bigwheel"]1. The Rib
Ok first step is to find some good comp ribs. These be known as pumped Hormels. Only place to find em in my area is Super Target.

Sorry BW but I couldn't disagree more. Those enhanced ribs just plain suck. :roll: :shock:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Thu May 31, 2007 9:02 am

Well I know how you feel. Fact is I felt the same way myself at one time. Even went so far as to spend two cooking seasons driving half way across Foat Wuth to find unpumped ribs for contest use. Whut I found was I was getting my coola consistently thumped by folks using pumped Hormels. So I say to myself...self why not give em a try? So I did. The results was immediate and undeniable. The judges liked them much mo betta than the unpumped version which they shoulda been liking. Vividly recall buying about 10 racks of the Hormels when they went on sale for .99 total outlay about 50 bucks...and stuck them in the freezer and used them two at a time per contest. By the time I had run through the 10 racks the 50 bucks has transformed itself into around a thousand. Made a believer outta me. Kroger also has a very good version of pumped ribs called Moist n Tender or similar. I dont like John Morrells or Tyson. Hope this helps.

bigwheel

Return to “Cookoff Announcements and Results”