Keeping Herbs Fresh

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

mgwerks USER_AVATAR
mgwerks
Bandolero

Keeping Herbs Fresh

Postby mgwerks » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:12 pm

If you use fresh herbs as I do, even occasionally, you are probably too familiar with the fact that they just don't last that long once you get them home. Here are a couple of tips for keeping them fresh as long as you can.

For smaller bundles of herbs, here's a trick that works quite well. Separate your herbs by type, and then orient them all together. Pat them dry enough that there is no obvious water on the leaves or stems.

Take a full paper towel, fold in in half four ot five times, and then wet it under the faucet. Squeeze all the water out, so that the paper is just damp. Unfold it all until it is folded just once, and lay your herbs on the paper towel.

Fold the paper towel gently over your herbs. Don't squish them or break the leaves.

Trim the stems to create fresh ends. Place the whole package into a plastic zip top bag and close. If you are saving several different herbs, you can place all the packages in a larger bag together, unless some are very aromatic. Those you might want to store separately.

If you have large bunches of herbs, there's a better way to keep them fresh. I use a LOT of cilantro, so I do this frequently. Clean the bunch of stray or withered stems, and trim the stems a bit to provide newly cut ends (like flowers). Remove any leaves off of the bottom 2-3" of the stems. Using a glass the appropriate size and height, put a couple of inches of fresh water in the glass - try not to use chlorinated or soft water, as neither chlorine or salt is good for you or your food.

Now, take one of the thin plastic bags that all the grocery stores have to put loose veggies in and use it to cover the leafy part of your herbs. Important - leave the bottom of the bag wide open to the air. What you are doing here is creating a little micro-climate for your herbs, contained enough to stay humid but open enough to keep from getting soggy. I have kept fresh herbs over ten days in this manner.

Place your glass of goodness in the fridge, but away from the coldest areas in there. Now get cooking!
Visit my Cooking Blog.

The Armada:
22.5" WSM
MES 30" shorty
42"x24" & 36"x16" stick burners
1966 CharBroil charcoal grill
Weber 18 1/2" Silver
Sam's 32-inch Stainless gas grill (it was free!)
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Re: Keeping Herbs Fresh

Postby JamesB » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:21 pm

Thanks for the tips!
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Sun May 17, 2009 11:58 am

Great tips! I hate when my fresh herbs get yucky after just a few days!
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
newbq USER_AVATAR
NewBQ
Outlaw

Postby NewBQ » Sun May 17, 2009 1:44 pm

Thanks for some good tips!
grizz USER_AVATAR
Grizz
Bandolero

Postby Grizz » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:43 pm

Thanks for the tip....I too love fresh herbs....especially thyme, rosemary and cilantro..
Jeff
GrizzlysBBQ.com

LSG Vertical Cabinet smoker
Bubbakeg (Kamado)
21" WSM

Grizzlysbbq.com

And in the end it’s not the barbecues in your life that count. It’s the life in your barbecues. – Abraham Lincoln
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Postby atcNick » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:52 pm

WOW!! Dude that's great!! I use a LOT of cilantro as well and that stuff goes bad FAST! Thanks for the tip!!!! Kudos!!!
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Lang 84D w/Chargriller SOLD
Weber Performer
22" Weber One Touch Gold Kettle
18" Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Smokey Joe
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:29 pm

Thanks for the tips! Somehow I missed them the first time around.

My wife does the paper towel trick but I have never seen putting them in a vase with water.
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”